Isaac
Years ago

Greg Oden signs for $1.2m in Chinese league

Former No. 1 overall NBA draft pick Greg Oden has signed a one-year, $1.2 million deal to play for the Jiangsu Dragons of the Chinese Basketball Association, according to multiple media reports.
Full story

This is all very harsh but funny

Topic #37738 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He actually had to tryout with the team first too before they considered signing him.

Going from former #1 pick in the NBA draft to needing to tryout with a chinese team to see if you're worth signing.

Reply #544107 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

He's had plenty of injury problems which completely derailed his career. This obviously contributed to his more recent off court problems as he struggled to come to terms with his fall.

Hopefully he can stay healthy, get back on track both on and off the court and make it back to the NBA. He still has time on his side, especially for a big guy.

Reply #544108 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, I don't think there's any way he's going to survive 82 games against NBA bodies, but no reason why he can't carve out a well-paying career in lesser leagues.

Reply #544110 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

"Thanks for taking the bullet for us, Portland" - OKC fans

Reply #544124 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Haha thats funny! Open made some money and sound like he just made some more. I just hope he can find some of that Stehpon Marbury peace and tranquility over there... Good luck to him.

Reply #544157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CBA games are on TV unlike our NBL. now that's funny

Reply #544189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People think the NBL is better than the Chinese league. That's funny

Reply #544229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People think the NBL is better than the Chinese league. That's funny

Reply #544234 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it might be. Just not as much money going around.

Reply #544248 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

My observation from watching many many CBA games and almost every NBL game.

The Chinese league has far more teams than the NBL so the talent is diluted. No doubt their imports are better because they offer a shitload of cash but they are not always in the best shape as they live the high life in China.

The imports also are by far the main scoring option on most teams because the local talent is quite thinly spread and therefor most of the players outside the top level of local talent are bellow NBL standard.

I would be pretty comfortable that NBL teams would beat CBA teams more often than not.

Just check what Mills did in each league to get a handle on the difference in standard.

Put all the locals into 8 teams with the best imports playing over there and it would likely just go the other way.

Reply #544249 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yep, quality of imports is a step above because of the crazy cash they throw at them, but from what I've seen (only just to watch someone like a Mudiay or an ex-NBA guy), the talent of the local players is definitely a step down from the NBL... Maybe that's the number of teams, but hey, they have a few more people to choose from, too. ;)

Reply #544292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of for sure the import level is salivating stuff, but the local talent is in parts laughable. Such a huge talent ratio, reminds me of the NBL in the 80's 90's before we really produced international talent from Aus. The money being thrown around for fringe NBA names is getting even more and more appealing to these guys.

Reply #544343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely a sad case of 'what if?' with Oden. When he was drafted he was being touted as the next dominant centre a la Shaq/Hakeem. There was a ridiculous amount of hype around him. People in the future will ask why he was drafted before Durant but back then the majority of gm's would of picked Oden with the number 1 pick. I wonder how good he would of been if he hadn't had all those injuries.

Reply #544474 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:07 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754