expat
Years ago

COTY - Men's Premier League

Interested to hear what people's thoughts on Coach of the Year are at the end of the regular season? There's definitely a few who could lay claim to the title for the 2015 season.

Suggested considerations for selection of COTY nominees; quality of the squads at their disposal, recruiting effectiveness, injuries/adversity suffered and improvement year on year.

I'll start the voting off with my heavily biased nod for the Rockets coaching team (well for Hawkes really but I'm told Mr Denton could be a tad precious if not given some recognition).

Rockets went 13-9 after 3-15 season in 2014 (42% improvement in win %). Picked a diamond stud import on a cubic zirconia budget in Aric (who went 38-8-8-6 last week). Had some injury adversity when their rapidly developing 5 man went down with a foot injury mid season, although admittedly, it fortunately wasn't season ending and he's tearing up the middle (and the refs) again coming in to the playoffs. They secured 4th and home court this weekend against the elimination opponent, Sturt, last week with the very same group as 2014, minus Pero and adding Aric (who, did I mention, went 38-8-8-6 against Sturt last week - that's 6 steals in case you haven't read this;

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1365603471530&sID=39560&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=35534403

Let the COTY voting begin!

Leaderboard so far:

Hawks (and Denton) - 1

Topic #37659 | Report this topic

COTY  
Years ago

Lets vote after the GF. Whilst finishing 4th is nice, its also not where the real coaching is done.

We will see the COTY emerge over August.

There are many COTY's without championships !

Reply #541706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These are awarded before the GF

Reply #541710 | Report this post

COTY  
Years ago

Exactly my point...They shouldn't be as the finals determines so much..

Reply #541716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like whoo spends the most, who inherits the best team, who is mates with the NBL players that might want to play in the off season etc etc.
Determining who is COTY based on winning GF's is like picking greatest players based on championships won. Flawed in the extreme

Reply #541747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawkes/Denton has to be right up there given what they have achieved with the shoestring budget playing list and developing and getting the best out of the bench. Even when their big went down they won all three games while out including wins over Norwood and Forestville.

Good coaching appointments at North both on men and women's side - passionate life members!!

Reply #541756 | Report this post

COTY  
Years ago

Yeah no one judges Jackson, Riley or Wooden on their Championships.

They are all judged on how they went at the end of the minor rounds.

We all remember those minor round records and placings don't we.

Flawed doesn't even scratch the surface.

Reply #541841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

COTY you seem confused.

Of course those coaches are highly regarded because of their championships.

This is not about that though. This is about recognising coaches who have done a great job THROUGHOUT the year.

You're confusing two different issues.

Have a look at the list of NBA Coaches of the year. Most of them did not win a championship in the year they won, if at all.

Reply #541843 | Report this post

Commonsense  
Years ago

Surely you would expect it to come from Top 3 teams in such a competitive season.
If North drop out tomorrow night, they have 'effectively' finished 5th.

Reply #541855 | Report this post

Commonsense  
Years ago

Surely you would expect it to come from Top 3 teams in such a competitive season.
If North drop out tomorrow night, they have 'effectively' finished 5th.

Reply #541856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah and if their coach has done the best job with the players and resources available to him, he deserves COTY.

Easy isn't it

Reply #541903 | Report this post

OFTHEYEAR  
Years ago

North might get a look in based on it's improvement, however, that's all that it should get....

Reply #541940 | Report this post

COTY  
Years ago

I rest my case.

Sturt 80 North 78.

Reply #542049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

COTY, what case would that be? The more you post the less relevant your posts are becoming. You still come across as confused about what the COTY award is for.

Keep reading up champ, and hopefully you'll get it soon.

Reply #542050 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

Umm, COTY. The award is Coach of the Year, not Coach of the game on Saturday August 8th. A 2 point loss in a final shouldn't tarnish the work done for the YEAR

Reply #542054 | Report this post

COTY  
Years ago

No it doesn't tarnish a great year by North and Nathan.

It just means there will ultimately be a coach that has a better year, that's all.

Reply #542055 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

The award isn't necessarily for the coach that wins the championship. He gets a premiership trophy for that. The award will usually go to who's done the best job with what he's got or even someone who turns a poor finish last year into a finals run this.... Why am I bothering, I just don't think you get it

Reply #542060 | Report this post

Rock-Me-Armadelly  
Years ago

Luke Walton rings: 2
Steve Nash rings: 0

Who would you prefer? Don't count championships as the be all and end all.

Reply #542062 | Report this post

COTY  
Years ago

No I get it, I just don't agree with you. That's ok though isn't it, to have a different opinion.

I reckon the coach who wins it has generally done the best job, that's all, not the coach who finishes 4th or 5th.

Reply #542063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But if the coach who came 4th or 5th came last in the previous season, wouldn't you think they deserve a look in over a back to back championship winning coach? Not saying that's what's happened but you can't instantly say the winning coach is the best

Reply #542065 | Report this post

COTY  
Years ago

No I wouldn't. I would go with the back to back coach every time.

Reply #542066 | Report this post

COTY  
Years ago

"Don't count championships as the be all and end all. "

WTF, not sure what else your playing the game for ..

I guess you support participation ribbons as well !

Reply #542068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if the lakers somehow transferred into the premier league and won every game by 300 points, their coach would win coach of the year over the coach of the team who finished last last season and lost the grand final this season?

Reply #542071 | Report this post

COTY  
Years ago

Yeah I'd vote for them so we got to watch Kobe every week for $6 at Hillcrest.

Reply #542073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know how voting for the coach means you can watch a player but ok.

People actually pay to watch games?

Reply #542075 | Report this post

COTY  
Years ago

well it was to be as ridiculous as the comment before it, that's all.

Reply #542076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's late, you're tired, I get it.

Reply #542077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher for SA GOAT!

Reply #542079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TIL there is actually someone who would choose Luke Walton over Steve Nash

Reply #542100 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:15 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754