hoopla
Years ago

Are 36ers bringing back the cheerleaders?

Word on the street is that the 36ers will not bring back the cheerleaders this year.

Topic #37427 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you just ask and answer your own question? Because I think you just asked and answered your own question.

Reply #536185 | Report this post

hoopla  
Years ago

no, someone changed the title

Reply #536187 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Your title was "Have 36ers sacked cheerleaders".

Which is still aiming to ask a question. And used "sacked" when it's possibly a case of not extending a contract.

Reply #536189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely they are not even thinking about it??????????

No cheerleaders, no NBL!

Reply #536190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah seems like a dumb move, this is s must. Hell half time/timeouts etc are bad enough. Love the girls

Reply #536192 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Geez, going to make for boring timeouts and the likes.
Not sure what the pay command is but wouldnt have thought it would eat too much up!!

Reply #536196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually heard that they had to pay their own memberships, not sure of the validity of that though.

Reply #536205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumb dumb move if true.

Reply #536210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't really refer to them as cheerleaders, never see them actually get the crowd cheering.

Mostly just Calisthenics dancers that can do the splits and lift their legs in the air.

If they are back, I'd like to see them actually doing dances that get the crowd clapping. They are meant to be keeping the crowd loud.

Reply #536212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they are there more to entertain than keep the crowd up.

Reply #536223 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Do they get into that Voodoo dance thing over In Adelaide?

Reply #536230 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Matthew, we are Adelaidians, crude dances like the "voodoo dance" are not considered appropriate. We'll leave that dance to you savages from the West ;)

Reply #536244 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It may get down to sponsorship. and money

Don't know what the girls get, but let's say a nominal $50 each per game (?). There's 9 of them plus the two talent co-ordinators, plus uniforms, plus training stuff, so you're probably looking at a sponsorship package of $10 - 20K for the season.

Muzz Buzz and Fruchocs were sponsoring last few seasons I think.

We can probably find a dozen dance girls keen to do it, surely we could find a company to sponsor them. Triple Zero Dancers?

The best sponsor would be a FMCG company. People like handouts (e.g. Fruchocs) and the dancers are the ones to do it.

Reply #536245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely they would be back. Is there a pro basketball team in the world that doesn't have cheerleaders of some sort? (Probably, I don't really know).

Reply #536255 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Let's call a spade a spade, the 36ers cheerleaders are far better looking than the potatoes we have over here in Perth so if they want to dance over here then we'll accept the eye candy!

But seriously it seems rather early in proceedings to make this call!
Are they not wanting to learn new routines as sponsorship isn't there to back them?

Are 36ers keeping their "Australian Outdoor Living" floor sweepers that they must tell us who sponsors them for every drop of sweat... I think it's clever sponsoring but I find it hard to believe the company would rather the floor sweeping than cheerleaders

Reply #536281 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I was under the assumption the girls were volunteers. However, there would be other costs such as uniforms involved etc which would more than likely require coverage by way of sponsorship.

Reply #536290 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, they would get paid. $80/game or whatever it might be. Wouldn't be surprised if they had to organise sponsorship/funding for uniforms themselves though.

Reply #536292 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Oh, "Australian Outdoor Living" sponsor the floor sweepers, would never have known..........

Reply #536295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They havent been all the great for last few years. Back in the 90's they did proper routines, now days its just some smiles and basic clapping. Might actually encourage the club to put on decent entertainment as the cheerleaders and fruitchoc guy is pretty plain.

Reply #536296 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Potatoes? Dude, you need to get those eyes checked.

Also Jack Toft: Ill gladly keep those gyrating crude dancers/cheerleaders over here!.

Bring on the Voodoo!

Reply #536303 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

It is my understanding that the whole team was contracted to the 36ers by the choreographer and quite well paid. My guess would be that the new owners, particularly at the top, may not see this as being important or the type of acceptable entertainment on game night.

Reply #536320 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I had the opportunity to go to a Knicks game last season (yes, during their worst tanking season in their history), and was surprised at how many times the cheerleaders performed. They were on just once in the first quarter. After that, they were not to be seen for the rest of the game.

I don't know whether that was because it was just a 'run of the mill' Tuesday night game, or the fact they were on a 13 game losing streak at that point, but the effort levels the Knicks put in during their game night entertainment was really low. Made for a poor atmosphere overall.

Like them or not, don't care or not, but cheerleaders do add to the game night experience and they certainly will make a noticeble difference if they are not there. Guess Sixers fans will notice this when it happens. I think it will be a bad move to make if its a financial decision.

Reply #536387 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Let's call a spade a spade, the 36ers cheerleaders are far better looking than the potatoes we have over here in Perth so if they want to dance over here then we'll accept the eye candy!

Positive proof that time-travellers exist.
Check the calender dude, you've landed in 2015, not the 1970's.

Reply #536397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boston Celtics don't have cheerleaders or crap music, you can actually hear the sound of the players playing basketball

Reply #536413 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

True, but the Celtics are one of the most famous NBA clubs, which their city adore. Their fans have a long good standing with the team. They probably don't need to rely on cheerleaders for extra entertainment. Each market is different.

Reply #536459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well along with no direct communication to members due to persistant dropping off mailing list or just no communication the past few years and all the issues off court I am glad I didn't renew this year. Disappointed with losing Schensh especially with DJ back and previous season seeing them work well in the switch and inside outside for both of them improving. Other teams are bringing some height and our newby has injury issues despite being young. The kids love the cheerleaders and it is obvious that for many non sporty girls in the crowd they idolise the ladies and go to dance classes with dreams of one day joining the group. Like the lightning cheerleaders who despite the different approach to music bring in juniors to the court join them and celebrate youth and have a succession plan. How unfortunate that the basketball vision is limited. What will the girls who dress up every week and run to the race to meet their dance hero's and alternative to sport to stay fit. Who will Mitchy flirt with now and who will all the teen boys oogle at now !!!

Reply #536462 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Having been to NBL games bachk when they were played at Apollo Stadium and even Bowden Stadium and then resumed going after it moved to the Power House, one of the first impressions that struck me was that it had become more than just a game, it was a full night of entertainment.
There was always something going on on the court.

It has always felt like the cheerleaders are a part of the package that comes with top level basketball.

Basketball has a lot of "dead time" (Timeouts as well as the quater time and half time breaks, and the crowd needs to be entertained through these times.
If they don't have the cheerleaders then it wil be interesting to see what they are replaced with.

Reply #536463 | Report this post

Nix 79  
Years ago

I saw an ad on Instagram for the 36ers dancers saying that info on auditions was coming soon and nothing since.....so maybe it's true??

It's a shame if it comes down to a money thing. I know the Lightning cheerleaders do it for the love of dance and performing. They do not get any payment or sponsorship whatsoever, and in fact pay for their own costumes, accessories, make up, etc themselves.

Maybe the 36ers people should get the Lightning girls onboard if money is the problem....I'm sure they would do it for free!

Reply #536522 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anonymous, what did you mean by the different approach to music? Just curious!

Like the lightning cheerleaders who despite the different approach to music bring in juniors to the court join them and celebrate youth and have a succession plan.

Reply #536531 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anonymous, what did you mean by the different approach to music? Just curious!

Like the lightning cheerleaders who despite the different approach to music bring in juniors to the court join them and celebrate youth and have a succession plan.

Reply #536532 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bring back the Navy Seals

Reply #536558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't go to an NBL game if there were no cheerleaders! I would just not go, so there, NBL your loss.

Reply #536566 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Really???? So you actually don't care about the basketball???

Reply #536802 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

36ers are advertising auditions for the cheerleaders so I guess they are having a team this season!

Reply #537856 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754