GWB
Years ago

Baynes will not be in the Oceania series.

Baynes apparently had minor ankle surgery and will be unavailable for the series. Wondering how we will score inside now. Is Bogut still capable of putting the ball in the hole?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/us-sports/nba-aussie-big-man-aron-baynes-cant-wait-to-call-detroit-pistons-home/story-e6frf6ju-1227431701475

Topic #37419 | Report this topic

Greggo  
Years ago

Just as capable as Baynes I reckon. Capable finisher around the rim, 'decent' post play, had a bit of a jumpshot a few years ago when he was allowed to use it. Will probably revel in getting a touch on offense.

Also our projected backups are pretty good scorers (Bairstow, Motum, Jawai, Anderson?)

Reply #536067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the selectors have any sense/brain at all, please pick Thon Maker as Baynes' replacement. That way we can tie him up with the boomers for years to come.

Reply #536103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous 103, you don't think the selectors have already thought of this???

More like trying to convince his guardian/ manager to get Thon on board.

Reply #536106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it's looking like...?

Mills/exum
Dellavedova/Goulding
Broekhoff/newley/blanchfield
Motum/bairstow/Anderson
Bogut/jawai

No ingles, baynes or Simmons.

Reply #536108 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That line up looks like it will not be far from the mark.

Reply #536110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Exum doesn't play not sure about his ankle maybe Greenwood for the last spot

Reply #536111 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Bogut is actually playing for Australia? Beijing would be the last time wouldn't it? I kind of assumed he just wouldn't risk injury anymore, at this point in his career.

Reply #536116 | Report this post

Chi  
Years ago

Yeah I'm a bit surprised Bogut would risk playing in the Oceania series if he is that keen/committed to Rio but I guess iif he knows it is his last chance then he wants to make sure they get there. I hope for his (and our) sakes he makes it to the Olympics injury free

Reply #536121 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Exum just rolled his ankle - for now he will be fine.

Reply #536123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will we even make the Olympics?
Nz aren't pushovers.

Reply #536125 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

If we play our best or very close to it, we should beat NZ. I to would be very surprised to see Bogut playing in a Boomers jersey but would be cool.

Reply #536126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would there be such a surprise to see Bogut playing he has already publicly stated that he will be unless something drastic happens between now and then I would expect to see him out there.

Reply #536132 | Report this post

gwb  
Years ago

Anonymous, even without baynes we are overwhelming favourites to win. It would be a big slip up for us to lose this series and I doubt lemanis would keep his job.Dthis will still be a great team

Reply #536133 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If NZ had Pledger, Penney and T Webster available this would be a very competitive series, and if they had Cedric Jackson naturalised it would be line ball. But they have none of those things, and they have replaced a very experienced international coach with a rookie, albeit a talented one, which makes things even tougher.

Having said that, for how well Vucinic got his teams to match up with European teams he always struggled with the Aussie matchups as our players are used to that style of play. I wonder if Henare will go about things a little differently.

Reply #536150 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Backup centre worries me. Jawai moves like a glob of treacle these days.

Reply #536249 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

I'd probably put Gibbo in the squad as well. Hard nut who is suited to international basketball where you can't afford to be soft.

Reply #536252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penney has retired from International Basketball. Is not in the squad.

Reply #536299 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:58 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754