Isaac
Years ago

Boomers recover, beat Puerto Rico

The Boomers beat Puerto Rico last night, 106-78, and posted the biggest score of the tournament to date. It was a fair turnaround from Australia's thrashing by Argentina in the previous game where they managed only 57.

Helliwell was strong with 17 points and 11 rebounds, Saville recovered from previously bad form to post 20 points (7/13 FG), Bruton and Worthington had 15 (Bruton adding 7 assists) and Loughton had 12 points and 7 boards. Jacob Holmes played 27 minutes for 6 points (2/5 FG, 2/2 FT), 5 rebounds and 2 assists. Oscar Forman got under 8 minutes (0/3 FG) for a rebound and an assist.

Boxscore

Topic #3743 | Report this topic

gertrude  
Years ago

9/22 from 3 point land is quite good.
in my opinion, i think oscar is a lot more likely to succeed at international level than jacob, probably mainly due to his extra 3 inches.....IMO, jacob's game appears of a fairly similar standard to 12-18 months ago, whereas oscar is certainly still on the improve.
would be interested to hear your thoughts, especially isaac?

Reply #43548 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The difference if you go by the official height on the Boomers roster is 3cm (205 to 202), which really isn't that much.

I think that, if there is a difference at that level between the two of them, it will be shooting rather than height.

Both may find it tough to get a position on future teams with all players available because you'd have Nielsen getting back into the line-up at their position (they're both playing the 3 in this roster along with Saville). Bogut in there immediately enables other players to maybe move down a position. Or if Newley comes in as a 2, Worthington (not sure if he's playing 2 or 4) may take time in their spot.

I'm no expert, but Jake's strengths are a bit of everything. He has the right attitude, isn't scared to put up shots, can get to the line, and makes assists. He also seems to have excellent stamina. Oscar's opportunities will come down to simply being a 6'9" player who can come off the bench to hit the three and still contest for rebounds.

As someone was saying to me recently (Stephon?), if you played Willie Farley one-on-one against Steve Kerr, Farley would probably win. But Kerr has the rings because he could come off the bench and hit shots at a fairly solid percentage.

I think this month will have been huge for Oscar's development, whereas Jake has already been to a Boomers camp and learnt from that experience. Also, during this ABL season, Oscar has played an increased offensive role with the Sabres (much like Eastern's reliance on Jacob last year) -- I think that's improved his stamina playing 40+ minutes, and definitely his offensive options - he's been making a lot of one-step moves this year and shooting over solid defense, rather than hitting open jumpshots (like with the Sixers in 2004).

It's going to be a tough year with the Sixers though. The perception on improvement is sometimes on statistics, and I can't see where either of them are going to increase their scoring and rebounding output, given that Nash (and possibly Rogers) will be in the mix, and that you're adding Brad Hill's increased time (I'm assuming) as well.

Reply #43549 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

thanks for your opinion....very interesting, however i have played against both of these boys, and if oscar only has 3cm on jacob, then you can call me freddy......must be more than this...the official heights aren't always that accurate.
IMO, i think oscar will continue to develop his all round game for another 2-3 years, and may well find himself above jacob in the boomers pecking order.
having siad this, jacob will now probably come out and average 20 and 10 this season.
good luck to both of them i reckon.

Reply #43568 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:12 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754