Isaac
Years ago

36ers confirm Ebi Ere signing

EBI Ere won two NBL championships in three grand final series in four seasons in Australia so the chance to come back and play for Adelaide was a no-brainer.

The 36ers confirmed Ere, a 195cm swingman from Tulsa, Oklahoma, would join Kenyon McNeaill as their two imports for the 2015-16 campaign.

"Basically, I love the lifestyle," said Ere, who quietly slipped into Adelaide on Saturday to start training with the Sixers.
Boti Nagy has the full story

Topic #37816 | Report this topic

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

I like it. Our big needs were perimeter scoring and a big man and they've obviously opted to go for the former. Ere can still ball and is a smart player who prefers skill and finesse unlike Creek and Walker. If everyone is healthy and with Joey at the helm the 36ers should the give the NBL a red hot crack. We have made good replacements and have built a strong core over the years and McNeail and Ere should be strong additions. Bring on the season!

Reply #546168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't see this coming at all

Reply #546171 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

You're one very glass half full type of fan my friend. Glad something, anything, has finally been announced.

Reply #546175 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Worried about Hodgson lasting the season and missing Big Red. Apart form that I'm all good. Except of course with the lack of member contact and social media but use to that being poor so nothing new there.

Reply #546184 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, if Hodgson stays on the court and lives up to some of the wraps on him as an interior presence then this is a good team. The other question mark is McNeaill. If he struggles this is a playoff contender and nothing more. If he can fill his role really well, particularly from range, this becomes a title contender.

Reply #546189 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hoping McNeil has more defensive presence at the back door where Jamar failed. He has support so if he has an off shooting night, recognises when he has gone too deep and getting hammered and uses the pass and plays smart it should be all good. I am looking forward to Lucas Walker with this team. I mention whim a few years ago when he players for South in Allstars and he fitted in well with our lads. He is athletic but been in a dud team with loads of attitude issues. He does have a maturity which is a bonus and he performed well last season for Boomers but Melbourne screwed him over. Give him a chance and he could be our new BJ. Although I would love to have BJ back.. Was a crowd favourite and finding his form and such a shame he was injured. Would like to see him brought back in when he is better and if there are issues int he team he can really get it going on court and he has the best game face ever !!!

Reply #546195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Davis and Al Green signing in the next few days I'm hearing

Reply #546200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahahahahahah

Reply #546202 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

I find it strange that people are already writing Ere off at 34 years old, when just a couple of years ago people were still calling for Willie Farley to be signed at 38

Reply #546209 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

No one with any real idea was considering Farley as a impact type import... as much as he was loved in his prime. Just a few factors compared to what he offers most likley, in comparisonto what we need that worries me.

Reply #546211 | Report this post

mav dav  
Years ago

Carlin will play more than hodgson

Reply #546221 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Different category of player, but Kobe is doing OK at 37. Fair to give any player a chance to play before being judged. More difficult to assess in advance than if they'd, say, added an ABL benchie in place of an import where everyone had recently seen them play.

Reply #546226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When are the 36ers going to announce this?

Reply #546228 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Someone suggested this announcement was supposed to be made on 1st Sept...what happened to that?

Reply #546240 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Announced via Boti at Adelaide now -http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/dual-nbl-title-winner-ebi-ere-back-to-lead-adelaide-36ers-championship-assault/story-fnii09ki-1227500080897

Reply #546241 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

People make it sound as if he is 40 odd.

34 isn't too old.

Plenty of professionals are still productive at this age. Braswell was older and had achillies history.

He would have lost some athleticism but that skill wouldn't have diminished.

Reply #546252 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

If you're comparing him to Kevin Braswell, thats not a great thing!! For me as stated, 34 is one thing, but needing to come in and be a big time impact type is going to be hard to see happening. Ofcourse would love to be wrong, but a lot falls on this signing because Mcneale doesn't look like he will be much at all...

Reply #546263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

34 for your import isn't great. As a regular end of bench player who cares. Sure we could have got something better (read younger)

Reply #546270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Announced via Boti at Adelaide now'

Boti is not the 36ers. No mention of anything to do with Ere on the 36ers website, Facebook or Twitter and they've announced everyone of their other signings.

Reply #546274 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

You sure this happened. It's not confirmed on 6ers social media lol

Reply #546280 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

We are going on like he is really old yet Dmac played until he was 44 at a high level! Darnell Mee played until he was 36 at 34 he was still getting great stats. Andrew Gaze played until 39 averaging 20ppg in his final season, he averaged 29ppg when he was 34.

Josh Childress is 32 and would have been MVP last season. Something tells me that Kirk Penney at 34 is not going to be average either just because of his age. Jamar Wilson is 31 he didn't look hampered by hitting the old age 30's.

As others have suggested that Ere's stats continue to be good in strong leagues. Let's just wait until he has played several games before judging.

Reply #546295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ere can hit big shots and consistently drive and dish Etc - so you know he'll be a 15ppg 5rbg type of import
I'd be more concerned about the other import
It's also important for creek and walker to step up this season -!i think the team balance is good this year - top 4 if the guys mentioned have good seasons

Reply #546296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"34 isn't too old.

Plenty of professionals are still productive at this age. "
I doubt that just being productive cuts the mustard for an import!

Reply #546298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ira Clark has been tearing leagues up, including the NBL from 35 onwards to now when he is 40! Ease up, and get critical if he can't actually ball!

Reply #546304 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Italy, France and Spain are good leagues.Will be a different style of player to when we last saw him.

Reply #546306 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

He himself said he is less athletic but smarter which is exactly what I was expecting. He really just needs to hit his open shots and be a threat to keep the defense honest to be effective...we have Creek and Walker who can slash to the basket and provide that athletic aspect.

Reply #546311 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'Announced via Boti at Adelaide now'

Boti is not the 36ers.
Boti's article said that it had been confirmed by the 36ers. It's been rumoured by enough people on here for weeks now. He's been seen in Adelaide and photographed training with the 36ers.

But you can wait for the official announcement if you'd like.

Reply #546313 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

So what will the starting five look like?

Reply #546314 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

36ers looking good. If DJ didn't come back last year & u announced him this year your roster is as exciting as all others! If anything u get to fly under the radar a bit. U have the best coach out there so look out!

Adelaide will be very solid...

Reply #546315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont think Joey is the best coach, perhaps best dressed though...

Reply #546317 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Gibson / Sobey
McNeill / Teys
Ere / Creek
Petrie / Walker
Johnson / Hodgson

But probably with a depth chart as follows:

Gibson / Teys
McNeill / Gibson / Sobey / Creek
Creek / Ere / Walker
Ere / Petrie / Johnson / Walker
Johnson / Hodgson

All of the guards are pretty interchangeable and can play multiple roles, will depend on how good McNeill is. Gibson also has to go back to the main PG role, which is not always his best fit.

There is a genuine battle for minutes at the wings, with Ere, Creek and Walker all being most suited to the 3 spot. We will likely be playing a bit of small ball this year.

The big man depth is probably where we will struggle the most and where we look a little thin, particularly defensively. Really only a three big man rotation.

Reply #546320 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

XY. Think Walker is better at the 4. Has the Athleticism and the size. Also his J isn't great as a 3.

Reply #546322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ere will command minutes, what impact will that have on Creek and Walker (Walker has already stated he didn't like or handle it in Melb)

DJ critical as Petrie and Hodgson have injury issues that don't look like going away and we will struggle with dominate bigs.

McNeill ???

And which Gibbo do we get.

They are the keys as I see it.

Reply #546323 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Gibson 30 McNeaill 10
McNeaill 20 Teys 15 Ere 5
Ere 20 Creek 20
Petrie 20 Walker 15 Creek 5
Johnson 30 Hodgson 5 Petrie 5

Reply #546325 | Report this post

I love how Boti is singing the praises of Ere for being a winner, playing on some of the most piss-taking, cap cheating teams in history, but still making sure to stick the boot in to Perth for exploring loopholes in player contracts.

Reply #546327 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #546337 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Yeah I defintely think walker is gonna play bulk minutes at the 4

Reply #546342 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Id consider bringing McNeal off the bench and starting 2 of Creek, Petrie, Walker

I reckon a starting 5 of Gibson, Ere, Creek, Walker, Johnson with McNeal backing up the pg/sg, Teys backing up sg/sf, Petrie backing up pf/c would be a really nice 8 man rotation.

Reply #546346 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Agreed. McNeail off the bench.
I really don't want to see Creek come off the bench, due to a logjam at the 3 for another season.
He's been ready to step up as a starter since early last season, let's give him a shot at it.
Gibson, Ere, Creek, Petrie and DJ to start hopefully.
We'll be leaning on DJ and Petrie quite a lot this year.
McNeail will likely be given an opportunity to prove himself as a starter early season. But I think Creek will be a starter by round 5.

Reply #546347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Petrie looked like he was in decline last year. It will be interesting to see if he can bounce back and have a good season.

Reply #546348 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Thank god is announced Isaac. was worried it was all a hoax NOT

Reply #546352 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Jonno, I am just concerned with that starting 5 about the lack of ball handling/play making smarts.

Gibbo is great, but is a 1/2, and can be susceptible to the trap/pressure.

Creek is not a ball handler and is not there for the skill set to create the plays.

Ere, from my recollection, is a pure wing (albeit with good length) and would not be taking ball handling roles. He is no point forward and will be best playing off the ball.

In fact, it could be said that all three play their best basketball off the ball. Will be interesting to see how that works.

Reply #546355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek will start a the 4, lock it in. Small ball like GSW

Reply #546359 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Good point, I agree we only have one real ball handler on the floor, but Gibbo is a PG imo so happy to have him shoulder that load as much as possible, there will be times when him and McNeall are on the court together anyway.

I guess id let Walker bring it up against his bigger less mobile PF opponent, he isnt a point forward but if Gibson is doubled then there should be enough room for him to quickly push it and head straight to the basket and even kick it forward to DJ or Ebi who will be in our forward half.

Fast ball movement overall will be the key and make it difficult for opponents to trap Gibbo and/or Walker without leaving a Creek, Ebi or DJ fairly open in decent positions.

I just like the look of an athletic, versatile, fast paced line up with my suggested starting 5.

I also reckon Gibbo, Creek and Walker could do a fairly good job trapping there opponents too with the length, athleticism and grunt.

Reply #546363 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon, at 6'5 I am not sure that Creek is a full time solution at PF, small ball or not. Ok for a changeup though.

We will largely be playing small ball anyway with DJ a mobile big and Petrie/Walker each only 6'8. We will be coming up against some monster front courts.

Johno, we might need to insert Teys or Petrie into your lineup if you want McNeail on your bench for that extra pair of safe hands.

Reply #546369 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, im not opposed to McNeail or even starting him, i just like the idea of the bigger more athletic line up starting both Creek and Walker with Gibbo, Ere, DJ. I just think Creek, Walker, Petrie are too good to have 2 of the 3 off the bench, but hey it gives us great depth, and McNeall may be better anyway.

I suspect Joey will start something along the lines of McNeal, Gibson, Ere, Walker or Creek, Johnson.

In 2007 with the Bullets from memory he used Mackinnon as his pf from memory, Creek is of similar height and Walker is taller so i dont think Joey will be worried about having those 2 play some minutes at PF, with Petrie obviously also in the PF/C rotations.

Reply #546377 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Those 2007 Bullets were the epitome of run and stun basketball. They only genuine big they had was a Bradtke playing limited minutes in his final season. Even when they were wiping us off the court they were fun to watch.

Joey tried to replicate it in subsequent seasons but didn't have the cattle. Maybe that is the thinking behind stacking the team at the wings this year?

Reply #546380 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

A nice dunk by Ere

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uWX65z_m1OA

Reply #546419 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

2007 is a long time ago. Certainly a stacked team being paid ridiculous $. Might have a lot of wings
but very weak at guard spots. Probably 5 players that are really threes and 2 guards, both who you would hope will start.

Reply #546425 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

the number plate is back...ebi-ere

Reply #546450 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Johnson / Hodgson
Walker / Petrie
Creek / Teys
Ere / McNeail
Gibson / Sobey

Reply #546463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More realistically:

Johnson/Hodgson
Petrie/Walker
Ere/Creek
Gibson/Teys
McNeail/Sobey

Reply #546464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This team is 1 more stud away from being solid. Not excited, screwed the import pickups, can be as politically correct as you want and say dont judge till you see them play BUT seen enough weak rosters put together to know this is another...

NBL teams more than not need solid imports, we may have 1, MAY have 1.

Reply #546471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact that many people want to see our import start on the bench means we got it wrong.
import should be the difference..

Reply #546485 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon #546471 - Melbourne were stacked last year, how did they go?

Reply #546487 | Report this post

Let's be honest  
Years ago

Now I'm prepared to have people jump down my throat for not taking the time to read the article but didn't Mitch Creek just have surgery for something?? No matter how minor you wouldn't think he'd been ready to start come tip off for the season with minimal prep time playing with the complete roster???

Reply #546488 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

He said he woke up with a sore elbow out of the blue & is not sure why or how it happened? He just had minor surgery to clean it up. Will only be out a week (provided it isnt anything more sinister) and will be ready for season tip off.

Reply #546495 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

@anon we made the GF and semi's with 1 import. Aussie core far more important than imports. Perth's success is built on a sustained core of local talent.

Reply #546504 | Report this post

"The fact that many people want to see our import start on the bench means we got it wrong.
import should be the difference.."

Like Torrey Craig?

Reply #546506 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Goorjian was renowned for having good Aussie talent with 1 good import and 1 off the bench as well.

Reply #546511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calm down people Adelaide will still make top 8

Reply #546513 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ebi looks pretty good out there, although there's a lotta americans training out there, all pretty good...hodgson's hard to guard, need jawai to block him...

Reply #546516 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Peach told me Ebi is looking really good and is a real pro!

Might be better than some expect and also could be good for the team in more ways than one?!

Reply #546518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mcneal will be no Torrey Craig, plenty of teams have had success with imports off the bench, but thats a poor example to rebut with, Craig would start and be solid in most teams with more import friendly systems.

Reply #546522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi probably is in first week of pre season, question is his body after the have schedule, Peach to.

injuries could decide who does and doesn't make it this season.

Reply #546532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus what is Peach gonna say... Nah he looks shot, too old slow, i mean really its preseason time everyone is glass half full at this stage.

Reply #546582 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

he lifts you up a bit being around

Reply #546584 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon #546522 - How do you know Kenyon will be no good, have yuo seen him play?

Anon #546582 - Peach could say a lot of things with diplomacy without saying he is rubbish or not up to. Camel 31 has obviously been out to training and seems to think he is looking pretty good. What are you basing your negativity on?

Camel 31 - How is Kenyon looking out there?

Reply #546588 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

For what its worth I got a txt from a mate who saw him play said he didnt look up to it, but you never can tell until they are in the heat of battle...

Reply #546605 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

kenyon looks small..shoots threes good , but not much else YET..needs more work out there

Reply #546635 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

I watched training yesterday and whilst it is pre season was not impressed with Ebi Ere. Gibson and the other import watched on and he was up against yellow singlets so reserves and hit 1 shot from about 8 attempts. I just expected more. Hoping its just rust !

Reply #546688 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:52 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754