Anonymous
Years ago

Kestelman 60-40 confident of securing TV deal

60-40 on securing a Television broadcast deal for the coming season, according to Boti.

Wasn't that TV coverage Larry's Number 1 priority?

Gee, I'm not too confident considering the season starts in October.

Just when I thought Larry Kestleman was making major progress, a season without a Television deal would be a devastating failure, in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Topic #37531 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone possibly update the topic or edit the OP.

Reply #538335 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I hope he isnt trying to get too much out of the deal, with the league in the state its in. Get a short term deal done ASAP and then in the next couple years look for something more long term when the league is in better shape.

Reply #538344 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Source Bra - did u get your info from a tweet or article?

Reply #538345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti did say last week expect the NBL to be on Fox this season.

Reply #538348 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Where according to Boti?

Reply #538352 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Here we go:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-facelift-to-include-huge-overhaul-of-websites-and-live-streaming-says-executive-director-larry-kestelman/story-fnii09gt-1227452792510

Reply #538354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Websites and live streaming are great for basketball (NBL) fans.

Without television coverage to be exposed to the masses, the NBL will continue to struggle or die

Reply #538355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being desperate isn't a good way to get leverage. With LK's money they can make sure they don't do a deal with the devil (Packer) and they can wait for right opportunity while building in the digital space.

With Netflix, live sport is the last thing I watch on TV (minus the brilliant karl stefanovic and the today show each morning).

Reply #538395 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

While I understand the thoughts on NBL fans and existing die-hards who love to read and watch anything basketball related online or on supporting networks like the up and comming 'Netfilix', it is only possible to expand our sports popularity among the broader community by providing decent air time-slots on FTA TV...

Reply #538412 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

I read this article from Boti and thought I have already read this article. Almost the same thing published in Sydney Morning Herald a week ago.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/larry-kestelman-looks-to-expanded-digital-services-for-newlook-nbl-20150717-gif0gq.html

Reply #538414 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

ACtually with the huge amount of people taking up Netflix in Australia, would be crazy to ignore this as a service to people. Its uptake has been far quicker than Foxtel ever way

(and the icing on the cake here is that IInet and one other provider whose name currently escape me do not include Netflix towards their cap)

Reply #538415 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I hope he's underplaying his chances as I think people would've been hoping for a higher number. That said, I think he has as good a chance as anyone.

It has its risks, but one advantage of the moneyed figurehead coming from an existing club is that he'd have reasonable knowledge and expectations of what basketball could achieve. If the $6m man had been someone like Spenceley coming in cold, I think that'd be a huge risk.

Really hoping Kestelman can pull it all off.

Reply #538421 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Has he tried the ABC. Even the WNBL and Aboriginal comp seem to get more coverage.

Reply #538428 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

When someone comes in and says "this is my priority" you sort of get your hopes up that that person can achieve that goal they've set...

I've been pretty glass half full with LK coming on board and pretty hopeful that he knows what he's doing, but if he doesn't get at least SOMETHING in place, I'm leaning towards agreeing with the OP in that it would be the first big failure... I think more so because he's been involved in the NBL and would have been aware of the struggle to get it on the tv before now...

If LK takes over and we can't even get what we had with Ch 10 previously, the knives will be out, even if the live streaming option is of a higher standard, as above posts have been right, there's no growing the league if it's not on some form of channels... FTA needs a much better partner than Ch 10, but Foxtel also limits who can view it (eg. I'd have to get Foxtel installed in our new place as with netflix & existing Optus fetch, it was redundant), so I certainly hope he hasn't underestimated the effort involved...

Reply #538429 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Free to Air isn't everything. It certainly did little for the league in the last few seasons. It needs to be accessible, and on some form of TV platform, but it doesn't have to be free to air necessarily. A league grew for a long time without it.

We might have to be happy with it on Foxtel for a few seasons until it builds momentum. LK may have a vision, but it might take a bit of convincing for FTA channels to buy in. Basketball hasn't been a ratings winner since the 90s.

Reply #538431 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

people do realise that netflix would have no impact right. it isn't actually a tv station. it is no different to the NBL having a stand alone website to stream it's games from, only difference being they don't get all the money from subscriptions and you would need to search for it on netflix, where people go to watch movies, tv shows and docos.

Reply #538433 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Free to Air does provide a lot for a league if it is promoted properly. Channel 10 did not promote the league at all and provided delayed coverage which is not going to attract audiences

Reply #538439 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

For FTA TV we need a sponsor that will guarantee the network "$x" of advertising revenue or do what netball do and pay to have the games televised, at least for next year.

The level of basketball with the imports coming through is going to be good so hopefully with the right advertising the viewer base for the future will grow.

Reply #538448 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Channel 10 had no interest in showing the NBL the moment they got rid of ONEHD as a sports channel, we knew this. They've been waiting for about 3 years to get rid of the NBL.

Surely between GEMHD/GO and 7mate/SevenTwo or even SBS/SBS2/SBSHD there's FTA potential

Reply #538461 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Maybe even get Eddie McGuire's media company to do it, I think his company does SANFL and the Netball ANZ Championship

Reply #538462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd love for it to be back on Foxtel - their coverage was so much better than One/Ten.

Reply #538465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could LK offer to create an additional channel for 7/9/10 like Victoria horse racing has done for channel 78 that will be available in about 5 weeks?

Have the NBL, perhaps WNBL, euro and asian leagues. I assume he couldn't get the rights to nba, wnba, ncaab. Although they could have highlight shows, podcast type shows with just a camera running (Like the Grantland hour or the starters).

Reply #538472 | Report this post

"I'd love for it to be back on Foxtel - their coverage was so much better than One/Ten."

Thats like saying that terminal cancer is much better than AIDS.

Reply #538473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People should never forget what Fox Sports did to the NBL in it's last year on that network. Moved Casey over to the AFL and gave us Brian Taylor & Dwayne Russell as hosts.

Reply #538477 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not a fan of B.T.

Sorry, but if he has anything to do with NBL commentary I am switching off, completely!

Reply #538513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's contracted to Channel 7 now isn't he?

Reply #538518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wowee! :O

Reply #538539 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Has Kestelman actually made the 60:40 comment?

Reply #538558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti says that's what he said (It's in the above article)

Reply #538569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please God not Brian Taylor. One of the most atrocious commentators on TV. Is a dreadful AFL commentator and was absolutely horrendous the last time he did NBL.

Reply #538598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit harsh on BT, he loves the game.

Reply #538602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine this, commentary trio doing the NBL at peak time on a Saturday night.

Heal, 'It's the business end of the season and the Kings have to show up tonight. How do you see them going against this experienced Wildcats outfit in the King Dome?'

Gaze, 'Well, Heals they have to maintain their interior zone pressure and double on that post play every chance they get. Having said that, if their imports fire, it's going to be a tough ask for the Sydney boys.'

Heal, 'Perth has the runs on the board again this season, it would be a bonus win over here in the East and sets them up for another crack at the title.'

Gaze, 'I think we can cross to B.T. now, Over to you down on court big fella!'

Taylor, 'Geeze, gosh wowee guys, look at the flashy treads on these guys warming up down here. Bright yellow and purple, wow!

Heal, 'Have you got an interview with the coach of the Kings there?'

Taylor, 'Wow, where are the sea gulls, did they finally work out how to get rid of them. Golly, this is nothing like the MCG, imagine falling on this hard stuff right here, man 'oh, man wowee.'

Gaze, 'Do you have someone with you down on court, Brian?'

Taylor, 'Yes, guys I have the coach of the 6'ers here with me, so how do you like the lights coach, when did they discover power down here in Adelaide?''

Coach walks away and network goes to a commercial for the NBL's major sponsor.

Reply #538605 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I love the game too, but that doesn't mean that I should be commentating... At least I wouldn't be talking footy for half the broadcast though...

Reply #538606 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754