Anonymous
Years ago

Philly sign Scottie Wilbekin to a four year deal

Tank on, Philly

Topic #37500 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They also signed Jackson for 4 years. Seems strange but the sixxers decisions are generally strange.

Reply #537785 | Report this post

Stu  
Years ago

As an Adelaide 36ers member, I nearly shit my pants when I saw this headline

Reply #537786 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Another great advertisement for the NBL. Sad to lose him but I would hope the benefits outweigh the negatives. With Ennis and now Wilbekin this would say a lot to guys with NBA aspirations who weigh up between playing the D-League for small money or getting a good wage in a high standard league in a safe country.

Reply #537787 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

WTF? 4 yrs?

Why not give him a year & see how he goes?

Mind u he's a much better player than Delly!

Reply #537788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news!!

Those stressing about the 4 years, most of these deals are 1 year guarantee with team options/partial money guarantees over 3 more years. Reason for that is that if the player becomes awesome they can lock them in at cheap rates for a few more years (aka Draymond Green). Or if the player is not what they want it is cheap to waive OR trade if on partial guaranteed money.

Reply #537789 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Yes why 4 years? Same can be said of Adelaide signing Teys and Soby for three years. Crazy stuff.

Reply #537791 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's an awesome effort considering he didnt play for Kentucky.

Seriously though, good on him, came out here, started on fire, got worked out a bit and continued to improve his game and had a big impact late in the season. Cedric Jackson must just be shaking his head though, what's that man got to do!

Reply #537792 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

"Wilbekin committed to a deal with the 76ers on Friday night, opting out of his deal with Cairns Taipans of Australia's National Basketball League."

As others have noted, great advertisement for the league in that he was actually contracted to play for the upcoming season. Whilst the NBL season is not yet underway, it some ways it is a "call up" from the NBL, further legitimising the league as a D-League alternative.

There must be more NBA people generally keeping an eye on the NBL too? I doubt he gets signed to a partially guaranteed 4-year deal on the back of a couple of weeks of Summer League play alone. Obviously he is high profile from his college career, but someone must also have been tracking his play in Cairns and in Greece.

Reply #537794 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

Regarding my post above, just realised that the Sixers are the team with the rights to Jordan McRae too, so I guess it would make sense that they might've had a closer eye on the NBL over the past season...

Reply #537796 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Have the 76ers done anything this off season to look like they might climb the ladder at all?

I'm not saying Wilbekin is a bad signing as i reckon he can flat out play, but look at Spurs, Clips, Cavs etc. Philly look 10 yrs away from the playoffs!

Reply #537797 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

First year is a partial guarantee. So they can cut him before a defined date.
The sixers have been dishing out these contracts and had the nba look at the ethics behind it. I read somewhere they weren't happy but is fine.
Brett Brown is the coach, he would keep an eye on the nbl for sure. He probably set up Jordan mcrae with united.
I'm not sure if is a great look. I prefer to see imports stick around, not a nba 2nd rounder getting some game time to "try" and star. You end up with summer league ball hogs. Jordan Mccrae got one and Daniels at times playing for himself.
Just my opinion.

Reply #537799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers have a seven year plan in place. Guessing that's just to make the playoffs.

Reply #537802 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

@scopes44: Targeting "one and done" NBA hopefuls to fill NBL positions is hit or miss, but that's no different to import recruiting generally, is it?

I'm sure the Wildcats and Taipans would speak positively about the Ennis and Wilbekin experiences, but then you have the examples of maybe Daniels and McRae who didn't meet expectations.

Reply #537804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could still very well get cut after training camp. Philly currently have close to 20 players on the roster.

Reply #537807 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Ryan Boatright, TJ McConnell, Quinn Cook and Keifer Sykes would be good replacements. Sykes to a lesser extent though, something about him screams Jahii Carson.

Reply #537809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McConnell also has a partially guaranteed deal with the Sixers as well I believe.

Reply #537810 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

TJ didn't get a deal. It was 3 man race for 2 spots and PJ and Wilbekin won.

Reply #537811 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

When do the training camp cuts get announced? Do the Taipans have enough time to wait and see whether Wilbekin survives before deciding on a replacement or will that be too late?

Reply #537817 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Training camp isn't usually until the last week of September or early October so I think that would be too late.

Reply #537824 | Report this post

A. Bitofa Fan  
Years ago

Congrats to Scottie. Another nice line on the NBL's NBA resume too.

Reply #537825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, somewhat alright players in the NBL are good enough to play for the worst NBA team in the NBA over the last few years

Reply #537831 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

@A.Bitoni Fan. Absolutely right. Is hit and miss. I am a long time wildcats fan and its been 50/50 since Marvins recruiting of seconder rounder stow aways.

I loved how the crawfords, graces, fishers, McDonalds, maleys, copelands...imports that stayed and had great careers. I'm too old fashioned. Lol

I like long term marketable imports.
Anyway, good to see some players get the call up. Good luck to cairns for finding a replacement.

Reply #537833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When do the training camp cuts get announced? Do the Taipans have enough time to wait and see whether Wilbekin survives before deciding on a replacement or will that be too late?

Training camps usually start in early-mid September and goes right up until a few days before the regular season starts in late October.

Brock Motum for instance was cut by the Jazz a day or two before the start of the season last year the 36ers immediately pounced cut Montreal and signed Motum as his first game for us was about 8-9 games into the season.

So the Taipans could wait for Wilbekin and gamble he will be an early cut not a late cut like Motum and if he does get cut and chose to come back instead of going somewhere else it could mean playing as much as the first 1/3 of the season without him.

Reply #537842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I should add it would be a very big gamble by the Taipans as not only is there a chance he could make the 76ers roster (unlikely as that is) but also he would get bigger offers from teams in Europe than previously and as he's now had a taste of Europe (Greece) he might opt to go down that route rather than come back.

If was pure luck Motum fell in the 36ers laps last season because he wanted to play with his good mate Teys and was willing to play for Montreal's money, the NBL minimum wage. He signed a 2 year deal with the second year being backloaded to make up for that with the standard NBA & Euro outclauses and he chose not to exercise that option in his contract to come back.

Reply #537843 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@Paul: I don't see how Ced Jackson could be effective in the NBA. PGs who can't shoot from deep just hurt their team way too much at the NBA level in this day and age, unless they are truly elite at getting to the rim.

Reply #537892 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I agree Mick, they would just sag way off and clog the lane with elite shot blockers who would destroy him 9/10 times and then his free throw shooting is below par.

His handles and passing ability are most definitely NBA level.

Reply #537980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good for everyone else and the NBL, man, that is tough for cairns, that'll hurt

Reply #538018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

moves them from almost certain top 4 to who knows

Reply #538019 | Report this post

OrangeArmy  
Years ago

HAHAHAH they were a certain wooden spoon last year according to the experts. They are in a stronger psosition now with worthington upgrading young and 2 inexperienced guards heading off for new opportunities (sobey will be solid but not game breaker - his size at an nbl level concerns me. Maynard - another kevin white). Another hungry pg wanting wilbekins success and either Torrey or another athletic 3 with a point to prove coming in with the local line up: its looking good for the Snakes. Anything to the contrary is piss and vinegar from keyboard warriors....again.

Reply #538050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finding another point guard as good as Wilbekins is a pretty big IF...

Reply #538052 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Considering Wilbekin was a back up selection last season, I think Taipans fans can feel confident that Fearny will do ok... With such a stacked front line though, it will be interesting to see how they go...

Reply #538061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First two years guaranteed!

2) ScottieWilbekin (Sixers). The former Florida Gator, who spent last season playing in Australia, turned heads with his hustle, averaging 14.4 points per game and playing good defense. He did the same thing at the Orlando Summer League (playing for the Magic), and between the two Summer League's he shot 42 percent from three. He just signed a four-year contract with the Sixers, with the first two years guaranteed. The Sixers are crowded at the point guard spot, but he will get his chance.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/22/five-unexpected-impressive-players-from-las-vegas-summer-league/

Reply #538388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754