RMQ
Years ago

Wilson to be official ball supplier for NBL

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/nbl-and-wilson-sporting-goods-co-enter-three-year-partnership/

Personally I prefer Spalding. Molten's were OK. Haven't used a high end Wilson ball in a while.

Topic #37709 | Report this topic

Anonz  
Years ago

This looks like good news. I'd always liked a Wilson ball, much better than these Molten things.

Hopefully this will translate down to Rep as well.

Good news, well done NBL, and it's been a long time since I've said that.

Reply #543132 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I hated the Spaldings, still do. The Moltens were much better IMO.

Reply #543133 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am glad for the change. While many will say it is a small grievance, I found the tan and white ball to be simply ugly. It looked like something you would see in a school gym, and certainly not in a professional basketball league that takes itself seriously. I will support the move by buying the ball. It is good to see them clean up some of the cosmetic issues, lets see how it comes together on TV and at the stadiums.

Reply #543134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Puts mint in mouth'..

Good one Wilson!!!

Reply #543135 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Yuck. Stick with Spalding, and if the ABL style ball is the issue then just don't have different colours.

Reply #543136 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBL's logo includes a basketball with different coloured panels. Not sure if that implies anything but I assumed it did when I saw it.

Reply #543139 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Tom Hanks would approve

Reply #543141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson in cast away is a volleyball...

Reply #543143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wah it didn't look good"

Well shit, the fact it performed better across the board counts for nothing doesn't it

Reply #543150 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Performed better across the board? Like, how? Give us the facts on this rather than vaguely saying "performed better across the board". It certainly wouldn't have sold well. It certainly didn't look good. Are you talking about grip? Bounce? Aerodynamics? Ugly is ugly, and a TV product should not be ugly

Reply #543157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White and Tan is not a brand thing..Wilson can still be white and tan or fluro pink and green or...

Reply #543171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have seen the jerseys haven't you GWB. And you're complaining that THE BALL looks bad. Wow

Reply #543172 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I didn't mind the ball of past seasons.

Reply #543176 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

"You have seen the jerseys haven't you GWB. And you're complaining that THE BALL looks bad. Wow"

I have complained about the jerseys countless times, and the courts. There hasn't been an NBL jersey that I have liked in a couple of years, but I am talking about the conversation at hand - which is about the ball, so it shouldn't surprise that my comments pertain to the ball.

Reply #543183 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

While we are quickly talking jerseys, I think the sixers should go back to a darker blue.

Reply #543194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they should all be wearing something that doesn't look like it's come straight from an IDM Sports catalogue with 15 sponsor logos stuck on

Reply #543196 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well maybe with luck we will be surprised with a new apparel deal. I know last years jerseys were basically an emergency save once And 1 deal was over. Dreaming of a day where Adidas or Nike take over

Reply #543199 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

a good spalding ball is beyond better than any other ball on the market... never had a molten last more than 2-3 years, but have seen spaldings go for a decade... but hey, the NBL choice of colour scheme means we should swap brand completely... nice one GWB. face to palm

Reply #543230 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

You compare a spalding to a molten and act like it is relevant when we are talking about wilson balls.

face to palm

I never said we absolutely had to change brands, but to look like a professional basketball league the look of the ball is something that had to change. It looks like something you would see in a Grade 6 P.E class, not in front of 12'000 people at Perth Arena.

Yes, it is a small thing, but a lot of small things add up: Ball, jerseys, logo, courts, they all add to professionalism and the public's perception of the league. I am not sure why people seem against the league actually looking better when it is an entertainment and TV product.

Reply #543232 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Because everyone is saying they would rather those brands. That's why... And also because we know Wilson is horrible.

So ABL wasn't professional back in the day? People love the ball they had. Did you complain about the molten balls having those crazy designs that are not the same as the original product? Because by your understanding they would be unprofessional too.

Reply #543233 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I spotted the same thing Isaac, seems bizarre to make the ball so much a feature of a new logo only to change the complete look of the ball.

It's good to see changes to make the product more easy on the eye

Reply #543236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop worrying that of all things it's the ball making the league unprofessional. The quality of basketball is what is making the league unprofessional

Reply #543237 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Want a relationship with the NBA ? Go Molten ! Bad deal... chasing money can backfire. Pro international players are fussy about their balls !!!!

Reply #543239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA uses spaldings...

Reply #543243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jamar?

Reply #543244 | Report this post

I don't pay much attention to the ball so I can't rate it as a major improvement.

Question though GWB. You like the new NBL logo but don't like the old ball, which looks like the new logo. What's the difference?

Reply #543252 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Best NBL singlets were the South Dragons, none better since.

Reply #543255 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, Wilson ball is fine, brings in the cash I am for it...

Reply #543256 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Supernintendo, what looks decent as a logo doesn't always look good on a ball. The logo is a kind of artistic design which can afford to be abstract, or an abstract representation of a basketball or anything else. I separate the two fairly easily because I look at the logo and like it, and I look at the ball and think it looks cheap and nasty.

Reply #543262 | Report this post

Fair enough.

Reply #543286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Wilson has taken away the rights then there is a valid reason $$$. 3 years for which the LKG is there. Nuff said and if RMQ hasn't had a high end Wilson basketball in a while then I guess we know the reason why.

Reply #543462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson solution is the best ball I have ever owned or played with......if the Nbl haas a similar ball to this it will be great. Better than the equivalent Spaulding

Reply #543568 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

The Wilson solution is the one we are getting.

Reply #544534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this mean SA's Premier League will also be using Wilson next year?

Reply #545833 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

I just checked out the new game ball at my local retailer. $99.99, NBL Wilson Solution Game Ball, $69.99 for the same ball without the NBL logo!

Reply #561861 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:02 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754