Anonymous
Years ago

SA Premier League Blockbuster fizzles

Low fan turnout, unfair scheduling makes Blockbuster lacklustre

Topic #37563 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Care to elaborate i=on what this is in relation to?

Reply #538976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Premier League blockbuster I'd say

Reply #538977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say most of the kids are enjoying it, face painting, plastic bubbles, photobooth. Games aren't half bad. Bit hard to please aren't you. Low crowd but a good one neverless. Less than 50 at Port last night think crowds have been down all way round this season.

Reply #538981 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

Great games hampered by unfair timeslots and without doubt the WORST court in Australia to watch a game of basketball.
Court 3 at Titanium Arena is a disgrace and unfit for purpose

Reply #538986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks Steve

Reply #538987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Low crowds all year due to the terrible standard of half the teams. Won the other night West v Tigers you had a scorline of 54 to 46. How low scoring is that and those teams benches would struggle to Play Under 18 Div 1.

Where have all the good players gone!!

Reply #538990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the coaches taking this opportunity to give some of the younger players a go

Reply #538991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did the advertise it didn't hear anything about it a junior level

Reply #538992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel for the Woodville teams playing South at 10am for women and 1145am for the men after a Saturday night game when thier opponent South didn't play the night before. Do this Blockbuster Sunday all teams should be in same schedule of a back to back.

Reply #538997 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

I thought it was generally a pretty fair effort by BSA to provide a range of activities for the wider community. Hopefully word of mouth will bring more for the next blockbuster, whenever that may be.
I agree court 3 is bad for fans - better stadiums for this would be Wayville and Pasadena - smaller but much better crowd atmosphere and still space for bbq, face painting, kids' games, etc.

Reply #539016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The biggest issue was the double headers for some but not others. Run this event mid season as a single day event and scrap the double headers so you dont have the South/Eastern issues that we saw today

Reply #539028 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Wayville and Pasadena can take Seating on Court 3.

Reply #539035 | Report this post

W  
Years ago

Wayville defs the better option. It hosted uni games with a highly watched final on the last day. Only thing is that it is not neutral. Clubs don't want Forestville getting more revenue.

The far court today was terrible. Would it be better to have a mens big day and a womens on different weekends. You could play all the games on the center court with the stands down?

If not then it has to be moved to wayville or to an updated stadium in the future...?

Reply #539094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before the season many said this "event" would be a fizzer - and they were proved absolutely right. Whoever decided on this ABA overhaul hasn't gotten a single change to work for the better - hope they don't get any further say in things!

Reply #539143 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Whatever happened to the Wednesday night double-headers at the Powerhouse/Dome? I used to go to them back in the 90s, was a good cheap thing to do on a Wed night. Some decent crowds as well, though the teams were pretty stacked back then.

Reply #539166 | Report this post

DMX  
Years ago

this isnt as much a BSA issue as this is a club issue, teams arent as good any more, people dont want to watch a game that scores as many points as a U18 game.

Reply #539276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting comment DMX while another thread talks about clubs spending junior fees on seniors.

In the bad old days of multiple (paid) imports and BASA contracting 36ers to also play locally many clubs spent over $40k on player salaries for State League level.

I would much rather have clubs spending junior fees on their junior programs than going broke over spending on a State League program.

There were a lot of issues with the Blockbuster, I disagree its the Clubs to blame

Reply #539308 | Report this post

W  
Years ago

There are some very good and exciting teams but there are also some very poor teams. The product and the management has dropped. But it was the management that made the product drop in the first place.

Reply #539883 | Report this post

negative  
Years ago

I agree with the facts that all the changes weren't for the better, but I suppose at least they tried something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #540220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But trying something that the clubs knew wouldn't work, and then blaming said clubs when it predictably didn't work is pretty lame. It was never a good idea, and the person who pushed it (among other dumb things implemented) should be removed from further decision making.

Reply #540260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he's the chairman

Reply #540262 | Report this post

surprise  
Years ago

"he's the chairman" says it all really. What hope have we got if the people at the top don't listen to the people delivering the entertainment.

I do agree that at least they tried to do something to create some interest but how hard did they work to make it a success.

Who would have seen it on the BSA website? No one uses their site as its always out of date?

Did anyone instruct the clubs to inform their members at all levels?

Why charge $2 for kids? Make it free for kids FFS.

Sure the bubble balls were fun, the photo booth looked ok, even the facepainting was good but not much good if there was only 2 dozen kids there at any one time.

Perhaps 6 clubs one week on one court only and 4 clubs the next or maybe women saturday men sunday so all games are on one court only.

It was ridiculous having a court announcer on the main court introducing teams on court 3 WHILST THE GAME ON COURT 2 WAS RUNNING.

Like i said, some ok ideas and an attempt to make interesting changes but everyone deserves the same experience otherwise its not viable.

Maybe 2016 will bring some tweaks to make it work?

Reply #540271 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

when the almighty dollar is put aside in every decision made at BSA, then some of these innovations may actually work.
when a CEO's major KPI concern is fattening up the bank account of course that will be the restricting factor in the sports development.
How about 'investing' in the sport to the detriment of income stream.
Every successful business in the State invests money into marketing, advertising and back into plant and equipment.
If you're going to innovate back yourself and be willing to lose money.
Market the hell out of it, print , radio ,tv..at least something more than an email
Sometimes you've got to be prepared to lose some money for the betterment and longevity of your product.

Reply #540275 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:41 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754