Isaac
Years ago

Wildcats to sign import Casey Prather?

From the NY Times:

Casey Prather, a forward, had agreed to a deal with a club from Australia's National Basketball League, which meant that he would be supporting his D-League teammates from the bench.
Spotted by Tomasz Gregorczyk.
@cprather24 has signed with #NBL club. You know who got his signature?
Boti replied:
I'm hearing Wildcats.

@cprather24 on Twitter:
Blessed beyond measures!! Can't wait to start my new journey!! God knew that my family and I both needed this and he delivered.. So thankful

D-League profile

Topic #37521 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he from Guam?

Reply #538078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings about to announce they've signed a 2015 second round draft pick.

Reply #538081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings were chasing an ex NBA PG.

Reply #538084 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

which second round pick? and they're not signing an import point guard because they've already got that spot covered, they'd be going for an import combo guard whos main position is the two

Reply #538085 | Report this post

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

I would be incredibly surprised to see the Wildcats sign this guy as an import.

It would go against the grain of what they have done in the last 2 years with this import spot.

I think that Aaron White drafted by Washington out of Iowa is a much better guess as to who the Wildcats would be chasing.

He fits the profile of their recruits from years gone by, 6'8 - 6'9 sf/pf who needs were stated as primarily to put on weight and work on his shot.

There is further connections that can be found on twitter between the wildcats admin and coaching staff to Aaron White, Washington Wizards and his Management agency 'Octagon Basketball' if anyone wants to dig.

Im prepared to get shot down but my guess Casey has signed elsewhere

Reply #538096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every smart team is connected to everyone on social media these days, doesn't mean anything more than just that.

I can see this guy being a Cats type of guy, has to be better than last years failure... take off the rose coloured glasses it was a inconsistent struggle! Looks like he can shoot the 3.

Reply #538098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Looks like he can shoot the 3"
based on what? he is a brad robbins-like 32.6% in those stats linked above

Reply #538102 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Agree that he does not look like a fit for the Cats. their biggest weakness last year was outside shooting from the wings.

This guy only puts up 1 or 2 a game and shoots them at a very low percentage.

More know as a quality defender, good offensive rebounder and team man.

If he has signed he would be a better fit in a team that has plenty of scoring punch.

Hawks and Taipans look to me like they could use his skill set.

Reply #538105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A great signing for the league. He has a build and athleticism much more suited to the small forward spot than Deandre Daniels last season.

Reply #538106 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Very interested in the Anon's Kings post... any clarification on who it could be?

Looking at the draftboard and thinking that they really need a good 3pt shooter so the SGs are...

#38 - Darrun Hilliard (6'6) DET
#40 - Josh Richardson (6'6) MIA ^*
#41 - Pat Connaughton (6'5) POR #^
#42 - Olivier Hanlan (6'4) UTA #^*
#43 - Joseph Young (6'2) IND #^
#45 - Marcus Thornton (6'3) BOS #^*
#46 - Norman Powell (6'4) TOR ^
#50 - Marcus Eriksson (6'7) ATL
#51 - Tyler Harvey (6'4) WAS ^#
#53 - Sir'Dominic Pointer (6'4) CLE
#54 - Daniel Diez (6'2) POR #^

^ - Needs to build on size/strength and/or slow for position
# - Notably good 3pt shooter/scorer
* - Noted as being able to play both guard positions

No idea who played Summer League for whichever team, but some nice options there...

Reply #538107 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I think he could be headed to Cairns.

He played with Wilbiken at Florida. Maybe there is a connection there - as Scottie signs NBA contract offers a replacement that he can vouch for?

I agree with Roger that he doesn't fit the mold for the the cats import - unless he's from Guam and is another Earnest Ross type guy.

Reply #538108 | Report this post

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

Half the 2nd Round picks you listed are signed or internationals if that helps to narrow it down for you

Signed #38 - Darrun Hilliard (6'6) DET
#40 - Josh Richardson (6'6) MIA ^*
Signed #41 - Pat Connaughton (6'5) POR #^
#42 - Olivier Hanlan (6'4) UTA #^*
Signed #43 - Joseph Young (6'2) IND #^
#45 - Marcus Thornton (6'3) BOS #^*
Signed #46 - Norman Powell (6'4) TOR ^
International #50 - Marcus Eriksson (6'7) ATL
#51 - Tyler Harvey (6'4) WAS ^#
#53 - Sir'Dominic Pointer (6'4) CLE
International #54 - Daniel Diez (6'2) POR #^

Reply #538125 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I reckon Tyler Harvey is a huge chance to come to the NBL, Orlando just signed another guard!

Reply #538132 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Tyler Harvey would tear up on the offensive end. Combo guard for the Sixers? Also I heard something about the Sixers and Kyle Fogg who played in Belgium last season.

Reply #538140 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

For what it's worth Wildcats' "Scouts" are still in the US - last game they attended was this morning.

So I doubt it will be this guy "Casey Prather"

Reply #538153 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Boti has said everyone is going everywhere. I wont believe it til its signed on the dotted line.

Reply #538166 | Report this post

RMQ, is Casey Prather a pseudonym?

Reply #538167 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

Marvin & entourage have signed their man, will be announced soon.

Reply #538176 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Ch10 Perth have confirmed/reported that Casey Prather is the man.

Reply #538181 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Knight/Jervis
Wagstaff/Redhage
Prather/Hire
Beal/???
Martin/Greenwood

Deep and solid defensively but unless Redhage can roll the clock back a few years or Wagstaff shows that he hasn't plateaued the Cats scoring struggles will continue.

Prather's stats show a distinct dislike for shots from beyond the arc and from that one would assume that his scouting report would see him left open a lot on the perimeter. Despite this he still shoots a very low percentage. Looks similar to last year for the Cats when 2 of the 3 outside guys were backed away from.

Their run of finals appearances may be in jeopardy if the a few out of the Kings, 6ers, United, Hawks and Taipans add half decent imports.

Reply #538185 | Report this post

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

Have to agree,

Combine the above concerns with the durability of Matt Knight and the age of Redhage I think there is definitely a few red flag for the Cats.

Jermaine Beal is a better Robin than Batman but it seems he will be cast in the lead role once more this season

Reply #538190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Few know it alls got it wrong, sigh nothing new about that. Think he will be ok for Cats, Wont be as much pressure as he is following Daniels, who was no Ennis.

Reply #538191 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Perth have plenty of guys that can shoot the 3. The main problem last year was getting the ball inside. This guy looks like he can attack and finish above the rim. Remember that Ennis only shot 35%.

Reply #538192 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

*35% from 3pt I meant

Reply #538193 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Train. They might have plenty of guys who can shoot the 3 but when 2 out of your starting perimeter players can't then that might go a long way to explaining why "their main problem is getting the ball inside"

Reply #538195 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

They did it with Ennis and he wasn't the greatest 3 point threat which is my point. Cats hurt last year because Daniels couldn't penetrate or finish inside. He would just run around the perimeter. If Prather can get inside and draw attention it may go along way to fixing their offence.

Reply #538196 | Report this post

Exactly right Train. The Cats woes last year weren't that they had guys who couldn't or forgot how to shoot. It's that their offense was so stagnant because the guy meant to be taking the ball to the hole simply couldn't. It gifted the D easy stops, and it made quality players look worse than what they are.

Reply #538198 | Report this post

http://youtu.be/h502I5TkP6s

Not going to get excited that his entire game will be a highlight reel but these plays are things which the Cats missed last season, and that Daniels did not have in his repertoire from his time at college.

Reply #538201 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He had a super last year of college and performed well in the NCAA Tournament, which is a good sign. Hell, he even averaged 17p at over 70%, 4r and 3s in three wins over Kentucky, and we all know how good they are, so he could average 50 in the NBL.

If he plays defence, looks like a good signing to me.

Reply #538211 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti thinks the Kings are trying to get Marcus Thornton.

Reply #538217 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think If the Wildcats can get a James Harvey type or even the man himself then that will help the outside shooting.

Hugh Greenwood is an unknown this upcoming season, he could be rookie of the year or could struggle to even get on court

Greg Hire was injured for most of the year so hopefully he has healed up or whomever our import small forward is will get extended court time and he may not be able to handle that.

Beal struggled at times last year to get to the hole and the foul line so if he has anything less than an aggressive mindset then I'm positive that Lisch will prove that he should have always been our import!

Interesting season ahead but every chance that this wildcats outfit will be remembered for all the wrong reasons and I wouldn't be surprised if Trevor or an import leaves before 2016

Reply #538224 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

He does love a dunk!

Reply #538231 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

After sleeping on this signing, I've awoken with new optimism.

I think this could be a great signing for the Wildcats.

Prather is an athletic scorer - who's strength (penetration and on-ball creation) was the Cats weakness last season.

He's billed as a solid defender and compared to Tony Allen. With Prather and Martin locking down the D the wildcats could see the return of their missing transition game.

Look for the wildcats to make similar statements if this signing is true.

"NBA scouts want him to work on his (long range) shooting, so we'll help him with that."

"Prather as a person is a great fit for the team. He still aspires to make the NBA and we can help him achieve that."

"Prather will bring to our team what was lacking last year, that is someone who can take the ball into the lane and finish."

"He is a tenacious defender and together with Damian Martin will reek havoc on opposition backcourts."

"We have a track record of developing NBA ready talent - this is an opportunity for Prather as well as the club to show the type of talent we can produce."

Reply #538257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wreak*

Reply #538259 | Report this post

*rekt

Reply #538261 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

My bad.

Reply #538265 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

I like the signing he should be able to get to the hole as others have said. Hopefully there will be more transition points available this season as a result the only problem I see is that teams will sag off him and will dare him to shoot the 3 and if he can't it will be both him and Martin that won't be able to make it.

Reply #538294 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With Knight, Wagstaff and Redhage all shooters, and Jervis not bad either, there should be enough space for him if the offence has decent spacing.

Reply #538295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only question with Prather is his jumper imo

Reply #538297 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-wildcats-close-to-snaring-import-casey-prather-for-2014-15-nbl-season/story-fnhq5y0s-1227452471830

Reply #538303 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

If he's as good at getting to the hoop as he's been billed he should benefit from some softer close outs as teams struggle to contain his penetration

Reply #538314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The wildcats have just sent an email out to members announcing the signing. So it is official now

Reply #538773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing overly concerning with his shooting form and having played a year in the D League as opposed to coming straight from the short NCAAB line should help.

With the way he can get to the hoop and finish if he hit the 3 as well he will be elite in the NBL.

Reply #538783 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:06 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754