Anonymous
Years ago

U18 VC Boys

Recharging an earlier thread, tonight is the last round for the U18 VC boys and what a competition it has proven to be.

One of the tightest comps I have witnessed at this level. On a given night there is very little between 1st and 10th placed teams, with plenty of upsets so far this season.

Tonight the top 4 positions can all change dependent upon results, while the fight for finals spots from 5 to 8 is on in earnest with 9th and 10th ranked Diamond Valley and Waverley still with a chance for the eigth spot and finals if they can win tonight.

Waverley play Dandenong tonight. Waverley need to win to make finals. Dandenong need a win to stay in second spot. A loss would see them tumble to fourth and likely first final against Melbourne.

Keilor play Hawthorn and the winner ends up fifth with an elimination final against eight next week. Should be a great game this one.

Knox take on Eltham with rewards for the winner and ramifications for the loser on the line. A draw would make things extremely interesting in the top 4.

Melbourne play Diamond Valley and Diamond Valley must win to make finals while Melbourne must win to be sure of keeping top spot, though even a loss probably will see them finish top.

Finally the surprise packet Oakleigh currently sitting in eight spot needs to win to be sure of making finals (what a story that would be), while Sandringham needs to win to finish seventh.

Great competition with every game meaning something in the last round and spots potentially changing everywhere based on tonight's results.

Finals will be a hoot! Great to see.

Topic #37760 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Diamond Valley with upset

Reply #545109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any news how Oakley go?

Reply #545112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They lost, feel sorry for them, great effort only to go out on the last game.

Reply #545128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong won

Reply #545135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keilor beat Hawthorn

Reply #545136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox beat Eltham

Reply #545140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO despite what others have written previously in other posts throughout the year, this is a very even competition and on any one night any team can beat any team. Bottom of the ladder DV knocked off top of the table Melbourne so that sort of proves my point. And the Tigers has lost its last two, the other against 6th placed Hawthorn who has shown this season to be a little inconsistent.

Great job by Oakleigh to get where they did and proved a few knockers wrong, and Waverley could be considered a little stiff firmed up in 7th spot 3 weeks ago and now on the bottom of the ladder and out of the playoffs.

It's been a very tight season, and whilst you could suggest it will be out of Melbourne, Dandenong and Knox (or even Eltham), I think there could easily be some big surprises with one of the top 4 teams out in straight sets, such is the eveness of the competition.

My tips for this week assuming I got my ladder right as they are not up yet;
4th Knox over 1st Melbourne
3rd Eltham over 2nd Dandenong
8th Diamond Valley over 5th Keilor
6th Hawthorn over 7th Sandringham

Reply #545172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VC Reserve results were mostly close and finals will be interesting, Whittlesea and Werribee resulted in a 72-70 win to the pacers and they will again meet this week in a qualifying final.

Frankston 59 defeated Broadmeadows 40 and the broncos will play again the Blues who ended up fifth on percentage in the finals.

Nunawading 72 got over Warrandyte 61 and the Spectres will now meet Geelong in the other qualifying final, the Supercats as expected easily took care of cellar dwellar Camberwell 80-44 and look the team to beat.

Bulleen 54 in a close one over Coburg 52 also leaves both teams fighting off again in an elimination final.

Next week's finals look like this (I believe):

Geelong v Nunawading
Whittlesea v Werribee

Frankston v Broadmeadows
Bulleen v Coburg

Reply #545459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why some games are at the State Center or MSAC, but others are spread all over the place, like Montmorency Secondary College, Eltham High School, Waverley or Knox?

I thought VC and VC RES finals could all be held at MSAC or the State Center or Werribee, some place where people can go and watch them all together!

What is going on with the VJBL and their scheduling, this is rubbish????????????????

Reply #545758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep we were heading to Werribee to support Supercat teams, but oh no they play everywhere from Keilor to MSAC. Really VJBL ????

Reply #545895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have heard that Melbourne had a couple of players walk out on them? They were a shoe-in for VC final, not any longer VC can go to any one of Melbourne, Knox or Dandenong I think. VC Res looks like either Whittlesea or Werribee will have to try and beat Geelong who are killing everyone lately.

Reply #546343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who walked

Reply #546354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Melbourne's last 9 games they've won 3 by 2, 7 and 5 points and lost their last two games by 18 and 17.

So 5 out of 9 teams in the competition have either beaten them or come within 7 points.

I think it's a stretch to say they were a shoe in for the VC final.

And like #354, who walked?

Reply #546360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They got cleaned up by DV player who hit 40 and Melbourne full strength

Reply #546362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who hit 40 from DV?

Reply #546364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know, just heard from someone, could be crap!

Reply #546367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hadley didn't have 30 but he had plenty, Melbourne not at full strength

Reply #546370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

37 actually,still fair effort

Reply #546373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If players walked that's a bit tough on Oakleigh. They smashed DV by 30, only to miss out on finals when Melbourne lust to them by 20.

Reply #546374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Colina only player missing and it was well over 30

Reply #546389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well hats off to DV then. makes the Oakleigh result a little more palatable. Oakleigh will continue to do well.

Reply #546398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next season maybe, they are out.

Reply #546413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aren't we done with Oakley yet!? Have a break and maybe better luck next season.... But please no more about Oakley....

Reply #546433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oakleigh, Oakleigh, Oakleigh....lol

Reply #546458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Results anyone ?

DV over Keilor. Any others come through ?

Reply #546741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandy beat Eltham
Melb beat Knox

Reply #546746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brief rundown of scores from last night for those who bother to read rather than search the VJBL web site, more entertaining this way anyhoo.

VC 18 Men

Diamond Valley 57 hung on to defeat Keilor 52 who will have no chance at redemption next week because unbelievably they are now out, but the Eagles can play on for a spot in the preliminary.

As predicted, 2nd placed Dandenong 52 beat Eltham 43 to get a week off while the Wildcats get a second chance.

Hawthorn 74 smacked Sandringham 51 to play on next week while the Sabres join the Thunder at Mad Monday!

Low scoring saw Melbourne 49 just over Knox 45, so the Tiggers also get a break next week while the Raiders carry on in a knock out final.

VC Res 18 Men

The top teams appear to be shining, with Werribee 74 taking care of last week's loss to Whittlesea 50 in commanding fashion. When they shoot it well, the Devils are hard to defeat and their height was also a worry for the Pacers who now play the Giants in a knock out.

In the other qualifying final Geelong 70 equally dominated Nunawading 49 after the Spectres gave everything they had to be close at the main break the Supercats pulled away and get a rest next week. Can't see who can prevent a Supercats v Devils final, but you never know.

Coburg 52 took care of Bulleen 36 who struggled to score and are out while in a minor upset the Broadmedows Broncos 56 beat Frankston 52 to keep their finals alive for another week.

Reply #546788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawthorn a dark horse?

Reply #546979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No - Dandenong will win

Reply #546985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong have the wood over Melbourne? If they meet in the final that is???

Reply #546994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys who walked from Melbourne?

Reply #546998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope Dandenong do win. Baldwin had been the supreme U18 coach and his players all buy into his system.

Reply #547189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supreme U18 coach?????

He coaches one of the biggest and richest clubs in the country and his team is hardly dominating.

Reply #547208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's big and rich got to do with it. The club don't buy players or offer anything whatsoever to help so that's some very odd statement.

Never said winning was easy I said he was a supreme coach that has players respecting him.

Reply #547212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No you didn't say he was 'a supreme coach' in your first post as you did in your second, you said he was 'the supreme coach'. There's a big difference, and I have to agree with #208 that he's hardly dominating the competition at 13 3 and 2. And with only two games separating 2nd to 6th, that's hardly dominating, nor is winning your first final by 9.

He may be a very good coach, and he may be getting the players to buy in, but it is a massive stretch to say he is 'the supreme coach' in the competition.

Having said that, I agree with you that being rich (which I'm not sure they are as rich as people would think) has nothing to do with it.

Reply #547229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aagh, God Bless Regional Ricky!!

Reply #547234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Compared with many Associations out there Dandenong is richer than most.

Reply #547237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you seen Dandenong's SEABL list, Christ what would they have cost?

Reply #547238 | Report this post

hogwash14  
Years ago

Tigers players are walking because they are disgusted that they left the 'team' off the court against Diamond Valley to give them their best shot at the top 8. Any other sport there would be an enquiry - not BV. Already encouraging my son to play elsewhere.

Reply #547249 | Report this post

Anonanon  
Years ago

^ so you are saying they threw the Round 9 game so DV could make finals? I know nothing about the game nor squads involved but what benefit would Melb get out of letting a team into the top 8 instead of missing out? Is the team that now finished 9th stronger than DV?

Reply #547260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DV won final against Keilor who finished 5th.

Reply #547265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oakleigh who finished 9th smashed Diamond Valley by 30 points the week before so yes I would say the 9th placed team was substantially stronger than DV.

Heard the rumour that Melbourne threw their lat game to allow one of their national teammates in the DV team to make finals. Bit dubious has the top team can lose to the bottom team by 20 points.

Also before making idiotic comments about supreme coaches take a closer look at what coaches have to work with.

There are a lot better coaches than the one at Dandenong going around.

Being a richer club btw allows your greater access to better training facilities more venues to train at, the ability o recruit quality assistant coaches, the ability to access high profile athletes as mentors to your players etc,etc so how financial you are as a club does give you a significant advantage.

Reply #547276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did Oakliegh go against Keilor?

Reply #547282 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Supreme VC coach Baldwin? Maybe in his own mind. Very much doubt the team has bought into his "system". No system other than yelling out plays from the sideline.

Reply #547287 | Report this post

Border  
Years ago

The issue isnt about Oakleigh or Keilor, they both lack depth on the bench as the season went on, depending on the week. Oakleigh you never know, but might have gone another week or two at the most.
The question Basketball Vic need to ask is why the players were not on the court that should have been, the Tigers have depth and a key point guard that are much quicker than anyone at DV, could have easily closed down any run, or anything else for that matter.
Basketball Vic has become a comedy of self interest, that have forgotten their constitution they need to get the women in management there, who seem a lot more proactive and engaged, to look into it. The Tigers players arent happy.

Reply #547334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the hell can anyone point a finger at BV for these allegations? If any formal report was made the VJBL would look into it, but unless someone has a video of the game there would be no evidence anyway.

What a crock, get over yourself.

Reply #547341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw losers when your boy gets torched!!!

Reply #547352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats sore my bad

Reply #547353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers Tanked, would be pretty funny if Diamond Valley beat them in the final

Reply #547358 | Report this post

Border  
Years ago

Hardly a torching when at 20 if you let them ! go to a few titles interstate and see what other states are doing.
BV - living in the 80's it's the difference between proactive organisations and reactive - and Johnno, look up 'saw', you do it every time

Reply #547361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this competition is so close that on any given night any team can beat any other team, and any other team can beat a team by 20 or more. Just depends who turns up to play.

From the Tiger's perspective, so what if they got some minutes into their bench, for them it was a dead rubber, even if they lost they still had head to head over Dandenong.

And I can't recall seeing Sportsbet complaining.

That aside, do you think any coach ever goes into a game saying they don't care if they lose? Never seen it happen. And to suggest that Melbourne lost deliberately so one of the their state team mates could win is rediculous.

The reality is that Oakleigh, Waverley or Diamond Valley, do you think the Melbourne coach had any concept that both Oakleigh and Waverley would win allowing DV to get into the playoffs?

Some people stringing some long bows here to suggest all that IMO.

Reply #547363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, we all know Tigers too well. Learn to spell. Ridiculous is taught in grade 2

Reply #547365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers only have 7 that play so not a long bench.This was 2 weeks ago someone is hurting!!

Reply #547372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#305 use a fullstop, that was taught in grade 1. People in glass houses ..............

What a stupid comment to make!

Reply #547392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VC

Knox takes on Diamond Valley at Eltham High

Eltham v Hawthorn at Montmorency Secondary

Melbourne and Dandenong await the winners.

VC Res

Whittlesea play Coburg at Montmorency Secondary

Nanawading go against Broadmeadows at Eltham High

Geelong and Werribee will play the winners.

Reply #547422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are we truly this short of decent courts for the highest level of competition in Victorian Junior basketball?

9.40pm games at High Schools during finals where there are less games scheduled anyway. What is going on at the VJBL, why are we being subjected to this madness?

Reply #547423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's going on right across all the VJBL competitions.

The VJBL have opened up hosting finals to tenders frm Associations which ha lead to the following IMO.

(1) An "Old Boys setup" where if you have people of influence on various VJBL committees your application gets accepted to host finals venues. If you line up the VJBL executive surprise surprise those members Associations are well looked after. If you have nobody of influence you miss out.

(2) Finals games are not being played on neutral courts giving teams a number of teams home court advantage during finals matches which hasn't happened in the past.

(3) Due to the tender process and the likely rorting to favour certain committees we now have VJBL finals being played on sub=standard courts while state of the art centers are vacant.

For example how does Bulleen Stadium at Sheehan's road get final games???

Their courts are dilapidated. There is bugger all seating and what seating there is sits right on the sideline and their backboards and rings have been their since the 60's. Give me a break!!

Play VJBL finals at the best stadiums!

Reply #547550 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

#550 Bulleen didn't tender for games. I suspect they used the venue for close proximity to Eltham and diamond valley which are a few of the games scheduled.

Interesting how the state of the stadium doesn't seem to affect Bulleen dominating the competition lol

Reply #547555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then even a worse decision to play game at that hole of a stadium.

Reply #547593 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting theory, I have been involved in the VJBL competition now for almost 10 years and in that decade I was used to attending finals at the bigger and more accommodating stadiums every year, until now.

Not sure what is going on and why it is changing, but I am confused as to the benefit of using small high school gyms ahead of brand new facilities like Werribee or the State Centre, or large venues of the past where you could have a great atmosphere and watch several finals games all together?

If it is true that decisions are being made on hand-shake deals and someone is being looked after here, I am concerned at the integrity of the competition, not a good look really...

Reply #547608 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Have you looked at the venues used? Dandenong, State Basketball Centre, MSAC, Eltham, Sandringham and a few random games at Frankston. These are the main stadiums so I don't understand the carry on.

Why would anyone want to drive to Werribee to play when they live in the east. I reckon that would be part of the consideration. When more teams from the west make finals I am sure Werribee will be used

Reply #547611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Question: Why aren't the teams that finished higher getting home court advantage?

Reply #547613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another anon^ from hill billy country who has no idea about the rest of the world. Get over yourself anon and come out from under that rock you are hiding in.

Reply #547614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Why would anyone want to drive to Werribee to play when they live in the east. I reckon that would be part of the consideration. When more teams from the west make finals I am sure Werribee will be used'

What kind of moron would say something this stupid?

Answer: One who lives with his cousins on a mountain in the East.

Reply #547615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sheehans road Bulleen stadium is a dump. The rings are the worst rings in the VJBL. They are cheap and nasty.
The courts are not FIBA size - they are not wide enough. The three point line is too close to the sideline. Players constantly step on the sideline when attempting 3's.
How can you play any games - let alone finals in a facility like that?
Next time you go there make a point have having a look at how close the three point line is to the sidelines.
That is why Bulleen in their younger age groups are so fond of the full court press at Sheehans rd - they know that the courts are not as wide as normal - they use it to their advantage.
As for Bulleen dominating the competition - Do they actually have a team in Boys U18 Chamionship?

Reply #547616 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Seriously? If I live in Knox and play Eltham why the hell would we drive to Werribee to play when SBC and Dandenong are closer. Start stepping up your game in the west and attempt to make VC and you might get some more games

Reply #547617 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yeah Bulleen has 7 teams still in VC finals. Same as Dandenong but more than Knox (4) Diamond Valley (6) Melbourne Eltham Nunawading (4) Keilor (2) Sandringham (1).

Lots of big clubs missing from this list,

Reply #547619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 610 this thread is about U18's. Previous poster was asking if you had a team in it? I think the answer is no.

Also the last few posts were dumping on the standard of your stadium, which I don't even think you could argue against.

Reply #547636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who walked out of the Melbourne team?

Reply #547640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone please answer #640 ^, he's asked plenty of times and gets nothing.

Reply #547645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Question Again: Why aren't/shouldn't the teams that finished higher getting home court advantage for their final?

Reply #547647 | Report this post

Anonanon  
Years ago

#640 - You aren't allowed to name players under 18 years of age. So you wont be getting a reponse to your question.

Reply #547654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously#617 it is not about your precious little world over in the East. It is about the best stadiums being used for finals and for the best teams which would be VC and VC Res. So if Werribee or some bigger venues in the West are mentioned along with Dandenong or those bigger stadiums in the East it is irrelevant where you come from. Why would you even be in the VJBL with that kind of attitude, seriously?

Reply #547662 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Come on! Parents would be gobsmacked having to drive miles to Werribee when Dandening, SBC and MSAC are available. Lucky you that you have a great venue for your club but it doesn't mean the whole basketball community has to waste time and money to get there when there are other more accessible options. The fact that you can't see that tells me how deluded you are

Reply #547855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Troll alert^

Reply #547861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Close games and someone said Hawthorn might be a dark horse, well they just might!

VC Men

Knox defeated Diamond Valley 70-63.

Eltham lost to Hawthorn 56-59

VC RES Men

Whittlesea defeated Coburg 74-68

Nunawading defeated Broadmeadows 56-49

Reply #548173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can an upset happen next week, can any one of the favourites Melbourne, Dandenong, Geelong or Werribee lose?

Knox, Hawthorn, Whittlesea and Broadmeadows will give it their best shot and maybe there will be another upset in the making, but it will be tough so I expect close games to continue.

Anyone at the games last night, can shed any light on how they went. maybe how Hawthorn downed Eltham?

Reply #548175 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reckon Dandenong will take it out although Melbourne seemingly have an easier run into the GF playing Hawthorn

Reply #548196 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bit of a shock loss to National Classic winners Eltham. Hawthorn must have played well to win

Reply #548208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DV blew the win.Scores level with 32 seconds left, then lost control!!

Reply #548212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was told this morning Eltham blew a 20+ point lead to lose by 3. If so is it the biggest choke in 18 VC history?

Reply #548218 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

As an Eltham parent of an u16s player ... we were following the game in question.

Yeah .... Eltham had a big lead by qtr time ... but Hawthorn dug in deep.

Eltham could have still won in the dying moments but made some bad decisions that ultimately cost them the game. This was even after the hawthorn bench were teched during the 3rd qtr & it looked like we were gonna pull away.

As for the Bulleen stadium ... court 2 is an abomination. It has various flat spots , and the seating is very limited. And they're the good points.

Reply #548244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not shocked that Eltham lost after winning the classic

Reply #548246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am shocked at the disgusting way our best juniors are being treated, playing finals at crappy little stadiums with me seating and no decent view of the games, this must be a joke that the VJBL is playing on everyone!

Reply #548269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No seating

Reply #548270 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You mean Eltham High and Montmorency. VC should be at SBC, Dandenong or MSAC

Reply #548293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, I wonder where the preliminary finals will be this week?

Reply #548426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whittlesea v Geelong game should be held at Werribee!

Reply #548470 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

^Ridiculous. It should be at Southern Pen.

Reply #548472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the VJBL should consider Hobart? I hear they have a great stadium down there!

Reply #548494 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

I'll take Eltham High over MSAC any day.
Last four sets of finals, I've had to coach at MSAC on crowded courts with horns going off everywhere (and my teams have won and lost at this venue)- and yes I know the other team is playing in the same conditions.
Just wish the VJBL wouldn't feel the need to use all the courts at MSAC. I know they leave some courts vacant for prelim final week- but if they could also do so in earlier rounds of finals, we'd get better games and less migraines.

Reply #548507 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Funny. I actually agree that the Geelong v Whittlsea game should be at Werribee.

Reply #548531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now, come on, that would make sense!

Reply #548535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Draw is up, and........

One game at Knox, the others all at MSAC!

Seems some commons sense applied, Melb v Haw is at Knox

Reply #548538 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Someone mentioned in passing that all GFs would either be at Dandy, Knox or MSAC.

Eltham Vs DV at Dandy for example.

Reply #548565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Predictions -

Melbourne v Hawthorn 9.40pm at Knox

Can the Magic cause a huge upset and keep their dark horse tag alive? Tigers have huge presence inside and quality in all positions, can't see them letting this one slip, but you just never quite know.

Dandenong v Knox 9.40pm at MSAC

This could be an absolute cracker of a game and could go either way. Rangers are solid and strong in most positions so the Raiders will look to score heavily if they are to take them out. I think Dandenong could get over the line by a point!

Werribee v Nunawading 9.40pm at MSAC

The Spectres can hurt you when they apply full court pressure and run hard, but the Devils have that big inside presence and an ability to shoot the lights out. If they shoot it well early we can expect the Devils to put the Spectres to sleep in this one.

Geelong v Whittlesea 9.40pm MSAC

Supercats have been the benchmark team in RES for the past few weeks showing versatility and using their strengths to advantage. The Pacers are quick and determined but lack size, if Geelong play to their potential and use the ball as well as they have been they should get over the line by 10 points.

Reply #548580 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Good preview Anonymous. Reckon you are on the money

Reply #548597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Results

VC has once again proven to be tight scoring defensive minded basketball with no more than a 10 point margin the end result.

Melbourne 53 ended Hawthorn's 43 run into the finals, it must be said the Magic have had a good season and the Tigers were favourites here.

Dandenong 61 over Knox 55 was a tight tussle as expected, but the Rangers proved too solid in the end.

VC RES saw the two power clubs take control and were a cut above the competition this year. Also the scoring was higher as it generally has been, but the winners of the Reserve Prelims could lay claim to being unlucky to miss VC, such is the way they are playing.

Werribee 74 dominated Nunawading 48 and just had too many weapons for the Spectres who fought hard and had a good season with a smaller team that just lacked that size in the end.

Geelong 75 ended the run of Whitlesea 46 in similar fashion, pulling away in the end to make the final in comfort against a tenacious Pacers who gave it all they had but again size hurt them and they rely on a high percentage of outside shots to win because of this.

Reply #549358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not being at all games, was anyone present at any particular game that could share their thoughts or observations? Predictions?

Reply #549360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Melbourne and Dandnong in the final, does that mean the State Centre should hold all VC grand final games?

Reply #549389 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The two power clubs? If they were they would be in VC. Maybe when they play a VC team they are not so "powerful"

Reply #549422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Written by a parent lol

Reply #549427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe in VC Reserve they are power clubs, so what's your point dickhead? Read the post in context and stop making stupid comments or come up with your opinion, but don't criticise people who have theirs without understanding what they are saying!

Anon^ commenting about parents writing on a post, so what you moron, what are you in life, are you either a kid or an adult or a parent, so which are you, oh I know you are a moron of course!

Reply #549428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong and Geelong both have SEABL programs, so how are they not power clubs?

Reply #549430 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How many Geelong teams are in a VC Grandfinal or in VC in general. We are talking about the VJBL here

Reply #549443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares, they have been in VC consistently over decades, what club are you affiliated with anon^?

Reply #549444 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Have they? Just think the power club claims need to be realistic but hey, if you feel better talking it up then who am I to squash the enthusiasm

Reply #549452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So anon^ who do you see as the power clubs, since you know everything?

Reply #549464 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dandenong, Knox, Melbourne, Bulleen, Diamond Valley, Eltham I could go on

Reply #549475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, weight of numbers in the junior ranks and most VJBL teams is your criteria for a power club anon^

Why don't you just say that in the first place and we can all accept that your opinion is based on Melbourne clubs who are in the most populated city in the State and have poached and continue to poach from other clubs and do so just to make their ego happy.

Can't argue with that logic now can we!?........

Reply #549498 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Poached? Where from Geelong? Talking about clubs that regularly win titles. That's part of the criteria for being a power club don't you think? How else do you measure ?

Reply #549550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So only VC titles count, well that's your opinion so fine keep it like that! And what's it got to do with Geelong, you have an axe to grind do you anon?
Plenty of power clubs in the West, Werribee, Keilor, Altona, Broadmeadows all with massive numbers and plenty of titles in the past, it's not just about the Eastern clubs.

Reply #549564 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This is getting old because of the chip you have on your shoulder.

Reply #549578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So anyone have a prediction for the finals?

Reply #549599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Draw is up:

First GF game is VC RES at State Centre 8.50pm Crt 3

Geelong take on Werribee in what could be a very close game going on form and previous results. Both teams have dominant bigs and some sure fire outside shooters. If Werribee can hit their shots early and gain confidence in their outside game that is where their strength lies because they run deeper in this position, but if the Supercats get going they are good front runners and it will be hard for the Devils to overtake them late in the game.

Supercats by 8 points.

Second GF game is VC also at State Centre 9.30pm Crt 4

Melbourne have been the bench mark all season, but the Dandenong boys have been building for this and if the way they took care of Knox is any indication they would be confident in this game. Can the Rangers get over the Tiger's famous system 'Shuffle' Offence, that is the question? Melbourne has some height inside too that could cause Rangers a problem, but Dandenong play a solid team defence when they are up and about and can curb this presence, but can they also curb Melbourne's shooters?. This one will again be hard to call and a close encounter is expected, but I am tipping a minor upset here.

Rangers by 4 points.

Reply #549659 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Another good preview Anonymous!

Reply #549670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the coach's like and will they have any great influence on results in these games or is it all up to the players and how they turn up on the night I wonder?

Reply #549673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Crystal ball anon, only past meetings to judge by. Both games can go either way. Lets wait to play the blame game until next Saturday.

Reply #549676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL the blame game in basketball, never heard that one

Reply #549691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two Werribee coaches going up against one another, they should know each others game well so that could be interesting.

Reply #549727 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Heard the 18 champ game Dandy v Melbourne will be live streamed. Any info?

Reply #549831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are courts 3 and 4, is there a vantage point for video at these courts?

Reply #549834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@727 lol yes he will always be a Werribee Coach even after 2 seasons at Supercats.

Reply #549857 | Report this post

FalconsTV  
Years ago

831. Was going to be the plan to stream from SBC but have been switched to Dandenong to stream a Boys and Girls's game.

Grand Final Games to be streamed from Dandenong this coming Friday.
18/09/15 (Fri) 20:00 (VJC - 14 BOYS CHAMP) MELBOURNE vs KEILOR
18/09/15 (Fri) 21:30 (VJC - 18 GIRLS CHAMP) BULLEEN vs ELTHAM
www.mindittv.net/wba

Reply #549903 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I was looking forward to seeing how you operate @FalconsVT, shame I will be at the other venue...

Reply #550087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that was a big night of championship hoops, with some big highlights and results to match.

Congratulations to Melbourne Tigers 18 men in taking out the Victorian Championship against the Dandenong Rangers 67 to 61.

Also congratulations to Geelong Supercats 18 men defeating Werribee Devils for the Victorian Championship Reserve title 61 to 54.

Reply #550384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't see all of the Melb v Dandy game but what I did see it looked like the Tigers system won them the game. They just seemed to know where each other were and played to their strengths while the Rangers went a little to the individual but still pushed the Tigers to the end.

Reply #550441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was there many dunks or highlights in the game^?

Reply #550446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure about the Melb Dandy game but Geelong v Werribee had probably eight big dunks during that game!

Reply #550510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VC Reserve men's 18 final was an exciting game, but I wouldn't say it was nice to watch or highly skilled because there was a fair bit of pushing and holding going on. It was intense though, probably just a typical final really. Werribee shot it better, but still didn't shoot well, only hit about two 3 pointers all night and that was never going to win them the game. Geelong didn't even get a 3 from memory, so had to rely on fast breaks from turnovers and their inside game to win. It was an up and down game, both teams went zone to try and crowd the key and Geelong looked like they lost their way on offence after a great start, going on individual efforts and forcing play at times. The Devils played the better team offence and were coached better, but Geelong's top three players were better overall and kept them in front. Yes, there were plenty of big dunks in this game, especially from the bigs on both sides, but the average shot taking made it close and low scoring to be honest.

Reply #550641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It looked to me like the 2 best bigs in that u18 age group play for Werribee and Geelong. Both have promising futures. Don't think there were any real bigs in the Melbourne vs Dandenong games.

Reply #550649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both of them are about 6'10" and they had a great contest against each other, but the Werribee big had no back up big to fall back on so Geelong took advantage with their 6'6" wing who ran amok. You will see them both in Youth League next season I imagine.

Reply #550657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't the big fella from the Tigers at the AIS now?

Reply #550704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not presuming so try not to attack me , but these last few anons watched the game so again not presuming that they may be proud parents of a big.

Reply #550717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a stream available now for
Knox v Latrobe u16 champs w?
Melbourne v Dandenong u18 champs b?

Reply #550720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they were keen observers or coaches or a couple of many people who were at the game? There was a big crowd at the State centre last Friday night, not attacking you anon^^ but presume away.

Reply #550728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if someone makes an observation about a shooting guard or a small forward having a good game are they automatically the parent of a player, really?

Reply #550731 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754