Anonymous
Years ago

Casey Prather signs with Perth Wildcats

Confirmed on their Facebook page.

Have a look at his awesome highlights reels!!

Topic #37559 | Report this topic

Dazz  
Years ago

Interesting.
He's what they said they were after, somebody to play on the wing. But having already spent a season in the D-League, he's a departure from their recent recruits. So I don't know if he's also a one year NBA wannabe, or if they might have abandoned that and be potentially looking longer term??

He's a little shorter than I would have liked...

Have a look at his awesome highlights reels!!

It's a highlight reel. Nothing that really impressed me.
So he can dunk (just) in open court against skinny little college kids with no D??? Well should be good for about 4 points a game in the NBL.
As I said, its a highlight reel, so we'll just have to wait and see what he can really do.

He's described as a swingman, so hopefully his outside game is equally impressive.

Reply #538904 | Report this post

Kolo Mee  
Years ago

I get your point regarding highlight reels having the potential to be deceptive, but to be fair he does appear to have been throwing down dunks all over the place in the D-League too, so not just against "skinny college kids".

Reply #538940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not going to judge just off a compilation like that but he looks pretty ordinary to me.
I'd love it if the Wildcats missed the playoffs this season. Ending the meaningless streak that they're always going on about would be nice and deflating Marvin's huge head would be even nicer. It has already been deflated a couple of sizes in the last year and now another high profile dud plus missing the playoffs would be the icing on the cake.
Recruiting a one trick dunk pony reeks of desperation to me. He is going for style over substance after all those members had their ticket prices jacked up the same season the entertainment factor went from a 9.5 to a 0.5. He got mega lucky with having Ennis gifted to him but Daniels was a disaster and I don't think Prather will be much better. Dunks are cool and all but they aren't going to satisfy the spoiled Perth fans if they are always in losses. Steph Curry has got fans appreciating slick ball handling and sweet shooting and I don't see any of that in Perth.

Reply #538945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh dear.

Reply #538950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no way Prather will be worse than Daniels I don't know why there is so much doom and gloom about this signing is it because he wasn't drafted.

Reply #538953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once you've had a Ennis type, its hard to accept anything less, which would be the majority of imports available any year! Perth need to accept the Ennis situation was a one off and they maximised there return, but won't be happening again any time soon again! This guy will be serviceable.

Reply #538954 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Hmm I wonder if he can play some back up 2 and instead of getting a back up guard with the last spot we get a Perth local, currently unsigned, son of a Wildcat with his jersey retired..

Reply #538962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also would like to see Cody Ellis come home to Perth. Prather could play some minutes at 2 guard but with Beal, Martin and Greenwood there wouldn't be minutes for Burdon anyway

Reply #538963 | Report this post

"Prather is terrible because I hate Nick Marvin" - #945

Reply #538966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't hate Marvin but I think he is totally overrated. The great things he supposedly did were either thanks to Jacks money or thanks to lucking into a new stadium being built in the city. Before they moved he hadn't achieved shit and the team was losing money just like everyone else. Change to a great venue that he had nothing to do with and suddenly he is some genius who should be running the league and everyone else should be looking to. What a joke.
None of that has anything to do with what I think of Prather. Stats say he can't shoot. Video is just dunks. So is he just Greg Hire with more hops? We will see. Doesn't sound like what the Cats need.

Reply #538973 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Getting a player who was one of the best players on one of the best NCAA teams two seasons ago, and who proved he could perform on very big stages is far from a bad signing. Time will tell how well he goes in the NBL, but he has the potential to be a very good player.

Reply #539008 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anon #945 ........ Really ?
Firstly how can you say that Perth's streak is meaningless.mits a fantastic accomplishment. Even if you hate Perth you can't deny that.

Secondly, Marvin and co were the first to introduce the concept of bring NBA prospects like Ennis to the NBL and laid the foundation for other clubs to follow. The move to the Arena in the city may of made for a jump in attendance but you don't just magically increase your crowds from 4000 to 12000 as easy as that.

Lastly, how can you possibly judge Prather when he hasn't even played a game in the NBL? The guy was picked up by the Suns before being waived.

You obviously hate Perth and anything associated with the club but c'mon you can't discredit the club, Marvin or a player who hasn't even played for them yet because of that. Your just being silly.

Reply #539042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#973 correct as a Wildcats fan Marvin didn't do anything right place right time in the money with arrogance to boot.

Reply #539289 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

"Secondly, Marvin and co were the first to introduce the concept of bring NBA prospects like Ennis to the NBL and laid the foundation for other clubs to follow".

No they weren't. The Hawks brought out Doug Overton straight out of college and after 1 year he returned to a lengthy NBA career.

Adelaide also had Rick Brunson in his rookie year and he played 9 years in the show, albeit with a year in the CBA after the NBL.

Reply #539317 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Fair point fstos, I stand corrected. Perhaps it would of been more appropriate to say that the success of Ennis prompted other teams to revisit that import strategy.

Reply #539320 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they introduced the concept of signing draft picks weren't going to make the roster as their 'stash destination' OS. It was a great idea and deserves a lot of credit.

Reply #539335 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As I said, we need to wait and see. (Don't we always.)
He's touted as a swingman so hopefully he has outside game. My point was just that all the highlights show is dunks. Which is fine, they're highlights, but doesn't give us any indication of how he'll really fare. Besides, not even very impressive dunks! Even Daniels could get above the rim when he had the opening.
Personally, I think he's a weird choice, BUT he IS what the Cats said they wanted.

I SUSPECT that what we will see from the Cats this season (and we saw a bit late last season) is a bit more flexibility with their "starting" 5. Prather is really going to play on the wing, a real SMALL-Forward. With Knight/ Jervis/ Redhage/ & Wagstaff they have the potential to run with 3 forwards if they need to against bigger teams.

Reply #539901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:24 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754