summer league
Years ago

Aussie coaches attending NBA Summer League

Can someone shed some light on the purpose of Australian junior coaches who are club level junior coaches who attend the Summer League in Vegas.

Obviously NBL and SEABL coaches who are scouting import options attend as its a great place to view talent in one location.

I don't want to name names but there are a couple of coaches who are attending this year who made online fundraising accounts (and were well supported from my understanding) to go and "follow their dreams" etc. I hope i am missing something, but I am struggling to understand the benefits for such level coaches besides fan type benefits and hanging around top level coaches.

Good on these coaches for getting financial support but I don't know if its in their best interest to then post constant pictures on social media of alcoholic drinks and parties.

Can someone shed some light on what coaches at local club level can gain from the NBA summer league week.

Topic #37491 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"alcoholic drinks and parties"

That's pretty much all.

Reply #537552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville going all out with the chequebook next season?

Reply #537553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are actually a lot of conferences, lectures and sessions to learn from at Summer League. Lots are hosted by NBA head coaches and assistant coaches as well as respected coaches from around the world.

Reply #537577 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

If Bronwyn Bishop and other politicians can have a stab at it, why can't basketball coaches? I know which demographic I prefer.

Reply #537609 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

If Bronwyn Bishop and other politicians can have a stab at it, why can't basketball coaches? I know which demographic I prefer.

Reply #537610 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Yep, fundraising to go on an overseas trip & then posting photos of the good times on social media is not a good look. In a similar way I took some 18-25 year olds to Vietnam to learn more about & support a small business enterprise. We got a lot of donations & warned the participants to not dishonour the donors by showing 'touristy' photos. There was one in the group that couldn't help themselves... including a photo with an AK-47 :/

Reply #537616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw this guys fundraiser. C'mon now surely you didn't get sucked in by it. If you donated to it then all power to the guy. Who the hell is he anyway LOL?

Reply #537621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was there an option to donate only for the airfare out of Oz ?

Reply #537651 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I certainly believe there is something to be learnt from attending the summer camps and games, wether or not club level coaches will get a lot out of it is debatable. I think you will find it is more the hype of attending such an event that makes it seem appealing, though a junior level or youth league coach would get more out of attending SEABL or NBL training sessions but that just doesn't sound as cool as hitting Vegas now does it?

I do remember a certain flog a few years ago talking it up like he came back the Aussie version of Coach K, he is now currently a youth league assistant. Must be waiting for his big break?

I know I would be slightly pissed if someone I tipped money in to was posting party pics on social media when they requested funds for a development tour, but then again I would never have tipped money in to their cause in the first place.

Reply #537660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you can't show yourself having fun on a trip of a lifetime. Just expecting some pics of the hotel room, a packed conference room of nobodies, what you had for lunch.
Lighten up, it's like sending your kids to uni, sure you want them there to learn but is it a bad thing to enjoy and share the experience.
Sounds like a case of sour grapes and envy.

Reply #537683 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I don't know the guy or the situation but if it was someone who's sacrificed plenty of his own time to coach over 20+ years probably for no pay I don't have a particular problem with it.

Reply #537735 | Report this post

Chewie  
Years ago

Agree with Wilson sting.

Reply #537746 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:41 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754