MRT
Years ago

Is NITP training necessary?

In Victoria the nitp training for girls/boys in U14 leads to what opportunities for these young kids. And is the extra training too much for growing bodies when there is already training for rep ball, domestic and in some bballers high school ball commitments. Any thoughts or experiences from parents. Thanks.

Topic #37609 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they don't want to play for Australia, go onto something higher like US college ball, or just achieve their potential.... Then, YES. It is too much.

Reply #540235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certain age group from vic where next to none of itp kids even play anymore. Kids not in system at same age playing d1 and d2 college now. It helps but doesnt mean cant work hard and get to where want to go. Said two players also made aus squad and team.

Reply #540238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not another one of these topics

Reply #540241 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

there is NITP for Under 14 now?

Reply #540244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubbish. you do not need to go through NITP to progress to national teams.

If you're good enough you'll make it on ability not connections.

Reply #540245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#0245 correct - what a nonsense. The NITP program is enormously overrated. Yes the kids get an extra training session but is it worth it. The program written by BV is appalling and the coaches who have to implement it have such a small interest in it. Plenty of kids out there playing ball, they all wont be chosen as this 'elite group'. Too much hype for a program that delivers very little.

Reply #540247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep its just nonsense. Many quality Rep programs already run their own high performance "extra" training programs within their own structure to cater to kids who want to do more.

There is nothing wrong with doing NITP if it suits, it's a good program, but to say NITP is a "compulsory" for advancement is just rubbish.

Reply #540250 | Report this post

new order  
Years ago

should be structured if the body is genuine about order

Reply #540255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only people who usually mention itb are the parents of kids who missed out, who just bag it.

Do you need to do it to advance to higher levels? No. Will it help develop you as a player? Yes. Is it the be all and end all? No. Will other non-NITP elite trainings help you develop? Yes.
It is what it is - one training a week, with and against good quality players. Nothing more, nothing less. It is one of many ways to get to the top.

Reply #540258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just wondering, what does NITP stand for?

Reply #540264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

National Intensive Training Program. But don't get attached to the name, it changes every other week, and for a 'national' program has a lot of different iterations across the states.

The primary benefit should be training against other outstanding players, but it depends on how sessions are structured as to whether or not that happens. If you're mostly doing 1v0, 2v0, or low intensity competitive drills, it's probably not the most effective use of your time.

Reply #540269 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@MRT to answer your specific questions I will keep it brief for you.

NITP will potentially give your kid the opportunity to be seen by Green & Gold pathway coaches.
NITP could get your kid to play at State or National level, once again to be seen by those coaches.
NITP will provide additional training, but the quality of training depends on the coaches in your area. Victorian Country varies much more than Metro for example.
NITP could be too much for your kid if you do not manage the work load, depending on the make up of that individual (super tall or flexible makes you a little more vulnerable to illness or injury).
Committing to NITP will require some sacrifice to get the most out of it.

Hope this helps you some, cheers...

Reply #540326 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, sorry MRT I didn't answer the 'Is it necessary question' because I am not sure what the necessity is that you are referring to!

Reply #540327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NITP is very important. It teaches the curriculum the national coaches ask for, has coaches that are helping identify talent for these programs.

It also give the best chance for the best kids in the state together to train together, making each other better.

If you don't go to NITP it is your choice but don't complain when you don't get selected for the National teams.

Reply #540329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NITP would be important IF the curriculum the National coaches wanted taught was uni-formally taught across the program. And if what these players are taught will be the same style that will be taught in 8-10 years when they become potential senior players.

It would be good if only the best kids in the state trained together with the best coaches. Unfortunately due to political influences it is used to assist clubs improve by helping their kids if they are unable to provide the level of coaching for their players, not to mention used to develop coaches who aren't up to standard.

And finally, if a player doesn't get selected for a National team because they aren't in the NITP, doesn't that show that these programs aren't all that they are cracked up to be and that selection for National teams is self serving rather than best practice?

Reply #540340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't complain? You must be new around here... ;)

Reply #540341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#540239 you must be joking. Have you gone and watched these sessions. I have never seen a more enthused bunch of coaches and the kids just find it a drain. I attended the "äwards ceremony" last year - all that happened was the coaches all said how thrilled they were it was over.

The pretense of having something like this seems great until you see how it unfolds and there is no substance. Tell me the last training plan written was of any value.

A smart IQ rep coach with passion would kill this program and the kids would get far greater reward.

Reply #540382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon^, you don't seem to get it, do you even know why the NITP exists or what its purpose is? Don't think you do, according to what you have posted.

Reply #540481 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

No

Reply #540498 | Report this post

Nike  
Years ago

It's not necessary! Simple. There has been a lot of talk for well over a year now regarding how the program was stacked due to political influence last year.

After watching the program week in and week out and seeing the season unfold. I can definitively say that I personally have seen 0% improvement from any of those who didn't make it on talent.

Conversely the Kids that have always dominated are still dominating. We played against one last weekend who didn't make NITP has always been a cut above and dominated again.

It's very disappointing. However the kids did love making lots of new friends.

Reply #541511 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

"I personally have seen 0% improvement from any of those who didn't make it on talent"

Hoops stupid statement of the day....

Reply #541515 | Report this post

Nike  
Years ago

"I personally have seen 0% improvement from any of those who didn't make it on talent"

Not really. I agree kids made it who are not getting any court time and just didn't improve.

But protection of the system is your thing.

Reply #541541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually, I agree with HO, I can't decipher your comment and I have read it 4 times now.

Reply #541609 | Report this post

Green 54  
Years ago

Basketball Australia obviously don't think it is worth it or they would not have pulled their funding.

Reply #546484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a stupid setup if kids with talent who don't do NITP get overlooked for State or national honors. Plenty of talented kids out there not in NITP program.

One U16 Vic Metro kid who got 40 minutes in this years National final never did an NITP session in his life. Now has been put in the program.

He got to his standard by doing individual sessions with his clubs Rep program's head coach. I have seen a number of kids taken out of club development programs gone into NITP and then gone backwards.

NITP is far from being the be all and end all and can contribute in some cases to players leaving the sport due to the demands it puts on players.

I don't think basketball is so strong it can be losing some of it's best players and talent to other sport due to onerous expectations from some "career coaches" who are never going to coach a really high level, but treat the kids like they will.

Reply #546596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trying to comprehend what you are saying anon^, and I come to a conclusion or this:

You believe it is better for a kid to do intensive training with his/her own club rep coach rather than doing intensive training with a network coach and other high level athletes!

Is this what your comment says?

Reply #546598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In SA the coaching standard outside of the lead coach at NITP sessions is very poor.

At some clubs their team session would be a higher standard than NITP sessions and have far greater coaching standards. Plus there has been only about 20 sessions this year with a large number of absenteeism and gaps between sessions.

Plus the teams have progression into game learning outcomes and players are actually fighting for spots which lifts training intensity.

People running NITP generally think that it is there to be everything and actually accomplishes on minor changes in athlete's.

Reply #546600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What state are you talking about ?

Reply #546601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is even in the SA NITP? Can anyone put a link up?

Reply #546604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #546598

It depends on the circumstances and the coach in charge of the network session. Depending on where you live impacts on what sessions you then get allocated to and the coach. In certain circumstance yes it can be more productive for a player to keep working with their club's programs coach, depending on that coaches experience and knowledge.

Also not every person in NITP is a high level athlete. I have seen some average kids get in not because of their talent but because they have a network coach involved at their club who pushes their cause.

So if a good kid gets placed in with a group like that, yes stick with the coach that got you to that level.

Obviously there are NITP coaches out there that are decent coaches, but there are also the megaphone types who just want to tell everybody how great they are and how they developed certain kids who were already that good when they entered the program.

Reply #546622 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

Great coaches
Amazing program
Awesome talent
Vic comeback

Reply #560339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So your kid made the cut because of your friends then!!!

Reply #560343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course not.

Reply #560355 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754