GWB
Years ago

Brock Motum gets a partially guaranteed contract

http://www.sportal.com.au/nba/report-motum-considering-jazz-offer/1e49i9q4pbfid16bbwvrm7fgnp

Topic #37503 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does partially guaranteed mean?

Reply #537806 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am not sure. I think thats what Delly started out with. I think it means a definite invite to camp later in the year.

Reply #537808 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/11/partially-guaranteed-contracts.html

There's a good run-down of what this usually means.

Basically for players that are already earning money elsewhere, its a way of making turning up to training camp financially viable for the player. It is no guarantee of a place on the team, but does set the value of their contract should they win a place.

Reply #537813 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

It means that only part of his contracted salary is guaranteed i.e. he will be paid a certain amount even if waived.

After January 10, however, I believe his contract is fully guaranteed for the remainder of the respective season.

It's certainly better for Brock than a non-guaranteed contract.

Reply #537814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they waive him and he doesn't make the roster he still gets some money basically

Reply #537815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So does that mean he is now an NBA player? At least until January the 10th?

Reply #537816 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Til January 10th, I guess so. What do Jazz have at his position? Is it likely he will stick?

Reply #537818 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

No, he's a NBA player until he gets cut, which will probably be before the season starts. The Jazz already have most of their roster spots committed, so this is basically a training-camp invite, same as last season.

Reply #537820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, he's an NBA player until he gets cut. He currently is a member of the Jazz. Though this happened last year as well

Reply #537821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where are all the people that said he wouldn't get there now?

Reply #537832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He hasn't made the final roster yet...
You do remember this happened last season as well and he was waived

Reply #537834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the guarantee is meaningless?

Reply #537835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 'guarantee' is financial as in he will be paid something if cut between now and Jan 10 but no it's no guarantee of a roster spot.

Reply #537837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah he's guaranteed to get some cash. Not a roster spot

Reply #537840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just like Childress.

Reply #537847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unless there is some crazy injury to some Utah big he will be cut before season starts. jazz locked in tibor pleiss from Barcelona a week or so back, they also will resign booker. so they have all the bigs they need. gobert/ pleiss, favors, booker, cooley, lyles, .... motum gets some cash and training camp invite, good for him, he does some nice things, not nba talent though for mine. What does he do at an elite level? im not hating, just asking?

pros - finds crafty ways to score, high bball iq, hard worker, close to above average shooter for size/position

cons - undersized, poor athlete, below average defender, struggle to score in key against nba bigs

Reply #537849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not saying Motum will make the Jazz roster as it seems unlikely but he is an elite 3 point shooter for a big man, he shot 47% on 3pts last season for the 36ers.

PF/C that can shoot are all the rage in the NBA these days so don't be surprised if/when the Jazz cut him another NBA team grabs him a bit like Ingles cut by Clippers immediately grabbed by Jazz last year.

Reply #537851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress got amnestied, basically a team said well give you all this money not to play for us anymore. Last year I think Phoenix still paid him 5.5 million. Not really the same

Reply #537861 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754