Isaac
Years ago

Boomers win final game over China

The Boomers have finished the Stankovic tournament with a 71-58 win over host-nation China.

The victory gave the Boomers third position behind Lithuania and Argentina. Comp MVP was Martynas Andriukaitits from Lithuania.

CJ Bruton was named to the All Star Five for the competition.

Boxscore of the Boomers final game

Worthington scored 23 (this guy is going to be a huge pick-up for the Kings -- lock for ROTY?), Saville 13, Helliwell and Loughton 10 each. Jacob Holmes played 23 minutes for 2 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists. Pero Vasiljevic got 20 minutes for 2 points and 4 boards.

BTW, here's the NBADraft.net profile on Yi JianLian, the 18 yo prodigy mentioned yesterday. Worth a read. He's 7' or so, but was trained as a guard while growing up, so he can handle the ball and shoot well.

Topic #3781 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

Was it that Oscar didn't get any minutes? As his name isn't even in the box scores?

Reply #44070 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I suspect so. Close game against the host nation.

Reply #44071 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

That dodgy result against Angola really hurt in the final standings.

LITHUANIA: 4-1
ARGENTINA 4-1
AUSTRALIA: 3-2
CHINA: 2-3
ANGOLA: 2-3
PUERTO RICO: 0-5

Reply #44089 | Report this post

dolphin  
Years ago

all these friggin' tall Asians. what the heck?? how do they produce them so tall - but yet they are still lean. i am glad that the NBA is now becoming more international, as it has more non-Americans in the league. some that dominate too.

Reply #44122 | Report this post

dolphin  
Years ago

thanks for the link though Isaac on the Chinese fellas, i found it interesting to read. cheers!

Reply #44123 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

dolphin, I'd imagine the "heck" you ask about is due in some part to sheer demographics, as China has one of the bigger catchment areas in world basketball. They probably have just as many seven-footers who are fat, but they probably aren't as suited for hoops, so they're off doing something else (God knows what).

I'm sure China could also supply:

- guys under 5 foot who could dunk
- an eight-footer or two

but whether they could actually play is another question.

Can you imagine the tryouts for junior-age rep teams over there? It would be like the Australian Idol auditions, with queues going out the door and around the block.

Reply #44124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i thought all asians were meant to be midgets...

Reply #44146 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

His age is 1984-1987. No-one knows his age. Mmmmm. Manufactured in a a petrie dish in a Chinese lab somewhere perhaps?

Reply #44159 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:14 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754