RMQ
Years ago

NBL 15/16 fixtures released

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/3hu72x8lel211uyn4i8mhi1f0

thoughts?

Topic #37607 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not happy at all with 5 Wednesday games as I can't attend any of them - I wish I hadn't renewed already as I certainly wouldn't have if I'd known the schedule would be like this.

Reply #540067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tough start for Adelaide - New Zealand Perth double on the road.

Reply #540068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, no Friday night games which is disappointing.

Reply #540069 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Full schedule as a PDF

NYE games in Townsville and Cairns.

Reply #540070 | Report this post

"Tough start for Adelaide - New Zealand Perth double on the road."

Wrong way around. Two home games to start for the Sixers.

Reply #540071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry misread it!

Reply #540073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Wed games are stuffed for me as well, already paid up. Not happy.

Reply #540074 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Perth with 5 Wed games , 2 Thursday games. Had i known this earlier i would not of renewed.

I can handle a couple of games during the week but these are really inconvenient due to work/personal commitments.

Disappointed to see the mid week games not evenly distributed.

Reply #540076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what's worse, this horrible draw (wish I hadn't renewed already) or how little the club communicates with us in any way !!!
5 Wednesday games
2 posts in 2 weeks

Great players in the league but the club and the NBL are pushing us away from being able to watch them

Reply #540077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also not happy with Wed/thurs games... wouldn't have got a membership if I knew this was going to happen...

Reply #540078 | Report this post

"Perth with 5 Wed games , 2 Thursday games. Had i known this earlier i would not of renewed. "

You're looking at the away games. Perth has 8 friday games at home, two thursday, two sunday, one saturday and one Monday, which has a public holiday the day after.

Reply #540079 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"You're looking at the away games. Perth has 8 friday games at home, two thursday, two sunday, one saturday and one Monday, which has a public holiday the day after."

Hahahahaha oops. That's so much better
God I feel like a retard now :P

Reply #540080 | Report this post

Not really, I don't know why they'd list the away team first.

Reply #540081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fear not Perth fans

I've now re-read it with Home team 2nd column.

It is Hawks that have 8 Wed/Thurs games.

Reply #540083 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think pretty much everyone's misread the fixtures in terms of home/away. Bizarre that they've done that.

Nice to see quick, easy calendar downloads, though. Saved me a few hours, that.

Reply #540085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well hawks memberships are about to go down on what was anticipated.

Reply #540087 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBA fixtures typically list the away team first.

Reply #540090 | Report this post

brett  
Years ago

The 5 Wednesdays and playing the same night as the AC/DC concert basically means my family will now be missing almost half of the games. So disappointed.

Not a single family friend Sunday afternoon?

Reply #540091 | Report this post

"NBA fixtures typically list the away team first."

They'll list Away AT Home. If half the people here and on Twitter, and one of the few media outlets that report on the NBL have all read it wrong and commented, its not the right way of doing things.

Reply #540093 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Wasn't it away team second in last year's fixture also? It is just another Americanisation of our game, may take some getting used to for some of us but not a big thing I wouldn't have thought...

Reply #540095 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sorry I meant to say, 'away team first', not making sense as usual...

Reply #540096 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

99% sure the away team has always been listed second, until this year.

Reply #540097 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Just had a quick look, correct, last year was home team first - away team second. There you go, trying to copy NBA and U.S. College I reckon!!!

Reply #540098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only 13 home games, didn't we have 15 last season. Works out to $30 per game for gold tickets.

Initially liked the games 5 days a week but 5 on a wed is a bit much, if it was 3 on a wed and 2 or 3 on a Thursday i wouldn't have a problem as happy to hand my tickets to others occasionally but to miss 5 games sux.

Reply #540099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs with 9 out of their 14 home games on a Wednesday or a Thursday and also at 6:30pm because of no daylight savings. Good luck to them trying to get a crowd

Reply #540100 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

There was talk of a new finals format - best of five. Is that happening this season?

Reply #540103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the draw was done by a US firm so that would be the reason for the change i believe

Reply #540104 | Report this post

Don't want to make a massive issue out of it because it isn't but half of the NBL's problems in the past 10-15 years have come from a "that'll do" attitude. That never seems to change.

Reply #540105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a lot of people on this forum who have been making the excuse that they can't go out on a school night because mummy said so. Leagues all around the world play during the week. FFS Grow up.

Reply #540106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't have a problem with mid week games - it's that I have a commitment on a Wednesday night so with 5 games on that night of the week, it's a waste of money being a season ticket holder. It would have been much better to have a more even spread of games.

Reply #540108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry about growing up! Hawks fans ripped off, Sensible parents with kids ripped off. Young children may go but getting home at 10pm so many times mid week, crowds will be down. We are not NBA, we don't have cities with multimillion populations. The NBL seem to be favouring some franchises with the draw???

Reply #540109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So from glancing over it Adelaide have all Wednesday and Saturday night home games bar 1 Friday and 1 Thursday game or something along those lines.

Reply #540111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't the NBL use to regularly do Wednesday games?

Reply #540113 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

So why are there 2 gaps for home game again, no home game for the 36ers from 21nd Nov to 12th Dec and 23rd Dec to 20th Jan.

Why have 3 week gaps with no home game!!!!!
An 8 week period with 2 home games. WTF!!!

Reply #540115 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Think outside the square folks, if you go to the NBL on a Wednesday night during summer you get the whole weekend off to do something else, happy days!!!

Reply #540116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

11 hawks home games, Wed-Fri. Where are the games in the school holidays, not in Wollongong! Sorry the promotions department is missing something. Other sports encourage kids to go, as parents have to go with them. Win-win for them. The games and spectacle/entertainment at the mid week hawks games will have to be spectacular to get and keep fans coming back. The draw lacked consistency, fairness and common sense.

Reply #540119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Perth have 2 Thursday games and a Monday game Jan 25! Long weekend! NO Wed games. Favourable draw still.

Reply #540123 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

^Monday Jan 25 isn't a public holiday - Tuesday 26th is.

Reply #540129 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The league has re-released with the home teams listed first: PDF here

Reply #540144 | Report this post

WE DID IT REDDIT!!

Reply #540147 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

^hahaha what an experience

10/10 would complain again.

Reply #540180 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Never understood the whole American thing of listing away first @ home team. Doesn't make any sense. Another one of those things America does just for the sake of being different. Looks like we've followed them again.

I'm in that general area on Wednesday nights until 5pm. Bit annoying that we have 5 of them. Pretty much means I just have to hang around in the area for 2 hours as it's a 1 hour round trip to get home, then back again.

Reply #540184 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Australia is not a big enough market to have too many mid week games, and the regional teams are really gonna struggle.

I would go no wednesday games but instead go thurs - Sun.

28 game season over 14 rounds, with a mid season week off. eg.
Rounds 1-10: October - Early Jan
Rounds 11-14: Mid Jan - Mid Feb
Finals: Feb and March

Reply #540189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns stitched up with 5 away games in a row from Rd 3 on.

Reply #540199 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yep that is harsh. I can only think we have to grit our teeth here and hopefully they will learn for next year. On the surface its looks really awkward for many team and fans. Personally cant see the logic in these mid week games when we play so few games anyway. Fri/Sat works and Sun to a lesser extent, why divert from that.

Reply #540203 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

http://nonlbassets.imgstg.com/assets/console/gallery/images/Fixtures-250.jpg

Pretty nice chart

Reply #540209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes so RMQ everyone will flex off on the Monday and have a long weekend. Since when does the NBL that is supposed to be playing Wed - Sund now have a Monday game?

Reply #540216 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Shocker for working families and children. Kings have nearly 50% home games on Wednesday and Thursday. Why would I pay for full membership and only see half the games? Who is responsible for this schedule?

Reply #540222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LKG is now the 51% owner.

Reply #540225 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Jumpshot, please, please please in a city of 4.3 million you can't get a crowd to a game on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday because Sydney siders are always saying the social life is to good to go to a game. Now are saying Wednesday and Thursdays are to hard........pathetic

Reply #540227 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would anyone think they've taken this path by accident? They would know that they risk alienating people.

One aspect is probably venue availability. Another is accessibility for TV.

Big Bash is almost every night of the working week when it's on. Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, etc.

For some portion of the NBL schedule, it will be the extended school holidays.

Reply #540228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep a great draw, going back to the good old days of the nineties the golden age of the NBL when weekday games were the main stay of the sport.

Reply #540284 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone needs to move out of the 90's and realise our demographics and economics have changed. Not to mention attitudes, motivation and competition. Even Media has changed dramatically. What worked in the 90's may never work again.. We need to fit with today and the future.

I loved permed hair and rollerskating but I'm not going to get a perm and roller-skate let alone find a rink anymore. Move on people. New product needed including some rule modifications. 3 second defensive is the ksey to open up the floor and allow the specky stuff. I and a purist but for product and membership this is what is needed. save the pure stuff for representative teams. This opens up for more opportunities for different styles and ties of ballers. And lets fix the music pleaseeeee..

Reply #540287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To quote NBA Jam;

"That's the nail in the coffin!"

Reply #540298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sydney Wed games were total disaster for the Kings last time around. Nothing has changed and with the potential of Homebush games it will be far worse.

Reply #540316 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Great, so we have a fixture, now what about TV?

Reply #540323 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

and Sydney people wouldnt go to the Friday/ Saturday games either. Perhaps if they wont go to Wednesday games or Thursday games or Friday games or Saturday games...

they just wont go to games?

Reply #540325 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

A & Matthew - Smart arseness aside, Fri, Sat and Sun games are actually pretty well attended and I think improved last season, actually... Hopefully with an improved roster, the early home games will help, but the thing a lot of fans of other teams can't appreciate, quite apart from battling the ingrained NRL tribal mentality that has festered in this city for so many years, is that fans are so widely spread that it takes such a bollocks amount of time to get into the city at the best of times, let alone at peak time in the middle of the week, once work and school commitments have been completed...

I'll be in front row centre, I don't care how far I have to drive, but dragging the family in for a 60-90min trip into the city, struggling to find parking especially with the tearing down of the Entertainment centre car park to get in with enough time to have dinner before the game and then leaving at the earliest by 9:30pm to drive another hour home on a weeknight? Thursdays might be ok, easier to write a Friday off, but it shouldn't really be beyond the comprehension that Wednesday night games would be off putting for families, which is a huge target audience for most teams...

That's why every time this is brought up, I say that the Kings especially, should target city workers heavily with meals/drink deals around the city... Easier to get people who are already IN the city to a game than it is to drag them from over an hour away...

Reply #540374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 3 city home games in Sydney next season. The first 3 in a row. Then you will be happy

Reply #540384 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

A & Matthew - Obviously you're not a working family or have children. Otherwise you would understand it takes 1h 20mins to get to city in peak hour traffic on working day. 20 minutes to find parking for $30. Stay til 9.30pm, then another hour to get home at 10.30pm. Kids will be in bed at 11.30 pm. Obviously the new brand of basketball is not targeted to working families or children. If they can't get a TV deal as well, the new brand does not look good. PS. Sydney and Wollongong have nearly 50 % home games midweek, whilst Perth have 2, and United a couple. Work that one out.

Reply #540555 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Having games broadcast midweek could potentially draw new fans to the game. If your a sports lover, there is really no other live Australian sports broadcasts during the week.

When i was 15 i remember tuning into the NBL 1993 finals series on channel 10 and watched my first ever game of basketball. Have been hooked since.

Would much rather watch sport than one of the thousand reality TV cooking or renovation shows on TV.

Reply #540581 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Jumpshot, I do have a young family and a wife who's profession make her work shift work, so I do understand how hard it is for some. But I'm completely fed up with all the negative comments from many people saying it's the end of the world having mid week games!

But please show me anything negative ever stated in regards to the Big Bash competition?? Most of the Big Bash games are played mid week, 20-60 thousand attend every game plus each game is shown live on prime time TV.

And all I see at these games on TV are thousands and thousands of kids aged between 6-12 with mums and dads having a great night out on a school night. But apparently it will be just to hard to go to a NBL game in the same time slot.

I call it the stupid Australian sporting culture.

Reply #540673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to clear up one exaggeration, there were more sub-20k attendances than 20-60k attendances at the T20

Reply #540675 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Sorry for the exaggeration on the numbers 675, average for 2015 was 23500, and only a handful of games averaged under 20k and these were around 18k. I hope you can one day forgive me, but you must be the kind that the Heads at NBL HO are pulling their hair out for.....

Reply #540677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Train in 1993 the NBA was on TV and Ch10 broadcast live Kings games. A lot has changed since then. Sure it got you involved but ever since the NBA disappeared off FTA, it's never been the same.

Reply #540681 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Actually A there were many sub 20k games.

There were 6 in the 1st two rounds with 3 sub 13k

Reply #540683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If some games had 60,000 people then some games must have only been watched by the players familys for it to average out to 23k

Reply #540685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am surprised that people are quoting attendance figures as if they are real.

Reply #540690 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Perth Scorchers sell out every game in the big bash. But yeah your right, it's full of kids and families.

Reply #540720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget cricket,let's focus on the amazing start United has been gifted shall we!

Reply #540781 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:42 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754