Bear
Years ago

Camera Policies at Basketball Associations

At a recent committee meeting we were informed by one of our parents that after a game when he went to take some photos of the kids he was asked politely to sign a camera policy document and verify his identity with a driver's license.

He did this, no drama at all and continued to take some photos and all was well.

Now, I have never been asked to do this at a basketball game less than say Nationals or that level, so my question for considerations is quite simply, does anyone think this process should be done more broadly?

Pro's, con's, what do we think, is it time to consider how we can protect kids and the Associations in a time of high social media use and increasingly frequent potential for liability, or are we happy to sit and wait?

Has anyone else observed this process being adopted at their local Association?

Topic #37597 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'm very cynical about this stuff. If someone is going to take a photo of a kid for the wrong purpose they will do so regardless.

It's like National Police Clearances, they just give paranoid people a sense of calm. There would be plenty of "bad" people with a squeaky clean NPC

Reply #539770 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

I think we really need to move with the times here, social media is here to stay and in reality you have the same rights when playing basketball/soccer/football or walking down the street or driving your car for someone to take your picture or record you. From my understanding the only reason someone can be stopped from taking photo's/video of a minor is if there are some legal ramifications eg a sex offender or custody battle or something along those lines.

Even though we ok'd this prior to the game as a courtesy with the other team I once had a girl and her family from the opposite team come and "tell" (not ask) our team manager delete the film of the game we just played after a loss where the girl received a tech foul (and generally played and behaved poorly) and threatened to "take us to court if we did not do so as it is illegal for us to film minors"... When we replyed "So why did your club film the grand final with about 3 cameras last season that we played you in" the reply was "Oh thats finals thats different" /sigh

And if we start asking people to sign something every time they take a photo etc where does it start and end, my girls and their family and friends that come to watch the games can be seen taking 20 selfies a night at games etc (drives me crazy as well). So do we have to put signs up saying no pictures or selfies in the stadium?

I'm all for protecting the kids but also am a realist,I have spent a lot of time with family in the USA over the last few years and its clear one of the reasons the sport is growing there/here and around the world is media/pics/video/social networks having an impact and bringing more people into the fold which is a great thing. I'm sure everyone reading this has watched a mixtape or some random highlight. The only real reason I have facebook is so that I can get updates from past players and family that play (some OS) in the form of pics and small vids etc, such a great way of keeping up with whats happening, I'd hate to lose that. Id say the good of this far outweighs the bad and making it too hard to let friends family supporters know how your team etc is going only hurts the game. A good topic and just my 2 cents of course ;)

Reply #539771 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

Its funny as Ive seen this type of "policing" at primary school award ceremonies where strictly no photography was enforced, to the point where a number of parents where asked to leave. I see the iPads and tripods around the court, but you'd have no idea if this is parental or for the teams coach to review.

I regularly record my teams games to review so that I can highlight positives in a 3-4 min highlight sequence. It is a significant training tool, and I agree with another post above, those that are doing it for misuse, would do so regardless.

Reply #539780 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I believe people wanting to film or photo games where minors are involved should have to get the okay and sign paperwork because there are child protection laws to be obeyed.

If it is policy for Nationals then it should be the same for any state or association competitions.

Reply #539785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Filming a sporting event is not a breach of child protection laws.

Reply #539788 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

"I believe people wanting to film or photo games where minors are involved should have to get the okay and sign paperwork because there are child protection laws to be obeyed."

Yes I understand your point but what happens if its a brother or sister taking a pic from their iphone of their sibling to send to mum or share with friends from the stands, surely we would not want to stop this kind of thing, and having them be thrown out of a stadium or whatever for such would only hurt the game overall, but its such a grey area.

To sum up as a parent we are all scared of the bad apples out there ruining it for everyone else, but i'm sure no-one has an issue with friends and family taking pics at games or coaches recording for obvious basketball reasons. I have film and pics of myself playing back in Highschool in the US from 25 years ago and I wouldn't give that up for the world. Just seems we live in fear of everything these days...

Reply #539789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone is saying it will prohibit people being able to take photos or do videos, it only provides some effort in deterring those who want to do it for malice.

No one and no policy can stop everyone from doing bad things, but is that an excuse to not even try and put in place something to at least make people aware and know their details are recorded if they do use media for malice.

Selfies are an interesting issue, not sure about the answer for that one, at least in these circumstances.

As with all such policy, it is common sense in its application and how people react to it that makes it workable.

Reply #539790 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Video and Photography Policy

Click here to download the Basketball SA Video and Photography Policy

Reply #539792 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Well that didn't work but the policy document not hard to find on B SA website

Reply #539793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Policy at Nationals is more about the "rights" to images when a company such as Kangaroo is employed to take " official" shots.

I believe photos are O.K. but high powered zoom lenses are a no no

Reply #539797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correctly mentioned, at Nationals you are prohibited from using a 100X + zoom lense but you still have to register as a person using the camera.

Jack, usually you make more sense than that! You are implying that we should just give up on trying because we can't control everything, surely you gets?

School basketball is a problem, they can be overzealous with their rules. No dunks allowed, no cameras, once I even heard you couldn't cheers your kids on court because it was determined you were coaching from the sidelines!!!!!!!

Rules are great, but using them properly and for the correct purpose, not a power trip is very important because otherwise people just get off side and start to get pissed off, then you get officials arguing with the wrong crowd.

Reply #539799 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Its only an issue if you post it online. Parents can carry on all they like but it is perfectly legal to photo/video your kids at sport. The main issue is the obvious 'bad' people and for custody, domestic violence orders etc when people can access info via pics posted on line or again 'bad' take pics off sites for the wrong purpose and put kids and families at risk or break protection orders. People video for themselves or family members who can't be at the game or just for memories. Nothing wrong with that. We need to relax but be vigilant if we see a random person who seems detached from the parents or players and staff then question them. Not the parent in the bleachers with other parents.

Reply #539806 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

Well said ^

Reply #539819 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

799, I'm not saying we give up, I'm just saying that policies just need to be realistic. Parents taking photos of their kids and their kids teams is ok

Reply #539827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did someone honestly just try and copy and paste text thinking it would link to something. Wow

Reply #539864 | Report this post

nix54  
Years ago

Pretty sure there is no child protection law that prevents photograhy of children. Just policy at each event.

Reply #539970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am an avid amateur photographer and have been photographing my kid's teams for years and I have professional level gear. Basketball Victoria has very clear guidelines on their website and, simply, opposition teams cannot stop you from shotting a game unless they have good reason to do so, with the example used being where there is a child protection order in place (which they have to prove before stopping you). The document says that as a matter of courtesy you should advise the opposition coach, which I always do. Never had a problem, not VJBL, not Classic, not finals, one problem with domestic (see later).

Nationals is a different story where mobs like Kangaroo Photos pay for the right to shoot all games and therefore protect their payment by restricting the use of professional level gear. Never had a problem there either, it's all in the way you go about it.

The one problem I had was, I was shooting a club training at the personal request of the club president, I had been standing with him for some time getting instructions, I had been on the court shooting for about an hour and some mum comes up demanding to know who I am and what I am doing. I sent her over to the president.

It's all in how you go about it. turning up in a club polo or hoodie is a good start, being seen to be talking to coach before the game (and also the referees because I always let them know I am shooting), all go a long way to showing people you are involved.

And I always carry a copy of the BV photography guidelines in my pocket for anyone who challenges me, it's never happened.

Reply #540226 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So anon^ you would obviously have no issues with signing in as you enter a venue? Do you see this as something which should be done more often, or a waste of time?

Reply #540331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Bear, absolutely incorrect, I have massive problems with having to sign in at venues. If BV thought it was an issue their photography guidelines would be a lot more stringent. Signing in would be a waste of time and wouldn't achieve anything. I'm polite, let the right officials know as a matter of courtesy and don't have problems.

Reply #541199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon what is this massive problem you have with people being asked to sign in if they are in fact asked to do so, curiously?

Reply #541227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Anon, the reason I have a problem is that I don't like to be treated like I am a criminal. Not everyone with a camera is a paeodophile. You don't see the multitudes of people with iPhones or iPads get questioned. Merely because I have a quality camera makes me one?

I shot two games of junior and one game of senior footy on the weekend. I wasn't there professionally, I was at each game as a favour to friends. Two of the teams I had never shot before and other than the friends who asked, no one knew me. No one came near me, no one questioned me. I didn't have to, as a 'matter of courtesy', tell the other coach, or the umpires, or the team manager or anyone else. Same with netball, I don't have to 'clock in'.

So why should I have to with basketball? What makes basketball special? What makes it a greater target that I have to sign in to prove that I am 'OK'.

I've shot basketball in the USA and when I, as I always do, went to the USA coaches and told them, they looked at me like I was an idiot and wondered why I bothered.

Not everyone with a camera is a paeodophile and anyone in future who questions me will get the BV Photography Guidelines given to them and told they can't stop me.

An earlier poster said 'child protection laws need to be obeyed', it is not against child protection laws to shoot a game of basketball, stills of video. And I can go out in the street and video people walking along and there is nothing they can do about it. Neither is agains the law and people who say it is need to go and check.

If it was against the law, don't you think BV would have stopped it?

Reply #541657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geeze Loiuse, get a grip and take a Valium anon^, no one is calling you anything, people are just asking a simple question about a policy. You seem to be one of those tossers who can't be told anything and is right about everything?

Reply #541677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the way if it is a condition of entry into a venue that you must sign, then you must sign or leave, deal with it.

Reply #541678 | Report this post

#677 you asked him for a reason, he gave it to you. Either show him what the problem is with his thinking or leave it at that. They're pretty valid reasons so you probably wouldn't be able to argue any of them.

Telling him to calm down when you asked the question actually makes you the tosser.

Reply #541684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Where a sporting event is held on a club's private property, privately owned land, a school or council owned facilities, the owners of private property or venues are able to restrict or ban photography (e.g. some council owned facilities will not allow mobile phones or cameras in change rooms or toilets)."

"Where a sporting event is held on private property not owned by the organisers, there needs to be a discussion with the owners to determine a mutually agreed photographing policy. There is nothing, however, to prevent a person from photographing outside the property boundary unless it is taken for indecent purposes, as previously discussed."

So yes, if you're asked to sign in to film, you have to sign in to film. "Wah I don't want to it makes me feel like a paedophile" isn't a good enough excuse it seems.

Reply #541693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"anyone in future who questions me will get the BV Photography Guidelines given to them and told they can't stop me."

I hope you video a game of a certain Melbourne team and their massive whinger parents.

Reply #541751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Superintelligent Charming you have no idea do you? 'I don't like being treated like a peadophile' is no reason or major issue other than what is in someone's head. The question was asking what the problem is with signing in, so one wasn't presented, just a rant about being defensive minded if asked to comply with simple policy that is there for a good reason. I think there are two tossers and you are the other one!

Reply #541765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have no problem identifying myself to take photos. But annoyed when we are not supposed to take photos of our own children playing because it is a kangaroo photo (or whoever event).

Reply #541776 | Report this post

"Superintelligent Charming"

Wow that was funny!

"you have no idea do you?"

At least I can read and comprehend what was said, and not twist words around to suit something it is that you think you're saying.

But yeah, keep calling everyone a tosser without understanding what is being said. You'll go places.

Reply #541780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tosser

Reply #541784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL

Reply #541785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plot twist: you actually are a paedophile and are finding out how to look less like one

Reply #541833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:20 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754