Anonymous
Years ago

New Television broadcast deal for the NBL

According to And the foul.net Facebook page.

Wonder who it's with?

Fox Sports?

Free to air?

How many games telecast per week?

Let the speculation begin

Topic #37614 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

We can confirm that NBL TV will cease as of today. This is due to the new TV deal. Something we cant get into as of yet
But stay positive. Its not a step back (from what we hear)

On Facebook:
As of today there is no more NBL TV. There will be a new TV deal announced very soon. We can't go into detail too much yet as it's no where near official and we dont want to set any false expectations. Feel free to speculate below though

Confirmed in comments that it appears to be a TV deal rather than just a streaming replacement for NBL.TV.

Reply #540370 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Getting rid of nbltv would suggest that its a pretty comprehensive deal, which is positive

Reply #540371 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

agreed with cram, surely foxsports!

Reply #540375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Online streaming is a must for the league, I hope it's not lost with this deal.

Reply #540378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If as expected it's Fox Sports I think you can forget about an nbl.tv equivalent being allowed to stream the Fox games.

Lets just hope the TV deal is for more than 2 games a week this time.

Reply #540380 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

NBL.TV being scrapped should mean that we have a substantial deal as mentioned. I would definitely lean towards it being with Fox Sports. Really can't complain with that. They will give us a better deal than Ten did. It isnt a bad place to start. The NBL will get FTA when it deserves FTA.

Reply #540385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lets just hope the TV deal is for more than 2 games a week this time."

Yeah thats my concern a game on Wednesday and a game on Thursday.

Let's sincerely hope not

Reply #540386 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

foxsports has 5 channels im sure they will broadcast all the games if its them!

Reply #540387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"foxsports has 5 channels im sure they will broadcast all the games if its them!"

That's wishful thinking hut I hope you are right

Reply #540391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not all get too carried away here.

Remember LK said only about a week ago that to produce EVERY game would cost about $5 million per season and admitted that it was a huge investment.

I will be very interested to see how many games are telecast per week

Reply #540393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL. As usual, 'ATF' is full of crap. Knows absolutely nothing about any potential broadcast deal and is simply making an assumption that since Perform closed down then there must be something just over the horizon. So that when it happens he can throw his hands up and say "see, told you there was a deal coming!!"

Reply #540394 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Getting rid of nbltv would suggest that its a pretty comprehensive deal, which is positive

Well, unless you take the NBL history of bending over for broadcasters because they were desperate into account...

I'll remain hopeful but suspicious until something is announced...

Reply #540395 | Report this post

The league went great the last time Foxtel was in charge with their "big wednesday" games!!

/s

Reply #540396 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Happy to pay $88 per year or whatever for a subpar NBL.tv service, but have no interest whatsoever in spending approx $720 per year for probably less games (even if at a better quality) on Foxtel.

I will probably end up glued to the NBL live scoreboard (when it works) with Netflix playing in the background.

Reply #540397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it ends up being every game on Foxtel I'll seriously have to think about getting it again as much as I don't want to but if only 2-3 games a week I'll go with 'unofficial' online streams.

Reply #540400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are we sure this is a new "Television deal" not just a new streaming service to replace NBL.tv?

Reply #540401 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

You can pick up Foxtel Play through Xbox/PS4/IPad etc for about $50 incl all sports channels no contract or setup. NBL runs for 5 months, so looking at $250 to watch a season of NBL. I personally wouldn't have problem paying that providing there is a decent amount of games broadcast live every week. Might be outside of a lot of people's budgets though.

I doubt I would get it if there are 2 games a week shown.

Reply #540403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dropping NBL.TV for a game or 2 a week on Fox would be a step back for me. (hoops junkie that at the very least wants to watch the 4th quarter of every non blow out). Streaming needs to at least be available through the betting websites.

I think LK should be pushing to make moves to increase betting turnover. I believe he was involved in bet247 back in the day before it was sold to Tom Waterhouse.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-set-to-land-30-million-windfall-from-new-turnover-deal-with-betting-agencies-20150515-gh2naz.html

Betting turnover is a good indication of how popular a sport is, and the AFL has the highest turnover on Thursday games and the NRL has the highest turnover on their Monday night games. So the NBL midweek games will help with this.

NBA betting is more popular then you would expect in Australia and if you get some of those nba betting fans betting on the NBL then they would watch the games. LK could work with the betting agencies to partly fund money back offers on NBL multi bets, etc. That plus streaming or the games being shown on TV would help and in time the NBL could sign a similar percentage of profit model the the NRL has signed.

Reply #540405 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Now that NBL TV is gone I can probably say this on here. I only ever paid for NBL TV for one month, after that I could still access full content through my iPad but was never charged any further fees. This only worked for my iPad, if I tried to log in through a PC or my iPhone it would say I need to subscribe. So basically nearly 2 years of the service for free.

I saw someone else comment on Facebook that they had something similar happen. Did anyone else experience the same ?

Reply #540407 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, had the same happen on my iPad, though I had paid for the first year before cancelling the year after. Something like that anyway.

Reply #540412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I Foxtel get it lets hope it's a good product.
I originally purchases Foxtel over 10 years ago because it offered NBL and I desperately wanted to see it.
I had the IQ box to go with it and they offered an interactive service ie various camera angles, split screens etc. It didn't last long ( if it all) and here we are 10 years later back at square one.

Reply #540418 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Train...you and the other guy on Facebook are the only two humans on this Earth that paid NBL.TV what it was worth.

Reply #540419 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:21 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754