Isaac
Years ago

NH: Crows coach Phil Walsh murdered

Walsh, 56, died at the scene despite attempts by ambulance officers to revive him.

He died from multiple stab wounds.

His wife is in hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

His son is also in hospital under police guard. He is undergoing a psychiatric assessment.

His son fled the scene but was found a short time after in Glenelg East.

Topic #37386 | Report this topic

Andy  
Years ago

Crazy news to wake up too.

Reply #535381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Puts life and sport into perspective!!

Reply #535382 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

So sad!!!

Reply #535383 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Huge article on him in the Geelong news papers today ahead of their game v the Cats, so tragic...

Reply #535384 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Tragic news.

Reply #535388 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Terrible to hear.Sounded like a great guy and a good coach as well.

Reply #535390 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

Was a serious wtf moment when I heard the news, had to check a few sources before I believed it. Despite not knowing him personally I greatly admired him as a coach, his direct no nonsense style but loved by his team. Time to get away from the stupidly named showdown and make it the Phil Walsh cup to honour his great contributions to both clubs. Thoughts go out to his loved ones, vale Coach Walsh.

Reply #535396 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

How is this Hoops related?

Reply #535397 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I hope they call off the game on the weekend: far too often I here the 'Oh but Playing will help people get over it/things/life'.

ACtually its just a game. Call the game off as a mark of respect.

Reply #535399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matthew, you don't know how people respond to these situations. Lost my best friend on a Monday, played my worst game ever on Wednesday but then played my best game on Friday. Some may want to pay to honor him, others may find it too hard. Each to their own.

Reply #535401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way will the Crows/Geelong game on Sunday go ahead and Tredrea has called for the AFL to cancel all remaining games this weekend too. That's a bit OTT but the Crows game should be called off.

Not a great 12 months for SA sport Phil Hughes and now Phil Walsh.

Reply #535404 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

RMQ, it's in the AFL category and marked as "non-hoops" as has been done with non-basketball topics in the past. An AFL forum like Big Footy actually has NBA discussions on it - sometimes there's crossover.

Given it's not overwhelming the site with content and is clearly marked and easy to ignore, I'm not sure there's a problem.

Reply #535405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply wasn't necessary Isaac^, RMQ should have enough nouse to read that it was AFL related. I am not sure the game should be called off, they can honour him at the game, but timing isn't great so either way it is a tough call for everyone involved.

Reply #535421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a sook his son was. Man up you loser

Reply #535427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I am not sure the game should be called off, they can honour him at the game,"

Thats up to the players as to whether they want to play.

"What a sook his son was. Man up you loser"

What the fuck? What kind of idiot makes a comment like that in regards to this sort of tragedy?

Reply #535429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is bear?

He's obviously from Geelong.

Is it Matthew Cowling?

Reply #535435 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Wow, I was right. Since Ozhoops forums closed down, all the street trash HAS moved here. Im gonna take a break till the new NBL season starts.

Reply #535437 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yup^, sadly many more online trash talking trolls around. Just announced, they will split the points and call the game off. RIP Phil...

Reply #535447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God I haven't hear cowling's name mentioned for a while. He was alright especially compared to the garbage they have at big v now.

Reply #535450 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Given the enormity of the situation I am sure people can shut up and accept that this topic can happen here.

It is all everyone is talking about; I am sure one thread shouldn't affect the basketball purists too much surely?

I don't care about footy, but I find this occurrence of interest.

Reply #535455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With GWB on this one. Very tasteless remarks ruining this thread might be better if it's locked

Reply #535459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is he a troll. He's not against phil walsh he's against his son the guy who actually murdered him. Are people here in favour of the son?

Reply #535474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

474, what a ridiculous comment. Of course people are not in favour of the son, but to post "man up you loser" is just plain bad taste.

Reply #535486 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

The words "sook" and "loser" aren't helpful and completely disrespectful today. Just STFU. There is a big difference between "feeling depressed" and actually having depression. Read a book FFS.

Of course no one here is in "favour" of the son (what an absurd statement), but he had been suffering from depression. While obviously that is no excuse, we don't know the circumstances so stop being dicks.

RIP Phil.

Reply #535493 | Report this post

Jono  
Years ago

Well said GWB ... some people man :s

Reply #535507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Police probe ice link. No suprise ratbag son a drug addict.

Reply #535691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is becoming a massive issue in SA

Reply #535702 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ice is a big problem in a few areas and country towns. Very easy to make and with unemployment in the community rising, expect it to get a whole lot worse as criminal gangs profit.

Reply #535704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems pretty complicated to make on breaking bad ha ha

Reply #535709 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

Can those comments that do not offer condolences, respect for Phil Walsh or anything like that be removed immediately. This is something bigger than football and basketball. It is a tragic situation where a lot of people, basketball related or not, that wish to show some respect to a loss of not just a top coach but a human being. Making snide comments or theories about the son will not help the situation and the family are the ones I feel sorry for not the fools/trolls that bring their pathetic points of view to this forum.

Reply #535710 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754