Isaac
Years ago

36ers sign import combo guard Kenyon McNeail

McNeail, 24 and a 185cm combination guard, was the first player Wright drafted to compete for his team at the Worldwide Invitational Camp in Las Vegas this month, a tournament which runs concurrently with the NBA's Summer League.

The Sixers’ boss wanted a first-hand look at the Louisianna Tech grad who the university rated as its best college player, even ahead of former NBA star Karl Malone.

"Kenyon was MVP of the Portugal league, a league that used to be really strong and still isn’t too far off the NBL," Wright said.

“I wanted someone who could shoot the ball and he is a renowned three-point shooter.
Boti has more

College stats - 80%+ FT, 40% 3P.

Wait, this one has all four years.

College highlights:

Highlights from Portugal - 19+ PPG.

Topic #37608 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

185, kind of small. Hopefully he shoots as well as they talk it up.

Reply #540131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha the portugal league used to be really strong! Next import apot makes or breaks... not excited about this too much.

Reply #540134 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Looks like a waste of an import spot to me. Just looks like your basic player. He is undersized, he isn't particularly quick. Joey has made some questionable choices on imports.

I really hope the next import announced is someone we can get excited about. This looks like CJ Massingale part 2.

Reply #540136 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Obviously saving the cash for import #2

Reply #540137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he can shoot 40% from 3 he'll be very handy. Especially if he is a bargin basement type import at 50-65K this season.

I don't know about paying this guy big money though.

Reply #540138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Joey fooling by saying the Portugal league is a close standard to the NBL. I doubt that competition would be that far above SEABL

Reply #540139 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Just reminds me of that dud he picked up from Macedonia. Don't take players from 3rd tier International leagues!

I will be disappointed if our second import isn't a highlight machine/knocking at the NBA's door.

Reply #540140 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reminded me a bit of Jamar Wilson. If he can bring similar skills, that will be handy given I would've been fine with bringing back Jamar.

Reply #540141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like very undersized jarret jack. I must admit i have zero confidence in joey wright selecting imports that arent already established... so this could go anywhere! The highlights package from portugal isnt worth putting up... looks like pickup game!

Reply #540143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB, Jarrid Frye.

I'm not as negative on this pick as others sounds like he could be a younger version of Jamar and at least his very good 3pt shooting ability carried over from college to the pros.

I really hope the second import is a superstar type although usually the 'complimentary' imports aren't signed first. Still looks like it's going to be a long season for 36ers fans though.

Reply #540145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah im spewing to honest unless the next import is james ennis its going to be a long season of joey barking on the sidelines out of frustration. Not a deep enough team to compete with kings hawks even cats.

Reply #540148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like how this guy can shoot as he seems like a good fit next to Gibson. However as long as he's not the better import out of the two I'm fine with this.

Reply #540150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey says they're looking for a 6'5" swingman with the second import spot. If they're looking at guys in Bulgaria or something I'd rather they try and reach out to Ennis or even try and get Motum back if he gets cut by the Jazz and doesn't get picked up by another NBA team.

Motum has looked even better in the SL and that Boomers game last night than he did last season with the 36ers. Just don't bother with a Frye type.

Reply #540151 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Boti hinted that the second import is already signed, but not yet announced. He today mentioned:

a 196cm swingman wingman

The 6'4" guys on Wright's team in Vegas were:

Devereaux Manley
Jalil Abdul-Bassit

Though that obviously means nothing much.

Comments from Joey about McNeail:
"There' s nothing not to like about him," Wright said.

"He can shoot it, he is a leader, he is poised.

"If he was five inches taller, he'd be better ... but then he wouldn't be playing for me!"

Reply #540153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That doesn't sound good at all.

Reply #540154 | Report this post

Vodka 62  
Years ago

How about Torrey Craig for the second spot???

Reply #540157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey's ability to pull a rabbit out of the hat at a low salary import is up there with anyone else.

There weren't many lining up to take Adris Deleon out of the NY street ball circuit when Joey gave him a chance.

I'm not sure if Bubbles would have had a roster spot in the NBL at the time unless Joey gave him a call.

When playing at the low end salary point there will be misses, although I'd still give Joey the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Reply #540158 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Isaac are all the Anonymous post the same person?

"Not a deep enough team to compete with kings hawks" Have you actually looked at the Kings and Hawks bench?

Over the past 2 seasons the Sixers have needed a strong 3 point shooter guard. They now have that. This will now open up the inside and make it easier for our bigs. If he is like Ervin or Wilson but with a 3 point shot then he will be close to winning MVP.

GWB "Just looks like your basic player. He is undersized, he isn't particularly quick."

5 of the last 6 MVP's have been 6'3 or shorter
Kevin Lisch and Rotnei Clarke were short and not particularly fast. Both were excellent players. McNeail looks about as quick as Ervin, Jackson or Wilson.

Reply #540159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually like that we picked up someone who can shoot and is a genuine 2-guard and I have faith in the core group of this team. But, like others said, I hope there's a bigger name with the second spot, but I doubt it. Fingers crossed, though.

Reply #540160 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oh, I know who it is. Could be interesting.

Reply #540162 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am sure 196 cms is bigger than 6'4?

Cant we just get a decent import? We've dropped schensher, we don't have motum, surely we have the money?

Joey, stay away from obscure leagues. No one wants the Mongolian league MVP!

Reply #540164 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Isaac, you know who the anon is, or who the 2nd import is?

Reply #540166 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

DJ Kennedy?

Reply #540167 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Does anyone have any goss on the 2nd import??

I have no goss or inside knowledge but i keep thinking Ebi Ere when i hear 196cm scoring swingman, as he is those things, has played for Joey before, Joey usually has one proven import on his roster and is now older so more affordable to the NBL than he would have been in his prime.

He averaged 15 ppg in Peutro Rico in 2014/15 (Conklin averaged 11.7 ppg, Ced Jackson averaged 10.5 ppg in the same league as a reference point) So he may still be in fairly decent form, if not MVP level he should still be a better than average import and compliment our other swingmen well, was also clutch and fun to watch and im sure he will have some big games along the way.

Anyone know if Ebi is the man or who they are getting??

Reply #540168 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The second import, not anonymous. (Couldn't be bothered checking anonymous IPs. If you want the identity of repetitive haters, GWB is right there in plain site!)

And yes, 196 is 6'5" ish. I converted, saw 6.4' and didn't think further in a rush.

Reply #540169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB,

Keep in mind though Motum played for Montreal's salary last season, the NBL minimum wage. His contract was back-ended so Motum was going to be paid bigger money this season but opted out for NBA/Europe instead.

In saying that Schenscher's big money contract is now gone and presumably Gibson opted out of his big money option to re-sign for less.

Reply #540170 | Report this post

Iggle Piggle  
Years ago

Why do we need another swing man when we already have Creek Walker and Teys? We need a big man who can protect the paint, DJ is our only height but it's not a strength of his game. I think Gladness would be great but I'm sure we would rather gamble on an obscure league dud or Seabl player.

Reply #540172 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

2nd import is an interesting one, but not sold on this unit defensively... Will be a lot of points put up or atleast attempted with the projected squad. Really hope this guy can run the point and may need to get that assist rating up!

Reply #540173 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Isaac, you gotta let us know about the second import. You can't play with my emotions, man! Haha

Reply #540175 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Isaac, please just tell us whether or not we will be disappointed?

Reply #540182 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Interesting that he started pretty much every game his freshman year and averaged almost 30 mpg. Then had 25 starts his second year, but dropped to 22 mpg. Then pretty much never started again. His stats improved each year, but it's a bit weird that he just completely lost his starting spot and his minutes were cut as he got older.
I'm assuming we recruited him as a PG/SG, would be nice if we got someone who averaged more than 1apg for once. We have a bit of a habit of ignoring that stat with our imports.
Percentages are quite good though. He's definitely got a good 3 point shot, which is an area of weakness for us. He seems like a catch and shoot player though. So Gibbo will have to step up in the play-making role you'd imagine, which leaves us quite short.
Not heaps excited by the signing, but we'll see how goes. Good comments from Joey at least. Still got another import to go.

Reply #540183 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

GWB if it is not Ennis, a former NBA all star or a Sudanese player you will be disappointed. So there is a big chance you will be disappointed.

Reply #540185 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

That's not true. Prather isn't any of those things but that would have been a great pick up for us. I like to get players where the NBL isn't necessarily their ceiling, and where they can do things that are exciting to watch.

Reply #540187 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Ebi will not be a good fit for this team also he is past his prime if your looking at an impact import. No matter what stage of his career he is in, he will always score, the guys a chucker.

Two really boring signings for the club, they had the opportunity to make a statement but now will really struggle with memberships and bringing in the new fans they desperately need.

Reply #540191 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Yeah. Look out everyone! We've got Lucas Walker and the Mongolian League MVP!

I know I will be ridiculed for not finding the good in the average, but come on! Kings have 2 touted imports. Perth are about to have an excitement machine and a great steady import in Beal, is it wrong to want what everyone else is getting?

Right now the Crocs and Adelaide are in the arms race for least impressive import in the league. This Kenyon guy might end up being a nice role player for the team, but he isn't a star. He wont put the city on the map. Can we get a star for once? We haven't had an great import since Farley's prime, and haven't had a great import duo since Darnell Mee and Kevin Brooks.

Reply #540193 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

http://meltonbasketball.com.au/thoroughbreds-sign-anthony-kimble/ ???

Reply #540200 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

DJ is the star, he has a Aussie passport, but thats the marquee guy we have that any others dont. Same goes for those years when we had Cat he was as good as the best import in the league at the time...

Reply #540201 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2874910/jordan-kappen-spreads-wings-to-australia/ ??

Reply #540202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jamar was second in the league in scoring. What are you on about?
Last season everyone hyped up McRae, Daniels gladness and all the rest and now where are they??

Reply #540204 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Betting it will be another pick from locally tried stock !!! Didn't renew and again happy I didn't. Nothing to do with our Core 5 but still a lack of communication again with members. Got a letter after membership renewals were long overdue so lost seats of 4 years !!! nothing from nothing still... Can't make Wed as kids have other commitments and it's a school night and with no Sundays, there goes the family day out where we can hang back and get autographs and let kids meet the players. Sunday morning is 8am training so can't stay back Sat night.. Over it all and have gone from being a loyal and enthusiastic fan to Whatever Mate !!! Not knowing the schedule before purchasing a membership must be killing some people who can't make Wednesday and would be better off with a 3 game membership and pay as you go. Might have to be a Lightning fan but nothing from them either so no idea on that schedule.

Reply #540207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB you're dreaming

McNeail was rated the greatest of all time to come out of Louisana Tech the same school that Karl Malone and Pail Millsap went too.

He spends his summers playing pick up ball with guys like Penny Hardaway etc.

He can play the game, works very hard and will bring much needed shooting depth to the sixers (something they have lacked).

Ennis etc require big money. Something very few teams outside of Perth, Sydney and Melbourne have.

This will be a clever signing.

Reply #540219 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think he might surprise a few...or a lot!

Reply #540221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridiculed for not finding the good in average? Couldn't get you to shut up about Delly in the finals!

Reply #540224 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Doesn't have great college stats, hasn't played at a level near the NBL, but is quick and can shoot, which are two very handy qualities, just ask Rotnei Clarke! Not saying he's Clarke tndard, just that used right those attributes can help a team function well.

Jury out on this one, there's a lot to live up to after high-level imports like Ervin and Wilson and this is definitely a punt.

Reply #540230 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Reminds me of Derek Rucker

Reply #540231 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isaac, do you know when we can expect the announcement of the second import?

By chance, can you give us a clue as to who it is..?

Reply #540253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=199568235&client=1-4878-133150-338955-21797409

Reply #540263 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tornado, no idea and no.

Reply #540266 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The best Louisiana Tech player of all time, ahead of Karl Malone? Did he have a twin with the same name, because I see a roster page for an LTU grad named Kenyon McNeail who scored 11.0 PPG off the bench as a senior to go with 2.4 RPG and 1.0 APG.

Compared to that Karl Malone guy that put up 18.7 PPG and 9.3 RPG over his 3 year college career? Realy?

Reply #540280 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Isaac you worked out who it was from Boti's article if I'm not mistaken. Therefore you don't have an obligation to keep it a secret. Share with your fellow hoopsters bro!

Reply #540283 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isaac...I didn't think you would, but it was worth a shot! :-)

Reply #540289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi Ere?

Reply #540290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Can we get a star for once? We haven't had an great import since Farley's prime, and haven't had a great import duo since Darnell Mee and Kevin Brooks.'
Are you advocating we cheat the salary cap? Cos that's exactly what the Sixers got done for when Mee and Brooks played. McNeail wouldn't be getting paid the earth and doesn't have the profile of other imports, but give him a chance. Sometimes you get a bargain with imports as Cairns did with Wilson his first year in the league.

Reply #540292 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Don't have to breach the salary cap, just utilise the marquee provision?

Reply #540299 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I'd love to have 2 stud imports but I also enjoy having a team... Uuntil the TV deal etc. is worked out I don't think the Sixers would be financially in a position to do it with out putting the future of the club at risk...

Reply #540300 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I don't quite get the 'we haven't had a star import since Farley' talk. It seems to be a bit of a convenient re-engineering of history.

We had this guy who was kinda ok called Julius Hodge (who unfortunately turned out to be a bit of a head case).

We have also had a series of MVP calibre imports since Farley including Dusty Rychart (averaged 22 ppg and 10 rpg - he was here at the same time as Farley second time around but you were presumably referring to Farley c.2002), Adam Ballinger (2x NBL second team, 2x NBL third team), plus more recently your Ervin's and Wilson's. Some people on here continually want to re-sign Diamon Simpson on the basis he was a god or something.

If you mean 'star' as in a high flying excitement machine since Farley, I would still point out Hodge. But then again, there have not been too many Farley-type players in the league in any club in the last 10 years.

Reply #540305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah GWB was just offloading, but this season we need a star, just not sure we will be getting one. Very undure of the second import, potential has been in this stage of career. But to say we havent any good imports lately is silly talk.

Reply #540324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But then again, there have not been too many Farley-type players in the league in any club in the last 10 years."

Apart from Josh Childress, Carlos Powell, Julius Hodge, Cedric Jackson, James Ennis, Donta Smith, early Rashard Tucker and even Jordan McRae if you're talking later years Farley.

Reply #540336 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Just checked Eurobasket to confirm McNeail's rep.
No first or second team all Portugal NBL. No all import or defensive team. (weak league ) Can't find any note of MVP in his bio.
Sounds good tho! Joey certainly can talk his guys up. Hope they can deliver.

Reply #540342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey talks alot of talk as he has to... but lets be realistic about this guy. He is a cheap option and the hope is the 2nd import will produce more than enough. He will def get his shots up thats for sure...

Reply #540345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long before Boti starts calling him the 'Black Pearl'? He's the same size and plays like Cal Bruton!

Reply #540346 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Who is the second import!

Reply #540347 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'm thinking more and more the 2nd import is Ebi Ere...

Reply #540348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eurobasket normally give out their own awards which are quite often agent linked and different to the league awards.

From memory I think Eurobasket may have given Jamar Wilson the mvp in the nbl.

Reply #540357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I did a little bit of research on this guy and couldn't find confirmation he was either a) league MVP in Portugal or b) voted the best college player in Louisiana Tech's history over Karl Malone, even though he was supposedly a bench player.

The 36ers didn't mention either of those things in the press release of his signing which suggests they're bullshit.

Reply #540366 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

"Apart from Josh Childress, Carlos Powell, Julius Hodge, Cedric Jackson, James Ennis, Donta Smith, early Rashard Tucker and even Jordan McRae if you're talking later years Farley."

My point exactly. You have named a handful of players over the last ten years over all teams that have had the same explosive all-around game and could just go to another level and take the game away from the opposition.

Imports of Farley's calibre are pretty rare and hard to find, and it is even rarer that they hang around the NBL for any period of time to create any real legacy. Many imports with much higher credentials have had less impact. That is all part of the import lottery.

Reply #540392 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nothing too exciting in this signing, but we have needed more outside shooting for a long time, so if he can do that effectively and defend his position, I'll be happy.

He doesn't strike me as much of a point guard from his stats and the videos, so I think we can expect Gibson to run the offence most of the time.

If McNeail's range is as advertised, then I think we'll have enough shooting in the starting five to spread the floor, so I'd really like to see a wing who can attack the basket and make his free throws. (Newley actually looks like a better fit now.)

The other thing I am worried about is the lack of size and defence, with only Walker and a rookie big to backup DJ and Petrie. So I think the second import needs to be a star, because he's going to need to defend and rebound as well as score effectively. Any Childress clones about the place?

Reply #540451 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

This guy looks like an identical twin of Kevin Braswell in every aspect, looks, height, running/shooting/driving technique..... Scary how similar

Reply #540456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probs only half as capable though... that league is laughable based on the 'crowds' mustve beeb playing for peanuts.

Reply #540472 | Report this post

Adam G  
Years ago

Please don't boo him.

Reply #540473 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Farley was outstanding in his first year but rarely reached those heights after that.

Reply #540479 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

a likeable kinda guy, here at the airport after a thirty hour flight, wanted to go to training 'if possible'

Reply #540580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If nothing else, he has a great attitude!

Reply #540586 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Y E S

Reply #540590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ill take results and impact over attitude anyday. My mate just txt me giving me crap at the highlight video of the new import with 5 people in attendance haha

God i hope he compliments the 'big name' import well atleast. He will have to be positive cos wont be alot of shots to go around...

Reply #540609 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

A, Braswell is an apt, but scary comparison from what I have seen of the videos above! I really hope he is a better two way contributor than that!

Reply #540623 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon #540609 how do you know we wont get results and he wont have an impact...a bit premature to be making those calls.

Reply #540734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope you are right Tornado...

Reply #540740 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Could import 2 be Gilbert Arenas?

Reply #540877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tipping only the inner sanctum know the identity of the 2nd import and I am pretty sure Isaac is just having a lend of you all. I hope for us to be up there he is a top liner otherwise we mat struggle against Kings and Hawks.

Reply #540999 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not having a lend, not intentionally at least - it's possible my info is bad, but I suspect it's not. I imagine quite a few people know. Have we had many major signings announced this NBL off-season that weren't leaked early?

Jett jumped the gun on social media. Prather was mentioned around the place before being announced, same with Ogilvy and Lisch. Penney was the main rumour for the Hawks announcement the other day (unless you fell for the Hawks' amateur Shawn Marion effort!). It was pretty clear Schensch was going to end up in Townsville a long time before that was announced.

Reply #541049 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

All of the above was pretty common knowledge though. I knew about 90% of those before they were announced, as most would have. Everyone only guessing on sixers 2nd import though. Doin my head in. haha

Reply #541062 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Can we atleast find out of what calibre this second import might be? SEABL scrub? NBA draftee?

Reply #541064 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

GWB, the last person I would tell would be you. You are so inappreciative and spiteful.

Reply #541083 | Report this post

Well that escalated quickly!

Reply #541086 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

That comment came out of left field a bit. Where exactly have I been inappreciative? Where have I been spiteful? What in the world are you even on about? Yes it did escalate quickly, and I am wondering where that comment is even coming from. Is it because I get angry about the Boomers ridiculousness going on?

Reply #541096 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Read this thread for enough examples of yourself talking down a guy you haven't seen play, someone talking about you and disappointment, and you even acknowledging that you might be criticised for not seeing the good "in average".

Reply #541120 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Spiteful would be a strong word for it. It's not like I am hoping the worst for the guy, I just am dismayed that we aren't aiming where other teams are when they look for imports. I am all for criticism, but I don't consider myself spiteful or unappreciative. I just want the best for my teams.

Reply #541128 | Report this post

Whooa Nelly  
Years ago

It's Getting Hot In Herre

Reply #541133 | Report this post

This is nastier than Biggie and Tupac!!

Reply #541190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unappreciative did you mean? Hope you're not responsible for editing the websites you make Isaac

Reply #541201 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:30 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754