help
Years ago

Basketball for Beginners

Any advise offered will be appreciated. I have a child who has just turned five and has just taken an interest in basketball. He has a much older brother who plays district basketball who has taught him the basics and he has developed exceptionally well. (Can dribble both hands with out looking and do layups with proper footwork) We live in the North/North Eastern suburbs and I am wondering where to know. His school is no help.

From the gurus out there what suggestions of how to proceed to ensure he is taught correctly.

Thanks

Topic #375 | Report this topic

Libertine  
Years ago

Norwood have jsut held their external trials, but you can contact their under 10-16 Boys and Girls co-ordinator Nicole Johnson by following the Norwood website:

http://www.norwoodbasketball.com.au/FS_extra.asp?id=4818&OrgID=272

Regarding playing games, my sister joined the U10 squad whenshe was 5 1/2yo but wasn't allowed to play until the year that she turned 7 (ie 3 seasons in U10s). I'm guessing that is still the rules. New kids are always welcome out to train.

Reply #2767 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Of course, getting involved in a mini ball compeition wouldnt hurt either, if you can find one close by.

Reply #2769 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

Most clubs would be happy for the child to train with u10s - until they are old enough to legally play.
I am sure Norwood or North would suit your needs in the NE suburbs.
Try to get a school team together - or try MARS - ? do they have an u9 comp after school ?

Try St Clair Saturday mornings - but don't do this in place of district.

Or you could perenially go to Aussie Hoops !!!

Reply #2781 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Unfortunately, the u10 program at St Clair Saturday mornings has died due to lack of involvement.

It had been hoped it would pick up again during winter, but football has claimed too many it would seem.

Reply #2782 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

The Salvation Army run a great comp on Monday nights for young kids. It's officially under-14, but kids as young as 5 are already playing in a semi-competitive environment, with varying ring heights depending on the strength of the teams. You should check it out - the kids love it. Not a great comp talent-wise, but the kids have a great time.

The contact details are on the notice board at the Homes Dome (immediately on your left as you enter the stadium).

Reply #2881 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

At Wayville, there is a fantastic program run by Forestville Eagles Basketball club where kids from all areas as young as 4 come and are coached for 45 mins each week on Fridays. As part of the Aussie Hoops program, kids are also chosen to then further develop their skills by participating in the Aussie Hoops mini-ball team at Wayville playing against other schools. This gives the kids who have exceeding skills to try it out on other kids and not miss out on playing a game each week, whilst developing before joining a district team.
If u give Forestville Eagles a call after the show has finished then im sure Paul Arnott can direct you in the right direction.
Next Aussie Hoops clinic starts in week 2 term 4.

Reply #4639 | Report this post

Am i Right?  
Years ago

sounds to me that you are pushing your kid to hard and i also dont belive that he can dribble well with both hands without looking and that crap i mean come on kids r still learning that in u14s

Reply #5172 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i believe that kids should have decent ball skil on both hands by under 14s. alltho it doesnt aways happen.

Reply #5248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some kids just have the ability to dribble with both hands at the age of 5 without parent's pushing them into anything. If the kid has a genuine interest in playing then the parents should be congratulated into looking for a place for them to play in an environment which will suit the child, what ever that might be. I have seen many young kids around the age of 5+ gain a lot of confidence and skills through the Aussie Hoops clinic, it would be worth checking out.
*am i right* it sounds like you are jealous that a 5 year old has the ability to dribble with both hands, perhaps a skill you have not yet mastered.

Reply #5255 | Report this post

help  
Years ago

You are right "Anonymous" I can't dribble with both hands...I found this to be a useless skill when I played football. It's his older brother that his teaching him. I'll give Aussie Hoops a go,: I have heard they conduct clinics at Hillcrest.

Thanks for all the advice.

Reply #5269 | Report this post

student  
Years ago

hillcrest is a great school and is very passionate about its basketball, i know cos i go there!

Reply #91923 | Report this post

derriane  
Years ago

i want to play because i now i'm a good player and i want to try it out.

Reply #135514 | Report this post

derriane  
Years ago

i want to play because i now i'm a good player and i want to try it out.

Reply #135515 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:31 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754