Anonymous
Years ago

DeAndre Jordan backs out of Mavs deal, returns to LAC

The word is that Jordan is thinking of backing out of the deal with the Mavs.
Not good form!

Surely after Hedo did this in the past there must be some ruling. Mavs may have missed out on signing someone else or keeping Chandler due to this agreement.

Is there such a rule?

Topic #37431 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What rule could there be? Players must not make a verbal commitment unless they're super serious about signing with that team?

Reply #536307 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25236749/report-the-clippers-have-seized-deandre-jordans-house-kind-of

Some crazy stuff going on as I post lol

Reply #536310 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bad move by DeAndre to put himself in this situation. He will cop it for going back on the verbal (Mavs had proceeded to make other decisions as a result) and the Clippers will share most-hated with Cleveland if it happens.

You can imagine how DeAndre didn't think through the repercussions and it snowballed. "I'll just tell Blake that I'm unsure" ... then x guys barricading in his house. Blake's just posted a joking photo of a chair wedged against the front door.

First game between the teams, I can imagine Cuban wanting some endless hack-a-Jordan.

Best bet to salvage the situation is for DeAndre to clear the house, bring Cuban in and tell him how he's feeling. Either follow through with the Mavs deal and make the most of it, or find some way to return to the Clippers but make peace with Cuban (good luck...). Bad move to not clear the air adequately.

Reply #536311 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

DeAndre Cherry-Evans ;)

Reply #536312 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Supposedly it's done. He's returning to LAC and ditching the Mavs. Shitstorm brewing over this. Too easy for teams to think they have the deal done and start making other moves.

Reply #536323 | Report this post

Birdman  
Years ago

A ridiculous effort by Mavs if they were making subsequent moves without getting a signature on paper. Cuban knows better than most that the deal isn't done til its signed.

Reply #536325 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

'Money-Ball' at its best!

Reply #536329 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

wonder if this will change any other "verbal agreements"

Reply #536336 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This is on DeAndre Jordan. Made his reversal decision and then didn't have the decency to explain to the Mavs in a timely fashion or sort things out without it becoming an absolute circus.

He's an adult. The Clippers and his team mates didn't help him make a better decision, but ultimately it was his call to freeze out Cuban and his agent. Obviously it wasn't in LAC's interest to encourage him to explain himself to Cuban before midnight - they wouldn't want any risk of another turnaround.

Reply #536343 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Nope. It's different to Daly Cherry-Evans because Cherry-Evans signed a contract, Jordan did not. Don't give me this bullshit 'he gave his word', until someone signs on the dotted line it's not a contract.

Reply #536344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there no such thing as verbal contracts?

Doesn't a persons word mean anything?

Pity the Mavs couldn't take some form of action against Jordan. So what if an elite player verbally agreed to a deal with another top team in their conference. That team makes trades to fit this elite player in then the elite player stays at the original team. It's cheating!

Reply #536347 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

the whole being able to negotiate with players but not sign doesn't make sense, for this exact reason. just let them sign from day 1.

Reply #536349 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yep, they need to remove the "moratorium" period between the start of negotiating and when you can sign. Makes now sense. From what I've been reading, you cant even technically "verbally commit", but teams and players just do it on a trust basis.

I cant see what is so hard about not opening the free agency period until you can sign a player. Otherwise what is the point? If it delays the free agency frenzy by a week then so be it.

Its poor form by Jordan to go back on his word, but he's officially still done nothing wrong and going back to the Clippers will move them up with the Spurs and Mavs as clear favourites next season. After losing only Barnes and Hawes and adding (so far) Pierce and Stephenson (and also Wes Mathews) they've certainly added that bench depth they needed.

Reply #536360 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Cram, Clips Getting Matthews? I would have thought they would be targeting back up bigs?

Reply #536362 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

They aren't getting Wes, he actually has some balls and is signing with the Mavs even after Jordan did his crap.

Reply #536366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"until someone signs on the dotted line it's not a contract."

Not that is applies here but there is such thing as a verbal contract and they can be legally binding.

Reply #536367 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

It isn't binding in the NBA it is just an assumed code of conduct that teams and players don't screw with each other over these verbal deals.

DJ and the Clippers just ignored this, so it will be interesting to see if there is any repercussions from other teams and players.
Just in terms of bad blood and disgust.

It really screws up the process going forward.
To the point that the NBA will have to make changes.
ie allow players to sign contracts from day 1 of free-agency.

Reply #536374 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Sorry my bad, Wes Johnson.

Reply #536376 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Yeah that was a good signing for the minimum.

Reply #536378 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

I think this is a dog move. Just plain rude. But it is not like the US is the only place this sort of thing happens.

Anyone remember one CJ Bruton and his exit to Europe via New Zealand?

In fact, has he even made it to Europe yet? Even for a holiday?

Reply #536383 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

David, calm down. The Cherry-Evans reference was tounge and cheek.

Regardless of whether or not he signed, its not good faith practice and even worse his conduct towards the Mavs after it.

Reply #536389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Welcome home DJ. Salt levels are through the roof in Dallas

Reply #536391 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Not a Mavs fan by any stretch, but this is all sorts of dodgy. On both DJ's part, and the Clips' hostage party shenanigans. I think DJ could have at least given Cuban a meeting before the deadline, if only to explain his decision to renege. A classless move on his part.

I don't ever wish injury on anyone and am not a believer in "karma" good or bad, but if CP3's crappy hamstrings blow out (he had an injury-free season, he's due), or Blake's knees explode or Pierce develops osteoporosis or dementia, I will not feel bad for them.

The NBA need to drop the "moratorium period" and just introduce immediate free agency once the players contracts end at midnight July 1st.

Does anyone know why the moratorium exists in the first place?

Reply #536396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs next signing: Matthew dellavedova

Reply #536401 | Report this post

Jimbob  
Years ago

Very average from DJ and the clips. At least have a meeting with Cuban and tell him to his face.

Reply #536415 | Report this post

tupz  
Years ago

As someone told me during the Cherry Evans saga - don't hate the player, hate the game.

Reply #536418 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Mavs are not in the playoff hunt now. Dirk's final year(s) is now going to be pretty miserable - lots of suggestions they let players recover slowly from injury and tank for a pick.

I believe the odd negotiating/signing timing thing is because they need to wait until the salary cap figures are worked out? That only happened today for the coming season.

Reply #536424 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Yeah they let teams and player talk contracts 1 week before they have a definite salary cap figure for the next year.

They need to just make everyone wait until they know the cap number, then just open free-agency and allow players to sign straight away.

DJ and Clippers have opened Pandora's Box and the NBA will need to make changes to close it.

Reply #536436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worked out ok for Matthews
They just changed his contract to $70m over the four years ($57m originally).

He's not worth that money especially off an injury.

Reply #536446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stay loyal DeAndre :')

Reply #536650 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:06 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754