CatChat
Years ago

Things the Wildcats (+ other clubs) could improve

Below are a few things I would like to see the Wildcats implement or improve on this coming season. Perhaps most fans (or casual basketball observers) wouldn't notice or care about these, but they are things that frustrate me and could easily be changed. What do others think? Are there small things you would like to see your team fix or alter?

- Uniforms: it looks like major sponsor 'Alcohol Think Again’ is back on board this season (must have extended their expiring 3 year deal) - given their logo sits on a big black box/bumper sticker it has never looked that great on the red Wildcats’ uniforms. I would like to see the Wildcats integrate this in a more appropriate way, ideally it would be a small size that sits to the right or left chest (i.e. where the NBL or ECU logo is currently) and the Wildcats name/logo be the focus of the singlet, but this is unlikely. Why don’t the Wildcats use a graphic device similar to the old Seattle Supersonics jersey and have the black box extend and curve down to form black strips that run down the side of the uniform? Or seek permission to alter the Alcohol Think Again logo and have white lettering sit on the red of the singlet (rather than the black box background). If uniform design and sponsor integration were improved across the NBL uniforms would look more professional (more NBA like) and perhaps merchandise sales would increase?

- Names and numbers on uniforms - make these easier to read and more identifiable on TV and from a distance. Even if the Wildcats’ numbers and names were white with black outlines (rather than the opposite) this would improve readability. Whilst I know who the players are without names or numbers perhaps this would help casual fans get to know players a bit better?

- Court design – this is something the NBA does brilliantly, just look at Cleveland or Charlotte’s courts for example. Given the Wildcats (or other clubs) don’t own their venue or courts this may be tricky, but wouldn’t the Perth Arena court look a lot better if red decals ran around the edge of the court, different sections of the court (e.g. Inside the 3 point circle) are stained/varnished in a different shade (not sure what the technical name is for this), or a Perth City skyline graphic featured on the edge of the court (e.g. Cleveland)? Or even if the court simply featured a Wildcats logos in the centre circle or inside the three point line so it is actually identifiable as the Wildcats' court?

-Alternate uniforms – this has slowly started to creep into the NBL when white away uniforms were gotten rid of, but I would like to see the Wildcats have a black alternate uniform for away games (and the occasional home game) or even bring back the grey away uniform from the mid 90’s. Is it just me or were uniforms better/more creative in the 90’s than they are now? ISC was an improvement on AND1 and I assume they will be the provider again this season.

-Last one, given Ten/One no longer has the rights, bring back Lachy Reid as court side announcer!!

Maybe it is just me that notices these things, but perhaps there are other NBL fans out there that notice these branding/design elements? Let me know your thoughts!

Topic #37642 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as they keep winning no one cares what their uniforms look like

Reply #541157 | Report this post

CatChat  
Years ago

I definitely agree that winning is the main thing and these are very minor cosmetic things. But given how professional the Wildcats have become these are easy things to improve.

Reply #541159 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Its very important what the uniforms and courts look like.

Reply #541161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you sure health way is the major sponsor again? Wasn't there a big scandal last year about the misuse of taxpayer money by them?

Anyway i would imagine that part of any sponsorship deal would be to display the logo in a prominent position. They are quite likely stuck with it the way it is

Reply #541162 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Agree about the bumper sticker logos. We can't get rid of sponsors on jerseys in the NBL, but they can be integrated better. No black bumper stickers please.

Lachie is rumoured to be returning.

The court can also be improved.

A lot of these areas are overlooked by bball fans because they don't care - they like bball for bball, regardless of how it's presented. But to make the league and game appealing to a wide cross section of fans these areas need attention to detail and improvement.

Reply #541166 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Don't the Wildcats keep the sidelines of the court 'decal free' for sponsorship opportunities?

Personally, I quite like the minimal amount of stickers, but do understand a lot of fans would rather see more red on the court.

Reply #541170 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I would love to see a black uniform based on the 1995 Home uniform. They wore them during heritage round and looked awesome.

Hoping the rumors of Lachy Reid returning as court side announcer are true. No one has come close to his standards since he left.

Reply #541171 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Neil Barnard was quite good. Hope its a joint court announcing gig between Lachie and Neil.

Reply #541173 | Report this post

CatChat  
Years ago

I assume the Healthway/Alcohol Think Again sponsorship has been renewed given the logo is still appearing on the website, membership materials, media backdrops etc.

Reply #541176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if it'll change after the re-launch

Reply #541181 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

The decals on the floor space (baseline and maybe sideline) go for $150k per-season.

They keep them free for that.

I'd like to see the hardwood around the court be red if no sponsors want to pay that much.

Reply #541183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$150K for floor signage is about 1/2 a naming rights sponsorship. What a rip off.

Reply #541186 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Agreed. I think it would look a lot better, and I also reckon it would reduce the incidence of players stepping out of bounds, which seems to happen a lot at PA due to the expansive side areas.

Reply #541187 | Report this post

Hey,

Are you guys on *? As long as the * goes through the hoops, who cares how big the logo is?

Wildcatsrule

Reply #541191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure you'll get your wish for Black away uniforms

Reply #541202 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Never gave the grey uniform any thought but everything else has been discussed previously but with so little done it feels like we've wasted our time bringing it up.

The numbers changing could be interesting and I agree about the red on the sidelines atleast until a sponsor is found.

I'd love to have a deviation in coloring between the jump shot and outside the 3 point range. It wouldn't just look good but it would encourage other courts in Australia to do it and if we can get the North Shore Events Centre to make alterations then our eyes won't hurt watching games played there!

On a lighter note I'd love more ice cream and drink sellers in amongst the crowd as I only seen them at a few games last season

Reply #541264 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I agree presentation is very important. Team uniforms, the playing arena, the cheerleaders, even the floor wipers all need to look professional.

In recent years, in the interest of reducing cost ( I assume) all teams have worn a generic uniform, which was a bit boring.

I liked the idea of the home uniform bearing the team nick name and the away uniform bearing the name of the city their represent, but didn't like the visiting team always wearing white.

AS said by others - the court presentation is a bit more difficult when the venue doesn't belong to the team but is a multipurpose venue.

Reply #541308 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:31 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754