Isaac
Years ago

Lightning signs import Mikaela Ruef

THE addition of US "big" Mikaela Ruef means Adelaide Lightning have now secured 40 per cent of the starting line-up of last season's WNBL third placegetter.

Ruef at centre and Leilani Mitchell at point guard largely were responsible for much of Sydney’s success in reaching the preliminary final but now will head up the Lightning’s “rebuild” under rookie but well-established head coach Tracy York.
Full article at botinagy.com

I can imagine some people might grind teeth at the idea of a team signing imports first over local talent, but after Adelaide's shaky, early off-season, I think a promising foundation is more likely to help attract further talent.

Topic #37518 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

Yeah, I think it is important to secure the star talent to build around, and that will help build hopefully a positive winning culture and also help gain the top local talent that may look elsewhere

Reply #538023 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

Good points guys, get a strong core then build around it is always the way to go.

Reply #538027 | Report this post

Years ago

Hopefully Langford / scheer at the 4

Reply #538030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell isn't an import.

Reply #538033 | Report this post

new order  
Years ago

think they mean imports like out of towners

Reply #538038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hearing Bowen from Frankston signing as well. Having a MVP season in SEABL.

Reply #538083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see that the Lightning are following their "pathway for young South Australians" mantra well...

Reply #538088 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

It is all about Tracey and making sure she looks good

Reply #538101 | Report this post

W. Cosby  
Years ago

Very good transaction. A tried and true performer and worth every dollar. Will get you a score when you need one. I'm a big fan of Rueffy.

Reply #538149 | Report this post

new order  
Years ago

anon - there is still at least another 7 spots for local players

Reply #538151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And what is the point of having a team for the SA players who don't want to play here?

When the only one's who do aren't good enough for WNBL!

Reply #538162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still waiting for botis daughters to be announced :-)

Reply #538164 | Report this post

new order  
Years ago

it's their choice to play where they want - but at least there is something here.

Reply #538165 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

yeah... not sure why there is an issue with this. if we sign scrubs we will have a scrub team and then we will have no team...

Reply #538189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of you guys - there I no pleasing. Be happy you are signing some quality players and more importantly quality people. They will help grow your program.

Reply #538271 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754