Anonymous
Years ago

Are the Boomers the highest paid team in AU sport?

r the boomers the highed payed team in Australian sport

(Mod: Topic title updated to something better.)

Topic #37465 | Report this topic

Roger  
Years ago

Cricket Australia Chairman Wally Edwards said in a press release on the 1st of May this year that:
"As it stands, Australia's cricketers are the highest-paid athletes of any team sport in the country"

Of course he is clearly wrong.

Whatever way you look at it, Basketball is clearly the way to earn bigger money than any other team sport we play.

Even without Mills and Ingles, (projected to earn a combined US $5.3m this coming year) the Boomers team that plays NZ at Rod Laver in August will be the highest earning Aussie sports team ever to play in this country.

Even our Opals are clearly the highest paid women's team sport with Liz Cambage just signing the biggest contract ever for a woman in any team sport.

Reply #537056 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

I think that you are looking at it from a different viewpoint to Cricket Australia, and probably most of the general public would. The Australian cricket team gets paid the most for playing for Australia or for an Australian team. Basically they wouldn't be counting NBA/European etc. money. I can see the logic either way. If you count O/S money then you are counting the players net worth, if you count "Australian" money then you are counting the teams worth to the country (in monitory terms).

Reply #537057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

60% of Australian cricket revenues come from India

Reply #537061 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

How much money do the players get paid to play in the green & gold? Not a lot I'd guess.

Reply #537065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you averaged out dollars earnt per player in the squad over the last 10 years I thought soccer would have won out.

This year with Bogut back in and more players on nba rosters it would likely be the boomers.

Reply #537067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have thought the Socceroos made more money as well.

Reply #537088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez Roger are you on drugs?? The Aussie cricketers would have to be on the highest level of pay. The Boomers as individuals may earn a lot around the world collectively but the Boomers are paid pay SFA to represent this country.

Reply #537091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the OP specify "pay" as in just per game to the wear green and gold, or the total amount of dollars earnt via all contracts signed while representing the national team as well as in club play (nba, ipl, epl, etc), endorsements, appearances, etc?

Reply #537093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read the question from the OP. The answer unequivocally is no. The Boomers as a team get paid not a lot.
If you want to extrapolate the TEAM thing cricket would win, oh you forget Soccer, Union too, so go away.

Reply #537095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Individually based on the teams they are contracted to? Probably
Based on payments they receive for playing for the national team? Probably not

Michael Clarkes Cricket Australia contract apparently was worth $3.2 million this year. Would Boomers player payments get to that combined?

Reply #537103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and irony of it all is BOOMERS are yet to medal unlike the OPALS who a ranked way higher in the world of basketball, yet BOOMERS earn way more than the OPALS

Reply #537114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That because womans basketball is BORING and has a lot less PEOPLE watching it. The amount you get PAID as a professional isn't based on whether you have won a MEDAL or not.

Reply #537120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha I would of thought that was OBVIOUS but I guess NOT. Even the best CROQUET player in the world probably doesn't get paid JACK SHIT since the amount of people who give a damn about croquet is three tenths of SFA.

Reply #537123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much money players get is almost entirely based on TV/ media viewership. Billion dollar TV deals in the NBA = $20 million a year contracts. Women's basketball is painful to watch so no one wants to watch it, no huge TV deals, $105,000 max contract. How the NBL can afford to pay players astounds me

Reply #537137 | Report this post

Daltonfor3  
Years ago

As a collective team I would think the Boomers salaries would be higher than any other Australian team. Of course it depends on who makes the squad but my rough (very rough as I haven't done any proper checking except 2015 BRW article)estimate is the squad would make about $38m in salary.
Bogut $16,000,000
Baynes $4,000,000
Jingles $3,500,000
Delly $2,500,000
Exum $4,500,000
Mills $4,500,000
Bairstow $1,000,000
Jawai $1,500,000
NBL $250,000
NBL $250,000
NBL $250,000
NBL $250,000
$38,500,000

I would say the cricketers would be next and again depends on who is picked
Watson $4,350,000
Clarke $4,000,000
Warner $3,500,000
Johnson $3,000,000
Smith $3,000,000
Bailey $1,800,000
Finch $1,800,000
Others $1,500,000
Others $1,500,000
Others $1,500,000
Others $1,500,000
$27,450,000

I doubt the Socceroos could match it as they have Cahill as highest with $5.5m and only a few in top 50. If endorsements and the like were included things might change. Including reserves also might change some things but I would say Boomers would still be top.

Reply #537170 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:05 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754