Anonymous
Years ago

Latest on NBL Television deal

From the Sydney Morning Herald:

"The next challenge for the NBL is to secure a broadcast deal and Loeliger said discussions were ongoing with several potential partners in both television and online streaming.
Fox Sports is believed to have shown strong interest in showing some games while some online production companies are also interested.
Ideally the NBL would love to be on Fox Sports and stream other games online but it may be difficult to fit two partners together.
"It's a bit of a Pandora's box in terms of whether we go with something that suits the league in the short term or if we go to something with a longer vision that turns its mind to how people will be consuming sport five years from now," Loeliger said.
"Ideally we would like a combination of the two but there are commercial factors to play out there. It's all a bit speculative but we have some really interesting irons in the fire."

So it sounds like we may get "some" games on Fox Sports.

I was hoping for "All" games. But this doesn't surprise me.

Topic #37655 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

That bit about online streaming being the way of the future is true but a very optimistic way to now be painting the situation. I'd prefer streaming over Fox (I won't pay for Fox), but sponsors will want them to be whether the biggest crowd is.

Reply #541646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL must be wrong. ATF said deal was done?

Reply #541648 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

ATF never said it was done in fact they said it war far from being done. But that they had some thing in the works

Reply #541649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox Sports usually won't allow any of 'their' games to be streamed on another platform so maybe that is holding things up. I doubt the NBL want all 5 games each week on Fox because it would then mean no potential revenue stream with nbl.tv but then if say Fox show 2 games a week might only leave 3 'lesser' games for nbl.tv and people might not want to pay that much for say 3 games a week as opposed to previously being able to get every game if even on delay.

Reply #541650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The revenue stream would be much bigger by sponsors if all games were on fox, as opposed to the small revenue stream by streaming buyers

Reply #541652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm going on the assumption Fox probably aren't going to be paying TV rights at least for this season. They would know there isn't much competition from rival networks so no $600k per year like Ten were paying.

I remember in the last year on Fox last time not only did they get rid of Casey and give us AFL commentators (who were a bit clueless about the game but essentially a glorified advert for Fox's AFL coverage) but they only paid the NBL $200k for that final season knowing the NBL were desperate. I think they even waited until about 5-6 weeks into the season before they started to televise games too.

I know the lack of respect Fox have shown the NBL over the years especially in that final season and wish the league had nothing to do with them ever again but understand if FTA networks aren't interested they pretty much have to go cap in hand back to Murdoch.

Reply #541654 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I wonder if they have agreed in principal with Fox but they aren't agreeing that NBL wants to replay games shown on Fox back on the streaming service, days after the game finished.

Surely the NBL would want to expose ALL games to their loyal fans if there is a possibility of it happening.

I hope we get it

Reply #541724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like they are far from securing a TV deal.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/29206174/new-tv-deal-next-on-nbl-bucket-list/

Reply #541779 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Won't pay for Foxtel.

I did pay for nbl tv. Prefer a streaming option. Would be happy if I had to nominate a single team for streaming, at the right price. This may help get the deal done with Foxtel. When NBL was on Foxtel I did not seee any replays except on the news.

Reply #541980 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754