Jefferey
Years ago

NBL fixture press release

MEDIA RELEASE: NBL FIXTURES BUILT FOR FANS AND BROADCAST

The National Basketball League (NBL) today announced that its 2015/16 schedule will feature regular season games five days a week, from Wednesday to Sunday every week across its 19 round season. The revised schedule reflects a deliberate strategy to slot perfectly into the AFL and NRL off seasons, while serving up prime time sport to fans throughout the summer.

Executive Director of the NBL Larry Kestelman said the new schedule included 7.30pm games on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings, as well as games on Sunday afternoons and evenings, expanding on what was previously a traditional Friday night to Sunday offering.

"Myself, the board and the newly-appointed General Manager of the NBL Jeremy Loeliger are committed to presenting the public, our corporate partners, and any potential broadcasters with the best product we can at the most appropriate time of year, and the most appropriate times of the week. Making the NBL available for consumption five days a week is an attractive proposition for all of them," he said.

“We are positioning the NBL to be the number one entertainment sport in Australia and New Zealand.

“We have moved to a 19 week regular season so that we're not competing head to head with the traditional winter sport offering. Trying to accommodate an entire regular season of content into that period, using a traditional weekend schedule, would have been selling the sport short.”

NBL General Manager Jeremy Loeliger said the NBL was confident going up against the Big Bash for mid-week audiences.

“Australia hasn’t seen two major league sports compete for mid-week numbers for some time, but we are really confident that the NBL will deliver great results over the summer period. Australians love their sport and we think our schedule gives them a new option of consuming a frontline, elite sporting competition mid-week,” he said.

This week, the NBL announced that it had embarked on a digital asset campaign and will create both a local and global content hub for basketball, where fans will be able to access the latest basketball content from Australia and New Zealand and around the world.

The new digital platform hub will accompany a complete overhaul being undertaken by Publicis Mojo and Fox Sports Pulse of the NBL’s website and digital customer interface, along with those of all eight of its clubs. Together, they will provide fans and customers of the NBL with an experience the likes of which they have not seen before in a basketball context, with the NBL looking to match, if not exceed, other major sport’s online and fan engagement presence in Australia.

Mr Loeliger said the new digital engagement experience would give fans an opportunity to be more engaged than ever, particularly over the summer school holiday period when mid-week games are on offer.

“The NBL is a great mid-week entertainment prospect. It’s not a huge time commitment, and it’s an incredible spectator experience no matter your age or previous exposure to the sport. We know our sport is particularly loved by a demographic that has become accustomed to consuming entertainment across multiple platforms - sometimes simultaneously. Accordingly, we need to provide an online experience that fans, in particular younger fans who weren’t around during the height of basketball’s success in the 1990s, can engage with on a more meaningful and rewarding level.”

The NBL will release the full 2015/16 schedule next week.

Topic #37543 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok

Reply #538482 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

A positive and confident media campaign appears to have begun. It will be crucial to get the right FTA Network and/or Foxtel on board.

It will be just as crucial to provide these fans with regular, high quality highlights and exciting plays to promote the NBL.

I don't mean nice lay-ups and scores, I mean great angles, crash and bash, huge dunks and something we can all talk about, but more importantly something the commentators at games can talk about in passionate terms, not robotic (ho, hum) and boring...

Reply #538484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This gave me a good feeling about whats to come next

Reply #538485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Btw imagine an "On the couch" style basketball show over the summer, 70% Nbl and 30% nba discussions.

Reply #538486 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

he new digital platform hub will accompany a complete overhaul being undertaken by Publicis Mojo and Fox Sports Pulse of the NBL's website and digital customer interface

Damn, I was hoping neither FoxSports Pulse, nor Sportal would do the new website :

Also, Hit107 (old SAFM) and Fox Sports News retweeted the NBL's fixture announcement.

Reply #538487 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

They are starting to see the merit in mixing the NBA with the NBL from an internet content stand point, which is really good.

If and when a broadcast deal gets over the line, and we can see more of what this rebranding means, I think we will be pleasantly surprised

Reply #538489 | Report this post

My thoughts exactly, KET. SportingPulse or whatever they are called now should not be involved whatsoever.

Reply #538490 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Btw imagine an "On the couch" style basketball show over the summer, 70% Nbl and 30% nba discussions.

Similar to The Grantland Hour?

Reply #538492 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

For me, it has to happen, the press release is leading people into an expectation that the NBL is going to provide something not too long and not boring.

So, it would be very, very important to get the pre-game interviews and pre-game build up right, then end that game with an immediate review and highlights package during post game interviews etc...

But, (and a very big BUTT) pardon the pun, there needs to be a weekly show of some kind to tie it all together!

The NBL isn't easy for everyone to follow, so we need to get it right and present the whole league properly and with some points of interest, even links to the NBA, why not add a little BNA news into a show about the NBL?

Wouldn't hurt, however it must be a quality show, IMHO...

Reply #538496 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

...NBA news, sorry...

Reply #538497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze already has a contract with Fox Footy, I wonder if that could be expanded through to Fox Sports and he could be involved with a weekly basketball show there?

Reply #538498 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Even if the NBL ends up with just 1 or 2 games on Fox, I would love to see a highlights show that talks about all the issues on Fox on a Tuesday night.
It would be both a review and a preview show.

An hour long package show with stories from all leagues - for example a NBA Aussie watch segment - would be awesome.

Reply #538508 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I have seen my share of NBL "on the couch" shows and most of have them have been horrendously terrible.

The best one I remember was way back in the early 00's, and I think it use to play on a Sunday morning on Channel Ten. Had some token cool black guy presenter, and it found a way to make NBL players and their lives seem interesting. I am not sure if anyone else remembers this one, but it was by 100 miles the best show the NBL has run in my memory. It ended by 2002 or 2003 I believe.

I think for such a show to work the presenter has to be 'cool', the content needs to be fresh, the conversation needs to be light and lively, and they need to have an eye for the eye catching. Having Andrew Gaze and Grantley Bernard waffle on amongst eachother isn't going to inspire anyone to watch a full game.

We have had some great personalities come into this league, I don't see why we must rely so heavily on the Steve Carfino's and Andrew Gazes. Gaze will always have a place as a spokesperson of the sport, but lets keep him away from fun half hour package shows.

A couch show will need to temper analyticals with entertainment.

Reply #538515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My negative is that children attending Wed/Thurs night games isn't the best idea.

Reply #538516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This really does line up with Fox Sports

Reply #538517 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

As someone who doesnt have fox but loves the 36ers/NBL i hope they have any games not on FTA TV available to watch live/on demand online on a nbl.tv type website.

Does anyone know if thats likely to occur??

Reply #538521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems Fox Sports with a beefed up nbl.tv looks like it might be on the cards.

Reply #538524 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Sounds good to me.

Im happy with mid week basketball too. It works in the NBA and other sports like Cricket so dont see why it cant work.

Reply #538525 | Report this post

Why don't they just get the game night presentation spot on first instead of worrying about these extras?

Reply #538526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like the idea of the longer rounds (days-wise) like it used to be. Could potentially clash with sport for me but thats fine, especially considering a nice chunk of the season is over the Summer break. Trying not to get my hopes up on the whole TV deal. Now if they could just bring back 48 minute games and find away to make the games attractive again.

Reply #538540 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Will there only be one game per day?

Reply #538541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The draw better be fair. If one team gets more Friday's and another is stuck with Sunday's some clubs will suffer financially.

Reply #538543 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I can only hope from a Sydney standpoint they play the SEC games mid-week and the homebush ones on the weekend.

Reply #538547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine the Hawks Vs the Crocs on the wed or Thursday night with 200 people attending. Terrible idea.
Perhaps Perth Vs the Crocs on the wed night too. Lets hope the mid week games are distributed equally across all teams. Terrible idea.

Reply #538556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, my main concern is poor crowds crowds on weeknights but maybe this is offset by greater tv exposure.

The afl tried more Thursday night games this year and i understand crowds were comparable to weekend numbers . Not sure if this extends to Wednesdays

Reply #538565 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Get the games, etc right before worrying about a panel show or NBA content. People will head to League Pass or ESPN if they want good NBA content.

Reply #538566 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I think comparing Basketball to other sports is difficult. It is payed with less players so more teams for the same numbers to play still over a comparative time. So that said, it is played on many nights of the week unlike footy, cricket and so on. The likelihood of sub groups of players and families being able to attend weeknight matches is debatable. Will the product be exciting enough to entice the non basketball crowd. Maybe, but I'm not sold. Didn't renew my membership this season as it will clash with my kids school sports, trainings and late school nights too often. Thats 6 members gone from my family with 4 kids... How many more ???

Reply #538572 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It was around 2007/8 where we had:
》A couple of games on Fox Sports
》Midweek games including Wednesday
》No major sponsor for the league
》Teams were going into VA
》Crappy NBL website
...but we still had Brisbane and second Victorian team.

Holy crap! As of this offseason we'd begrudgingly accept the TV deal knowing we probs can't do better, accept the Weds again, we have no major sponsor, Hawks and Crocs were just in VA, the website still sucks and we don't even have Brissy or a second Vic team.

So much for the 'reformed NBL' 5 years ago. It seems that literally the entirety of the NBLs future is based on a good tv deal. There was one very good year when ONEHD started with the NBL including sponsorships.....

It's been an extraordinary wasteful last half a decade and I suspect that the frank reality is that a lack of money/capital makes it near impossible for the NBL to dig itself out and compete in a pretty competitive sports/entertainment market. In the absence of rich people willing to invest capital in an investment which shows zero signs of profitability or growth or general return on investment, Larry Kestelman is our only genuine opportunity, we need the capital injection badly and we need the almost radical business reform.

Reply #538578 | Report this post

Isaac, I agree.... ;-)

Reply #538594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bums on seats is going to reduce even further than last year. Get the product right, get some good feedback and groundswell, then go into insanity like mid week games.

Reply #538595 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

would be a good idea to make midweek games half price entry to begin with.

Reply #538604 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Gotta hope a benefit of this is that the salary cap is now better value -ie a player can earn $150k over 20 weeks instead of over 25 weeks, which is effectivley a payrise.

This "payrise" should put teams in the market for even better players. Players that want to play more and train less.

For teams it means depth is important. A 2 week injury becomes a 5 - 6 game injury instead of a 2 - 3 game injury. Also less recovery time between games will challenge players fitness and energy levels with quick turn arounds.

Sounds exciting - but disappointed it will all be over in just 20 weeks ( plus play-offs)

Reply #538611 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Teams should do as much as they can with regard to season tickets for specific nights to cover losing those who can't make mid-week games. And as suggested, consider a reduced price for mid-week games.

Reply #538613 | Report this post

"Gotta hope a benefit of this is that the salary cap is now better value -ie a player can earn $150k over 20 weeks instead of over 25 weeks, which is effectivley a payrise."

I see your point but those extra five week should be then put to good use with community and school visits.

Reply #538617 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon - I'm not sure bums on seats is the primary objective. None of the AFL, A-League, netball, cricket and rugby leagues rely on bums on seats. To cover just the players' salaries, AFL would have to generate around $900,000 clear profit per game. Then there's all the other staff, infrastructure, travel, marketing, etc etc. You can do the same sums for the NBA and the disparity is even clearer.

The profitable professional leagues all rely on advertising income (sponsorship) and media rights. Rugby historically has had gambling income from their clubs, but I'm pretty sure that's not as big a component of their income as it used to be.

I have no idea how this new NBL model is going to go, attendance wise. It won't get me to games for reasons another poster cited above BUT it sounds like it will give me more opportunities in a week to be watching NBL on some medium - at least streaming media and maybe also FTA or pay-TV if a deal is put together. I can record the game(s) and watch them after I get home from kids' sport. So that probably will lead to more eyeballs per game and a more attractive proposition for potential sponsors.

Maybe this model will also be more attractive to a media buyer looking for high volumes of live (sport) content? That may make a TV or high profile (Netflix, Stan etc.) streaming deal more likely?

The reduction in direct competition with footy and rugby appears to make NBL more attractive to sponsors looking for some sport related exposure.

Reply #538619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re: the shortened season comments - there is only going to be one less round than last season. Last season = 20 rounds, this coming season = 19 rounds.

Reply #538625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regarding the above discussion of an "on the couch" type show. This is a must do for the league, including highlights and people who know how to give proper analysis of the league. But the platform for this show can't be based around a TV slot on a saturday/sunday morning for 20 mins. It must be a digital platform that can be accessed via NBL website/youtube. Then broadcast at some time on free to air if they want.

Reply #538627 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

We can no longer talk about the past as those days are vastly different.

We now have social and electronic media on tap
We now have families who are doing everything known to man and over scheduled as it is.
We have to compete with Big Bash and other modified sports with money on tap and already lucrative markets and sponsorship to tap in to that we need to compete with.

We need fast transition basketball and I believe we need a 3 second defensive ruling to open up the key to some specky drives and more dunks to bring in the crowds. We need better media presentation in the the Arenas/Stadiums such as new score boards with capacity to show footage. Better announcers and systems (not radio announcers please as they just talk to bloody fast and too much echo you can't hear them). Better entertainment and integration with local comps to bring in casual members

Reply #538628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so paid up season tickets are what now? we are paying more per game, some pre paying.

Reply #538639 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Regarding the above discussion of an "on the couch" type show.

Michelle Trewatha would be a good fit on that panel.

Reply #538651 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The idea of mid week games and some form of pre or post game show plus a weekly show can work. Yes, we need to get games right first, their entertainment factors is crucially important, but I think crowds will be fine during the week.

I think we all need to consider the season and the fact that day light savings in most States will give everyone reason for staying out a little longer, with or without kids.

Air time is crucial to maintain and foster growth in attracting new fans and the game itself is attractive to people going out at night who then may want to party on elsewhere afterwards.

If done correctly, I can see some light at the end of the NBL tunnel, but for me we do need to get this whole TV/Foxtel/Live/Online thing done properly...

Reply #538653 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

People hae no problem taking their kids out to Big Big Bash, AFL, even visiting socer teams ( when they usually have no interest in socer) to mid week events.
Its a matter of the event being promoted as special, specatular, etc. etc. We really haven't seen any more than token gestures at promoting NBL games for years.
Even if you want to go to a 36ers game, its hard to find the stadium!

The only people who know about the NBL is you and me so it will be interesting to see how much money is thrown at promoting the NBL.

Midweek games will impact on country fans, people who may have to travel 2 hrs or more to get to a game, but the league will 'happily ignore" those few if it can generate more income through sponsorship dollars thanks to increased TV exposure.

Reply #538666 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

As a Wildcat member I love the Friday night games just after work. (maybe 6pm). Ive attended a few wed night games in the past... that wasnt bad.

The great thing about Perth Arena is that its about a 4 minute walk from the Main train station here.

Its actually weekend games I struggle with. Anything on Sunday particulary as their there are less train services etc.

Another good thing to come on workday week games is the Red Army striding through the city heading towards the game. Feels really good seeing them all out there.

Reply #538681 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

so paid up season tickets are what now? we are paying more per game, some pre paying.
There's no change in the number of games.

Reply #538702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe not but seriously if you are Perth supporter the hype of weekend games and midweek games is totally the opposite. Let's hope Perth games are distributed evenly across the board as will everyone else's games will be.
Worst decision ever made.

Reply #538703 | Report this post

Small market teams can host midweek games, big market teams can host weekends. There should not be an even spread just for the sake of it.

Reply #538714 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

When it comes to distribution of weekend games I think whatever makes Larry Kestleman the biggest chance of getting back monies he's invested.

I think saying "Townsville is a small market so let's only give them Wednesday/Thursday games" then that is silly as they should get many games on those days but Reptile Rumbles and other rivalry games (perhaps Blanchfield and Markovic returning for the first time) should be given a more epic feel and time slot.

I'm wondering who owns NBL games of the past as I hope NBL.tv can become a WWE network/major U.S. Sports networks type situation where we can have classic matches and rivalries and biographies of hall of famers and yes even panel shows (including Breakers if Sky do something for them).

It certainly sounds like things are trying to be sorted out after lots of disappointment from fans so good luck to the powers that be and I hope we don't live to regret dealing with Fox Sports

Reply #538733 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

How about NBL TV subscription to give us some NBA games as well.

Reply #538757 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jumpshot, that would just complicate a situation they already struggle with. If people want NBA, they can get League Pass. If they want NBL, get the NBL equivalent.

It's not as though the NBA would just let them broadcast NBA games for nothing. It would just be a distraction for the league.

Reply #538771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More weekday games yessss weekday sport in Aus is virtually non existent and makes after work boring.

Also bare in mind NZ play every second week a home game usually on a Thursday. So really all you are changing is one weekly Wed night game and an extra Thurs night game. So that is 19 games plus 9/10 Thurs games. Roughly 30 slots divided by eight teams = each team other than NZ hosting 4~ Wed/Thurs night games per season. That isn't too bad. So 10 of your 14 home games are still on the weekend.

Reply #539279 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:16 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754