Iggle Piggle
Years ago

Sixers need to get a move on with signings

Looks like other teams are picking up quality players and building exciting rosters. So far the Sixers have lost Schenscher, Motum and in return we have signed two development players. Lisch, Childress, Ogilvy, Wilbelkin and Khazzou all signed recently and we have recruited two DP's who barely hit the court last season. Am I right to be worried?

Topic #37421 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide has retained a lot of it core that has seen it get to the finals two years in a row including a grand final series and that seems to be a big thing in this league. DJ is every bit of a premier player in the NBL as those players mentioned, Gibson didn't have a great season last year but is a boomer and they have a team full of great role players (Creek, Petrie etc.) I get a feeling they are focusing more on imports this year than in previous years rather than top Aussies such as Motum. So in short, I would have faith in what they are doing. Time will tell I guess though.

Reply #536069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't panic, we signed imports way too early last time and then watched others get the likes of childress and wilby. Wait for summer league to end and then hopefully we swoop on a quality import.

Reply #536071 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

does anyone actually think Gibson is anything other than an ex-boomer, at least as far as the actual tournament team for world champs and Olympics are concerned .

I think he has done a great job with maximising his potential, but like Petrie , he must at best be on a plateau slightly below his beat, at worst slightly past the edges of a downward slope ?

DJK does seem to be a much changed player ( for the better) after his stint OS, but thats about it, every other team as gotten better I think.

Reply #536072 | Report this post

Birdman  
Years ago

Completely agree 36ers should have signed Worthington to the 10th man position, I mean what are they thinking

Reply #536075 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Iggle Piggle, you've forgotten Walker. If Sobey has some ability, that's fine. And the last spot doesn't really matter if they're concentrating budget elsewhere. Still have two imports to get. No point mentioning Wilbekin, Childress, Lisch, etc if we are waiting on summer league and so on.

We have Gibson, Petrie, Johnson, Sobey, Hodgson, Creek, Walker. Did Teys stay? Leaves the two import spots. One is effectively replacing Motum which is feasible.

Reply #536077 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Agree other teams signing big players has put them ahead at least on paper. Adelaide with a quality list but the quality of the imports is really gonna decide whether we are a middling team that gets a few wins or a top four contender.

Reply #536078 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

With Sobey and Hodgson signed on top of Walker and retaining DJ, Creek, Gibson, Petrie that just leaves 2 imports which we usually wait to see what we can get from guys who didn't quite cut the NBA.

Can't complain with DJ/Creek/Gibson/Petrie - that's a very good group there, Walker is a reasonable addition and Sobey and Hodgson won't be needed to play much because you'd ideally want 8 players getting almost all of the playing time. The two imports will be important.

Reply #536082 | Report this post

Iggle Piggle  
Years ago

Sorry forgot Walker but still do not like that signing personally. Walker is a decent player but his game to me is to similar to Creeks. Gibbo and Peach are getting on in years now, we will now see the decline in both. All the great available Aussies have been snapped up, United looking scary good with Goulding and Blanchfield. Imports are to hit and miss and I do not love putting all our stocks in getting great ones when most proven good ones have been snapped up.

Reply #536094 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Sixers have got a solid group so far with 3 spots to fill. I think the confirmed signings are: (please correct me if wrong)

Johnson / Hodgson
Petrie / Walker
Creek
Sobey
Gibson (c)

I think we can say that Luke has probably played his last Sixer's game, Teysie is unsure and Motum has returned to the NBA fringe (obviously stealing the NBA spot of a Cairns Taipan)

I agree that the import spot(s) is the one to watch. The current squad is a pretty fast squad, but I would like to see someone who can hit the three in there. It would seem unlikely that we would get a AJ type Centre, so with the Red Fox out of Wollongong, could we chase a former MVP?

Reply #536097 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

We chose to not re-sign Schenscher (right decision I'd say), Wilson (was good, but if we can find someone better, then even better, import position, so got thousands of options to replace him), Anthony (was already on injury waivers), Daly (no big loss) and at this point, Teys (rumoured to be signed/in contention).
None of them have been picked up elsewhere.
We picked up Walker from Melbourne and Sobey from Cairns and signed Hodgson from (wherever he was). And we re-signed the 4 Aussies we needed to in Petrie, Gibson, DJ and Creek.
We lost Motum, which was no fault of ours, we were just lucky to get him last year and now he's moved onto a higher level, where he belongs. He was filling an import position, so will be replaced by in import.
Realistically, Lisch was the only existing import that's changed clubs in the off-season, and he's been out of the league for a couple years, so unless we thought we had a shot at Wilbekin or Childress (dreaming), then that's all the imports that are known to us that have been signed. As far as I can tell, no new imports have been signed yet. Might be wrong on that, but I don't think I am.
So we've got Teys' position to sort out, be that him or someone else, then we're with every other club in looking for some new imports to the league. Not necessarily a positive off-season yet, but we've done well to sign the guys we wanted to keep, let the guys we didn't go, and brought in a few new faces to the club.

Reply #536100 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Im starting to get a little nervous about the import spots, but having said that, probs more so to with all the talent being signed around the league. As long as we get legit game breakers, and not go on the cheap ala last season, we will compete. Dj will be a massive boost compared to coming in late last season. All star 5 calibre....

Reply #536124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Cooley, the guy motums probably up against for a roster spot at Utah, had 13 and 13 in 16 minutes. He keeps that up and you can pencil motum in as their starting power forward again

Reply #536136 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Every year people list a range of teams who have got better based on signings, then the season comes around and generally it's the teams who play best together who succeed. Adelaide have kep their core so will automatically be a playoff contender, and as people have said the import selections (I'd say a gun guard and a sparkplug forward) will determine if they are a title contender.

Reply #536146 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Rayvonte Rice as an import would be a nice addition...would like to see him in 36er blue.

Reply #536153 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Bring back Diamon Simpson as one of the Imports please.

Reply #536160 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Im actually more concerned with my Wildcats roster. We seem to have a Plethora of Guards but very few Forwards.

Reply #536171 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Joey Wright is in the US scouting Summer League imports. Unless you're bringing back a known and available commodity, that's about what you'd expect from the coach.

Reply #536178 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Whats Hooleys chances of making the roster? If not 36ers, then another NBL team?

Reply #536195 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Matthew, unless something has changed the Wildcats have Knight, Jervis, Redhage, Wagstaff and Hire in the frontcourt with an import to come at SF. Nothing to worry about.

Reply #536198 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Seen the highlight tapes of the guys he is taking to the invitational, they amount to a whole lot of average. Probably should have kept Jamar on a lower salary and chased an Ennis type. Look forward to another year of lacklustre sixers imports!

Reply #536202 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

most likely teys is done.1year

Reply #536225 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Im actually more concerned with my Wildcats roster. We seem to have a Plethora of Guards but very few Forwards.

Say What?
We currently have only 3 guards, 5 centres & forwards, plus another import forward to come.

Aside from the upcoming USA scouting for that import forward, the only remaining issue is filling that 10th bench (guard) spot.

Reply #536229 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

BMF, you would think Hooley would be a nice pickup as a 10 man on a roster. Previous NBL experience and great US experience. Would possibly only be a 1 pointer.

Reply #536246 | Report this post

Titfortat  
Years ago

Hooley still has a year left of college doesn't he?

Reply #536274 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Boti mentions Daniel Carlin, Kenyon McNeail, Darnell Dodson.

As guys on Joeys summerleague team that would be decent fits for the 36ers.

Carlin is a Aussie big, could be insurance for injury to Hodgson.

McNeail is a combo guard who can shoot.

Dodson who is a sf who spent a season at Kentucky.

All seem to be the right style of players they 36ers should be looking at imo.

Be interesting to see if we sign any of them.

I personally hope we get atleast one more proven star import, a stud with some NBA on the resume would be even better, id love to see a Ebi Ere, Donta Smith type fill the SF spot.

Reply #536277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least one or both of the 36ers imports needs to be stars for us to be a playoff contender, they would be replacing Wilson & Motum.

Reply #536280 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'd say a fit Johnson is Motum's replacement.

Reply #536286 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Is Jamar definitely off the radar for you guys?

Reply #536289 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:50 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754