Isaac
Years ago

Funny Boti's word on the Sixers 12

There's a piece in today's Advertiser about the reduction of the Sixers Port Lincoln training roster to a final twelve. Here's Boti's opinion on how everyone performed:

Nash: "played last week like a man whose career has been resurrected"
Cooper: "16 points with 12 rebounds in the intrasquad exhibition"
Farley: "in terrific shape"
Maher: "spanked a succession of defenders ... 23 points while dishing five assists"
Rychart: "ill" and "below his best", but "16 points and nine rebounds"

Hambour: suggested that Hambour will make the 10, "exemplary with 16 rebounds and 16 points"
Gerlach: "also improved"
Gower: "unlikely to retain a spot" (Gower is not longer allowed to fill a development spot, so he must be in the 10 or nothing)
McDonald: "talented but may need another year"
Watson: "has game but is reliant on his shooting accuracy"
Sutton: "needs to have more of an NBL impact"
Zorich: "needs work on his outside game"
Madgen: "was the surprise performer"
Wood: "leaves for the US to attend college this month"

Topic #3782 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Hambour, Gerlach and Madgen for last three spots??

Reply #44075 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

First two might be a good bet. Not sure about Madgen, but he's had a pretty good year.

Reply #44076 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Possibly Watson instead of Madgen? By the sounds of that article Hambour is a given and probably Gerlach.

Reply #44077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is Paul Rogers now definitely out of the mix.....or are we just not very hopeful???

Reply #44079 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

i would have no problem with hambour and gerlach being chosen....both have had fairly successful and consistent years in state league. i would think gower is history by the sounds of that....probably fair enough, he is a solid ABL player, but has not really taken that next step....give another youngster like watson or madgen a go i reckon.

Reply #44080 | Report this post

wish I could dunk  
Years ago

Paul Rogers was never coming here......not enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Reply #44081 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Wish I Could Dunk,

I think you should wait until it is officially announced as to whether he is coming or not. You just need to show some faith in PR and the Sixers.

Reply #44082 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

So, according to Scout Boti, here is where we are now.
The "Locks" (9)-

Maher
Farley
Rees
Cooper
Rychart
Hill
Forman
Holmes
Nash

The "Probably's" (1) -

Hambour

which leaves two development spots for

The "Maybe's" (2 spots only) -

Gerlach
Watson
Madgen
McDonald

Reply #44083 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

In today's Advertiser it says that Hambour will be on the team and Gerlach and Magden have been asked to train with the team.

That suggests that next season's team will be as follows:

Starters: Maher, Farley, Holmes, Rychart, Cooper.

Bench: Forman, Hill, Nash, Rees and Hambour

Development: Gerlach and Magden

To confuse matters more, the article goes on to say that the 36ers are optimistic that Rogers will sign with us but is waiting to consider an offer from West Sydney.

I assume that if Rogers signs that Hambour will be pushed to 11th man and Gerlach to number 12.

Reply #44084 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Wouldn't Hambour take the development spot vacated by Gower?

Beleieve he is only in his 2nd year.

Or he could be in the squad awaiting sign off on Rogers deal then moved to developement player when Rogers is ok'd.

Reply #44085 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Sorry Stephon to repeat you,
we must have written at the same time.

Reply #44086 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I don't mind Hambour hes a big fella who can bang in on he boards but if were going to take him on again it is time he started getting a few more mins a game.

I can hardly recall the kid playing for the sixers?

Reply #44092 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hambour? He has played interstate. Defended Bradtke with some success, I think.

Reply #44093 | Report this post

Kym Taylor  
Years ago

I would have thought Matt Sutton ahead of the others listed. Once again on Sat night, he did plenty without being loud, throwing his ego around, and carrying on. Solid in points, boards, assists. AND plays defence!!!

Maybe needs to start carrying on some more to get noticed???

Probably because he is a good bloke and not a chop on/off the court.

Would have thought a much better fit than others listed, or some that have been hanging around doing nothing for a few years.

Hopefully he plays NBL soon and can look back on another one lost.

My reasoning was backed up on Saturday night by many "once were warriors" also in attendance, unfortunately to see their old club colours lowered by a better outfit on the night or course.

They were overcome by the "Nest's" facilities, compared to their share outfit in the dome!!!!

Reply #44100 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's Potsie's rundown on the scorers from that scrimmage in Port Lincoln.

Blue - Brett Maher 23, Todd Gower 18, David Cooper 16, Nick Hambour 16, Brad Gerlach 14, Michael Zorich 7, Matt Sutton 4.

White - Paul Rees 18, Dusty Rychart 16, Mark Nash 13, Willie Farley 12, Jye Watson 10, Josh Wood 10, Ben Madgen 6.

Reply #44126 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

todd gower 18 points???...that is a fair effort. i guess todd has just run out of time to develop and considering that he is 25, that is probably fair enough, he has had a number of years to show his worth. i think he is unlucky but i would rate hambour above him.

Reply #44140 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I know he didn't have a lot of words to play with, but I've got to say I was intrigued by some of those lines by B. Nagy:

"has game but is reliant on his shooting accuracy" (about Watson) - doesn't every 2-guard face this problem? You could say the same thing about Maher, or even Iverson - in fact, you could say "has game and seems not to care about shooting accuracy; he just keeps shooting it" about Iverson.

"needs to have more of an NBL impact" (Sutton)
What does this actually mean? Is it a polite way of saying he can't play at NBL level? Is it code for "whoops, I knew there was someone I forgot to take notes on."
And how does one go about having more of an NBL impact without actually playing in the NBL?

I'd love to be enlightened.

Reply #44142 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

hahaha

you say what we're all thinking!

i'd love to know also.

Reply #44145 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Perhaps you should come out and say it, Dr D - that way, you could "have more of a Hoops SA impact"!

:)

Reply #44151 | Report this post

bad PR  
Years ago

I am presuming Boti means that when bench NBL players come on, they need to have an immediate impact. Someone who is likely to turn the game on its ear. Players who are used to doing things consistently over 40+ mins in the ABA tend not to be the explosive players coaches like to have up their sleeve on the bench. If you can score in spurts or smother someone defensively, (preferably both) you'll make a good NBL bench player. Picking up the tempo of the game helps, too.
Someone like Matt definitely possesses the tools to play at the next level, but would need more minutes to make an impact. His time will come.

Reply #44153 | Report this post

shapes  
Years ago

bo hamburger you could still have an impact without scoring by shutting down a player, making assists, getting rebs etc so i think he ment jye watson needs to score to play good and have an impact

Reply #44169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hambour 10th spot
gerlach and madgen the development spots for sure

Reply #44184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

madgen is the 12th spot and has taken a development spot

Reply #44333 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I see a good season coming on...just need everyone fit and healthy!

Reply #44671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kym could not of spoken a truer word about Sutton..I think his time must be soon he's been working hard to make that team and those who wtahc him should see that he deserves it

Reply #46086 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:06 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754