Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers v NZ 141k viewers on GEM

Is this a reasonable ratings figure?

Is it enough for GEM to telecast game 2 in New Zealand on Tuesday?

Topic #37724 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

I am trying to figure out if it is decent ratings myself. I know it didn't rate in the top 20 shows of the night (I suppose watching people cook things we will never eat is more entertaining?), but considering the time slot and competition I really don't know.

What I do know is it is double the highest rating NBL game of last year (which was around 70'000).

When you consider that many people kept asking "what channel is the game on?" and "when is it on?" one can assume that many people were interested in seeing it, but for whatever reason didn't, and that there weren't really many TV adds. It is probably solid viewer numbers with all things considered.

Will it be enough to get us a game two? I think that depends on whether Channel nine have to produce the content or not. If they just need to bum the content from SKY NZ, than it really must be enough. I mean, all GEM show is usually some forgotten about movie from the 40's.

Reply #543763 | Report this post

SWISH  
Years ago

Only saw 1 promotional add on Gem in the week leading up to it. Very low key on Nines news service all week, so they didn't through money at it.
It was competing with AFL and Rugby international, both of which were well promoted.

Also trying to get people to watch the Women and then the men might be a bit much. I don't think they even try that with soccer.

As a spectacle the women's game was pretty flat. About 5 Aussie superstars weren't playing. The standard wasn't great. Poor shooting and not too much going on.
The men's game promised more and thankfully Patty Mills played like he should. Webster was great for NZ and Delly's defence is great to watch. But not much above the rim action to hook the channel surfers in.

Reply #543776 | Report this post

Sitiveni  
Years ago

As someone thats been involved in this aspect of television before. I reckon BA would be happy with those ratings and I reckon 9 would be happy to have those ratings on GEM.

Reply #543804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the game be showing tonight or on Foxtel?

Reply #543806 | Report this post

Schen  
Years ago

I just want to know would they broadcast Game 2 or not? It's annoying. :(

Reply #543871 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

The only reason why Nine got the rights is because of Nine Live but now that Nine sold it off they are no longer together. Nine had the exclusive rights

Reply #543872 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

All evidence says they aren't showing it. They certainly aren't showing tonight's women's game.

Reply #543876 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Can watch the mens and womens games live on livebasketball.tv apparently

Reply #543878 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Yes, but I thought you had to pay and subscribe to that service?

Reply #543879 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

yeah I had a look but I think some games are free. If you go on there the full games are available for the replays of Saturdays games for free

Reply #543881 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Actually, Maybe not...

Reply #543883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not ask BA?

Reply #543884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oops no luck there
http://www.basketball.net.au/national-teams/boomers/

Reply #543885 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

People have. it is on the website I posted but as GWB said, you gotta pay 10 bucks a month for it

Reply #543886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like the men's game will be streamed on bet365 for those with an account.

Reply #543892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I checked BA Facebook site and it says tonight's game will be streamed on www.livebasketball.tv

Reply #543896 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Australia vs NZ in an Olympic qualifier with most of our NBA talent, and it's not televised... ridiculous.

Reply #543899 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Women's and Men's games both on Sky Sports 4 in NZ, so that's another option if anyone can find a stream...

Reply #543900 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

The Gilmore Girls is the show that is so important that it can't wait a day for Live Sport.

Reply #543901 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I just looked on livebasketball.net - there is nothing about the upcoming boomers or opals games anywhere on the page. It isn't listed as an upcoming game

Reply #543904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA have linked to that site for a stream of tonight's Opals game though.

Just over 24 hours until the Boomers game so doesn't look like Gem will be showing it now.

Reply #543907 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Hopefully we get a decent free stream for it then. I can't believe 141K viewers wasn't enough to get it over the line.

Reply #543910 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

For those in the know do I just need to drop $20 into Bet365 to set up an account?

I think some one posted once that their streams are better quality than the illegal ones.

Reply #543914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I signed up to bet365 or something like that last year with the intention of watching their nbl.tv stream but it wouldn't work for me only to be told by someone on here you need to put at least $20 into your betting account to be able to access their live streams.

Reply #543920 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I didn't hold out much hope after they said on the Nine news at 6 what sounded suspiciously like that the return game was on Wednesday night.

If they can't get that fact right then it shows how unimportant they think it is. Probably just taking a gamble in the hope of riding the wave of interest, but with little real sense of commitment to the game for the game's sake.

Still the one ... For AFL and b..all else.

Dammit. Back to cable again.

Reply #543923 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

You would think with streaming now extremely popular in Australia that networks would be jumping at the opportunity to show live sports to attract viewers.

Surely 140K viewers would beat if not compete with "Gilmore Girls".

I really hope that in the future the NBL can do a deal with Netflix or Stan and give a big F.U to commercial networks.

Reply #544047 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I think the important question is

Would the Gilmore Girls beat Kentucky?

Reply #544066 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

^^ Ball please ^^

How many Gilmore Girls got drafted this year? Seriously.

Reply #544070 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I'd think one issue would be how much Sky would want for the right to televise the game they are producing?

Gilmore Girls wouldn't cost a thing cos they already have it.

Reply #544077 | Report this post

Schen  
Years ago

Basketball in Australia is dead.

Reply #544080 | Report this post

DMX  
Years ago

this is stupid crazy Australia the largest consumer of NBA league pass in the world, cant get more than 150K to watch our national team play!
and now as a result they wont show game 2 and most likely we wont see basketball on free to air again for a very very long time....

i wonder how much money was pumped in for advertising by BA or 9? looks like stuff all

Reply #544083 | Report this post

Skuull  
Years ago

Basketball Australia website they are going to stream it from there.

Reply #544085 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"this is stupid crazy Australia the largest consumer of NBA league pass in the world, cant get more than 150K to watch our national team play!"

Do you know how many league passes that actually is though? NBA games on TV have long rated well well below 150K, even before ILP became popular.

Reply #544090 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

DMX, 141 thousand is probably very decent when you consider there were no TV adds for the game and most people who were interested had to ask on the net "Is the game on TV?". I bet you could almost double it if people knew when and what channel it was on. And no Schensh, Basketball in Australia is not dead - far from it.

Reply #544092 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Interesting article here:

http://pickandroll.com.au/australian-basketball-proved-television-oceania-series/

Reply #544121 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

#892 LOL, that is such an Aussie thing to do, go get a betting account just to watch this game, love the thinking outside of the box...

Reply #544123 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Thats right GWB - Amazing what could be achieved if there was some advertising behind it.

Really disappointed at the amount of news coverage (even for a supposed 'minor' sport in Australia) this series has generated.

I bet if you put a live sporting match on with no advertising, hype, or news coverage and still pulled 141K, I'd be laughing at the success.

Reply #544125 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

It goes to show how strong the interest actually is. I felt like half the people in the basketball community were asking when the game was on during the week because no one knew.

Reply #544129 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Something sad is that it was a huge pain to find the game times on the BA site. I could find the date and all other ra-ra, but the times of each game were a giant pain to find. Ended up finding them mentioned at the bottom of an article about Cam Gliddon.

Reply #544135 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

140k on a Saturday night with: AFL, NRL, and the deciding Bledisloe test - that's a bloody good number (probably the highest viewership GEM has ever had.....) and an excellent reminder that moving the NBL back to winter would be an absolutely horrible idea.

Reply #544160 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Yet not good enough to show game 2. GEM are a bunch of clowns.

Reply #544165 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

1) it's on at 5pm which would clash with their regular programming (especially on a week day).

2) there obviously is an issue with sharing content from the NZ broadcaster

3) it's broadcast live on youtube.

I'd take 1 live game on TV and a live youtube stream over nothing any day.

Reply #544168 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Over nothing, yes of course. And I thought the coverage of the game 1 was top notch. However, they didn't do anything that could be confused as advertising.

Reply #544171 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

That isn't GEM's fault.

I saw plenty of advertising for the game - but like it said there is a lot of other noise around this time of year. That pushes up the price of advertising and makes it harder to cut thru to the audience.

Reply #544176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not just Game 2 being blacked out how about with seven weeks to go until NBL tipoff where is the announcement re: TV coverage?? wow at NBL.TV being scrapped

Reply #544182 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

blacked out? its free and live on youtube?

as for the NBL broadcast - given that K has only been in control for a very small amount of time and broadcast deals don't happen over nigh, what did you expect to happen? NBL.tv was run by Performance whose contract ran out, it wasn't scrapped.

Reply #544209 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Perform were terrible. They deserved not to be renewed. I think if you read between the lines, there is a TV deal coming and there are options, they are just evaulating what is best short term vs long term.

I guarantee that before the end of August we will know what is happening.

Reply #544219 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

GWB - spot on.

And i'm not sure what the Boomers broadcast has to do with the NBL anyway. Given that BA has little to do with the NBL and vice versa....

Reply #544223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi GWB what is the goss on the TV coverage I have heard zero rumours which is a worry or are you just speculating.

Reply #544224 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well LK is on the record saying options are there, but they are evaluating them.

Reply #544227 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

ummm maybe you haven't heard anything because you're not important enough to know what's going down - until the deal is actually ready........... Unless your LK and then you probably should know....

Reply #544235 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A summary of the stats broken down, also compared to other sports broadcast that same day/night as a comparison:

Has Australian basketball proved itself on television with Oceania series?

Reply #544239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King Podge seems to me no one on here is too important therfore no hot insider info posted just rubbish entries what a waste of time bye

I will ask my friend at Fox Sports and not report back here with the answer (sucked in for being rude) but I'm sure it will be a 'no' anyway

Reply #544241 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

That's great LC.

Those Brisbane stats are lower than i would have thought - no QLD teams were playing league that night. I wonder if it has to do with how the extrapolate the viewing data?

Reply #544242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

actually since it will be a 'no' I will report back with a TOLD YOU SO #LKfail

Reply #544243 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Anon, what has 2 thumbs and wont loose any sleep - this guy.

Reply #544244 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The OzTam figures are a guide only - I don't know anyone who has one of those devices that tracks what you view that goes towards those figures.

Reply #544247 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:03 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754