40th Street Black
Years ago

Eagles by a Bee's

Eagles defeated the Warriors by 1 point, 91 - 90 on a lay up with .0000000001 of a second to go.

Amazing game with both teams getting good leads but unable to get away.

Eagles started impressively and were up by over 15 in the first quarter, Warriors were very tenative and played like white guys dancing to R n B, absolutely no rhythm.

Cam Wilson started to two step and 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter the Warriors were doing the running man, exploding from defense and fast breaking their way back into the game.

Dix played his usual solid game but it was the supporting cast that got the Eagles the W.

Dougie Mac played larger than his usual self. Matthew Gange kept them in the game in the last quarter when it could easily have blown out. Jason Farman was solid all night.

The Sullivan Vs Wilson match up was a classic, Wilson having more influense and better stats but it was Sully hitting the game winner while Wilson was on the bench, fouled out with 5 to go.
The last foul by Wilson was a very poor call.
The loss of Wilson hurt the Warriors, his leadership would have carried them thru as they were up by 8. Unfortunately it wasn't the only bad call over the last 5 minutes and the officiating over the last 10 seconds will be debated for many years to come.
Warriors had the ball with the shot clock running down, the ball was knocked loose and several players grabbed for the ball, it was loose on the ground, after several dives it was stacks on the mill with a jump ball and the Warriors with the possesion arrow.
Should the shot clock have been reset?
Score bench said no, Warriors had to inbound with 3 seconds on the shot clock and 10 seconds to go in the game. A pass to Puddifoot under the hoop with enormous pressure had him airball(violation and side ball?). Eagles grabbed the airball and with 6 seconds to score had to go the length of the court and score to win.
Matt Sutton with the ball was flying down the sideline, he hit a double team at mid court and spun out of control, landing face down on the floor with the ball. He pivoted his body(travel!) and made the pass to Sully who laid it up with a .00000001 to go.

one crazy game and the Warriors would feel hard done by. Yes they should have closed the game out better but the Eagles supporting cast played great and they were helped by some questionable. officiating.

Topic #3770 | Report this topic

Farviewer  
Years ago

OMG!! You obviously never read this forum before. Left cork out of the bottle and now have sour wine?? Perhaps you should read the following thread as it sounds quite blatant what you are insinuating...........

In Local..
Think before you ref-bash
Isaac, Mon, 25 Jul - Reads: 667 27 replies
Latest: Jul 28

Went to this game tonight, and as far as I could tell BOTH teams had the same two Officials. It was in the most an enthralling struggle by the players.

Reply #43958 | Report this post

40th Street Black  
Years ago

Junior games and junior umpires to me are off limits.

The highest level of basketball being played in this state and in a Preliminary final I would expect the umpiring to be a Tad (Duffelmier) better.
Hey dude, I agree a great game was played but I'm not going to cushion a senior umpire, he needs to know.

How many travels did they miss Farviewer? Or were you too Faraway?

Reply #43959 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

As many as the fouls missed..... enough for a few overseas trips and new chicken coops!
:p

Reply #43962 | Report this post

U.T.B.N.B  
Years ago

The refs may or may not have got the call wrong to the end of the game but it was a pretty consistent effort by them all night and called relatively well. Calls were missed for both teams, if Woodville had of won by one they wouldnt have said a thing about the refs...

Reply #43964 | Report this post

Random!  
Years ago

yeah but the eagles may have .....

Reply #43981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shot clock

if a team has control of the ball and a jump ball is called and the team with control of the ball has the possession arrow the shot clock DOES NOT reset.

if a team who does not have control of the ball gets the possession arrow they get a new shot clock

the scoretable was correct

Reply #43988 | Report this post

Humphrey B Ware  
Years ago

The instance last night was that no one had control of the ball and then there was a jump ball.

Clock should have been reset.

Reply #43993 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

If you want to get technical, when the ball hit the ground, the refs missed the fact that one of the woodville players sat on a Forestville players head....no foul. I think both teams got some tough calls throughout the game, eg Sully getting decked on a fast break...no call, Wilsons 6th foul, block or charge, or no call perhaps, did sutton travel at end of the game? or was he fouled? refs thought neither.

it was a cracker of a game. Well done forestville, bad luck woodville.

One thing that I wasn't sure about was the fact that Sully got fouled on that lay up to win the game, but why was there no line up for the free throw? If there was a foul called surely there must be some time left, all be it 0.2 of a second, surely the players should still line up and woodville a chance for a split second heave at the ring, or was there that little time lft that it wasn't worth it?

Reply #43996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But if warriors had it and the ball was knocked loose if Woodville had regained it there would not have been a reset of shot clock as Forestville did not gain control. Therefore in this instance it's the same, jump ball called and woodville keep possesion, shot clock not reset.

Reply #43997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

exactly a team does not lose control of the ball even if it is knocked loose

Until the other team gains control the team in control still has it

can't see the problem maybe coaching staff of woodville may like to revisit their rule knowledge

Reply #44000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphrey B Ware, just how did it happen that no team had control of the ball

the shot clock starts when a team has control of the ball, it only gets reset when the other team gains control, not on a deflection, it has to be controlled.

if there was no foul called which would result in a reset (double fouls no reset) the umpire called a foot violation and asked for a reset.

the shot clock had to be running if it was running the team who had control of the ball is still deemed to be in possession of it.

so just how can you say nobody had possession of the ball it doesn't seem possible.

Reply #44002 | Report this post

de bas  
Years ago

interested... reaction time. the scorebench can not possibly stop the clock as soon as the whistle goes. it is just like the old damon lowery decision. even if there was 0.2 of a second left, you need 0.3 for it to be physically possible to get a shot off. btw, no travel by sutton... i was just wondering how on earth he found sully with all the commotion going on. unbelievable game. i hope woodville beat sturt so we can have a rematch.

Reply #44019 | Report this post

Undersized PF  
Years ago

the refering was good all night up until the last min or so. cam got the very questionable blocking foul, which got him out of the game.

I think it was correct ruling that the shot clock not be reset, woodville never lost posession.

but to me the biggest mistake was when the ball fell loose and there was a scrap , sutton dived on the loose ball however the ball fell under his body and he continued to roll over the ball. it was a travel, and should have been called.

KB after the game approached the referee and signalled to him thats two times now, due to the contraversial nature of the last game

Reply #44064 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Here's some soul grapes for you...I for one, plus a few other South player's couldn't be happier with the result, Woodville losing on the buzzer...There is a Basketball God!

Reply #44107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is that, Panther?

Reply #44108 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #44109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you shouldn't encourage him Isaac !! lol

Reply #44113 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

enjoy those grapes panther. your gonna be eating a lot of em since south had an early departure from the ABL competition.

enjoy the finals south fans

Reply #44144 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754