BM13
Years ago

NBL training players 2015-16

As a big fan of all levels of Australian basketball I was just interested in finding out who is training with the NBL teams to get experience from colleges/state leagues

Being a Perth fan I was watching the pre-season vids and spotted some SBL players.

WILDCATS
Josh Throns- Stirling
Rhys Vague- East Perth
Sam Alabakis- Perry Lakes
Jordan Wellsteed- Wanneroo
Lewis Thomas- College
2 other young guys I don't recognise. One wearing #12.

ADELAIDE
From an article I read recently.
"Wright rounded out his group with roster hopefuls Daniel Carlin, Sam Johns, Adam Doyle, Nelson Larkins, Atem Atem, Mawut Deng and Tyson Hoffman."

Any other teams that have players doing pre season with them?

Do we think its time to have some sort of NBL D-League during the NBL season? It could only improve the standard of players coming through as the top of the talent triangle usually goes to college or directly to NBL.

Topic #37681 | Report this topic

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

A D-League would be great but the NBL simply doesn't have the money to make one. Plus we need more teams before we make another league

Reply #542310 | Report this post

BM13  
Years ago

I agree about the money, maybe they could have a few Blitz style tournament rounds over the season. A development league could be a trial for new markets for eg. A Brisbane or Tasmanian team could be in the d-league for say 3 years to gather interest for a future team? Much like Gold Coast or GWS in the AFL.

I know its a bit pie in the sky stuff but with new investment in the league it could be a possibility in the future.

Reply #542323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Sam Johns was already training with the 36's as a development player

Reply #542341 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting topic, I would be keen to see who in on every team's list once the season begins.

A 'D' League is also an interesting idea, maybe we don't have the money around to do this yet but playing as a curtain raiser may reduce costs and could be something the NBL could do down the track>..

Reply #542345 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

In the crocs offseason updates they make mention of the following Devel players...

Tom Howard
Chris Kann
TJ Diop
Claybrin McMath
Ben Dixon

Reply #542355 | Report this post

BM13  
Years ago

Thanks

With the new website and supposed more in depth player stats etc it would be good to get a complete list of all development/training players for each team included.

An NBL d-league could look something like this:

Under 25 rule with two restricted overage players.
The current 8 NBL teams with a team each plus possible markets like Newcastle, Tasmania, SE Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra (Centre of Excellence) or you could even invite SEABL or NZNBL teams to be a part of the league in their off season.
Assistant coaches of NBL teams to be the head coaches of the D-League team.
NBL teams have a reserve of players to cover injuries etc as the number of teams/games increases

The players would play for much of the same reason as they do in SEABL and state leagues: for the love of the game and to get noticed for further opportunities as the league expands.

Reply #542359 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:18 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754