Anonymous
Years ago

The "New" NBL? What has changed?

Ok we all know that LK has only taken over a sinking ship in the last few months but what real changes have been made to the NBL?

A huge song and dance about a new logo and website? Big deal.

Still no television deal, no major sponsor, no major Marketing campaign (although I will give the benefit of the doubt until the AFL season finishes).

The talent returning and that has been recruited is fantastic, I will give them that.

But without serious exposure, it will count for naught.

Your thoughts on this "New" NBL so far?

Topic #37831 | Report this topic

FYI  
Years ago

Do people live in Disneyland? Do you expect someone to snap their fingers and sprinkle fairy dust and fix everything in a few weeks.

Reply #546531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's been a lot longer than a few weeks mate

Reply #546533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will take time.

Reply #546534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need to give them a season first before jumping up and down LOL

Reply #546535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hasn't the referee committee changed, that's one thing?

Reply #546536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So I will ask another question from a different angle.

What has impressed you so far with the new NBL?

Reply #546538 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We went from having 2-3 teams about to bail to having almost all recruiting impressively. I think that's been the biggest turn around. More clubs are doing a better job with their marketing, at least from what I've seen - Melbourne, Sydney and Illawarra for example.

The lack of naming rights sponsor isn't new. The old TV deal was on the way out and you could tell Ten just didn't care, so the lack of change there is no great change. I'll believe there's a TV deal when it's announced - bored of the "closing in on a deal" press.

The branding is the first step towards marketing. I'm sure they'll be pushing that campaign at the right time.

Really only comes down to TV and naming rights. Best to wait and see on TV, and I can't imagine they'd be in a strong position to get major sponsors in the absence of TV.

The recruiting has impressed me after that horrible early off-season. Who isn't interested to see the new import crop, how Kings and Hawks go with their upgrades, etc?

Reply #546539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The man has the money and connections to make a difference but this stuff doesn't happen overnight.

Look at what Melb United did off court last year.

The concern is clubs still need to build themselves That isn't and nor should it be his problem.

Don't worry about the league worry about some clubs and what they do or don't do, the league can afford to buy time.

Reply #546541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry Sengstock
John Rymarz
Rick Burton
Kristina Keneally
Peter Ali

ALL said it would take "time" to build it up.

What did change in their time?

Reply #546543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they had a lot longer than these guys have had

Reply #546547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"they had a lot longer than these guys have had"

I realise that but ever time someone new comes in, we think a lot will change but it never did.

So why should we believe it will change now?

Reply #546550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is not under the banner of BA any longer!?

Reply #546551 | Report this post

"So why should we believe it will change now?"

Because they got a new ball deal which wasn't with Dunlop. Thats basically like winning the lottery.

Reply #546552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Because they got a new ball deal which wasn't with Dunlop. Thats basically like winning the lottery."

I don't understand?

Reply #546555 | Report this post

Neither do I.

Reply #546560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why say it then

Reply #546562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets be brutally honest. you don't need to believe it unless you are in a position to do anything about it.

All any of us do is guess, whinge or discuss. we can't control it we just hope it works

Why have faith because we want to, whats the alternative ?

Reply #546564 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Rome wasn't built in a day. I like what LK is doing so far. It's the little things like New website, logo, Patty Mills as ambassador, greater presence on social media that show he will do well . Give home time.

Reply #546567 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The foolish thing is that there were a LOT of stupendous claims being made when LK's "proposal" was first rumoured. All the stupendous things he was going to achieve, and all for just a few million dollars. NONE of those claims came from LK, but unfortunately people swallowed them, and are now holding him accountable.

At the end of the day, injecting $5M into the NBL will provide some financial stability, and that's always a good thing.

The part I would be critical of, and have always been, is that this is the guy who thought rebranding the Tigers as MU, was the answer to THEIR problems, so he was always going to try something similar.
And who knows, maybe telling some people its a "new" NBL, with a new logo, etc, will have some benefits. Personally I find the the new website to be a PITA, but I'll get used to it.

Reply #546569 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'm surprised he didn't change the name to "Australian Premier League Basketball".

Patty Mills has league ambassador is good. Not much he can do for 8+ months of the year though.

League stability is good, but far from assured. This off season has been no different from every second off season in the NBL where one or more teams look like they'll fail and then just manage to push through (alternating with off seasons where they do fall through).

TV, naming rights etc are things that do take time. You can't expect these things to be done overnight, that would be stupid. But so would talking up your chances of getting that sorted better than anyone else. So theres that.

Reply #546575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, MU rebranded very well but there was much more to that than just changing a brand name. Legal issues.
it worked, they did a great job everywhere but on court (Anstey not great coach material).
Old website was worse

i don't care what he does or doesn't but you don't get that successful by doing things quickly to make people on a forum happy, you plan it strategically and do it at the right time.

Reply #546576 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

How was it successful? Is a huge amount of money pumped in and crowds half full of free tickets a success?

It may yet be a success, but calling the MU branding a success at this point is completely absurd

Reply #546581 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

the recruiting for this season is certainly a vote of confidence from the clubs and their sponsors.

hope it is sustainable....

Reply #546607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's absurd if you don't know any better.
Over 2 million in corporate sponsors and government funding they never had under the tigers branding.

If you base success on the people in a stadium and nothing else then you need to wake up.

Money survives clubs.

Melb and Perth do Corporate better and they are the two best financially.

Reply #546629 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There were benefits to the MU change, but significant losses too. There were some very worried people at the club until the last two games of the season when some people who had received in-kind memberships finally rolled through the doors.

Reply #546649 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The jury is definitely still out on the MU change.

It was encouraging seeing a sold out Hisense for the last game, but that was one game.

I will say that LK has shown his willingness to pour money into the sport. Whether that actually translates into success ultimately for MU and the NBL in general remains to be seen.

Reply #547477 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Boti has alluded on Twitter to a TV deal being announced in the coming days.

Reply #547488 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Sounds promising. Fingers crossed for a good deal.

Reply #547492 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Fingers crossed for something -anything- on free to air.

Reply #547505 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I really hope that at least every game is shown on a live streaming service. While NBL TV had quality issues I enjoyed having the option to watch every game.

Reply #547508 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Are SBS out of the equation??? Aren't they losing soccer at the end of the contract.

Reply #547509 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Agreed Train

NBL TV had it's detractors but I enjoyed having the option of checking out any game, any time.

The ultimate package would be games on FTA TV like the last few years, with an upgraded online subscription service- like NBL TV but better quality.

Reply #547510 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The NBL needs every game, or at least most games produced in high quality and in prime time to start cracking the mainstream media market. Fox with a game a week on FTA would be a bloody good result.

Reply #547512 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Fox with no FTA though would not be a good result.

Fox effectively keeps the league cornered in a small segment of the market- not many people have Fox with the sports package.

Reply #547514 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'd be happy with that result also.

Reply #547515 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I would of thought the majority of people buy Foxtel to GET Foxsports.

Reply #547518 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think all games on Fox with no FTA would still be a very good result, provided Fox took it seriously. It would put the NBL back in front of the mainstream media, particularly with midweek games on TV.

Reply #547520 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

LV, most of the highest rating shows on Fox are sports shows, and the ratings the NBL got on Ten and ONE would certainly be attainable and beatable on Fox.

Reply #547521 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

My question is: Who will be paying who? What kind of money is going to be put into the production? If the NBL can be made attractive on Fox, and sustain decent ratings given their situation, they could eventually barter for an OK TV deal.

Reply #547522 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

At least if it goes to Foxtel then its more likely that we will get a good chunk of games live.

Reply #547523 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'll take your word for it Paul but I find it odd that NBL on Fox would get the same ratings as One HD. How many people actually have Fox with the sports package? Everyone has a TV though.

I've never had Fox and am unlikely to ever get it, but I watched NBL on FTA all the time.

Reply #547525 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Fox Sports channels regularly get bigger ratings than ONE, which is a poor performing channel.

Reply #547527 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I know a lot of people who got Foxtel purely for the AFL channels and sports channels. Having the NBL on one of those sports channels would be a big boost for the NBL considering what they have got previously.

Reply #547528 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The thing is, people specifically go to Fox for sports, so you are keyed into one of your target markets. People who like sports will happen across the NBL. That's a lot less likely to happen with GEM or ONE.

Of course, you'd like some sort of FTA presence to attract young fans who don't have STV, but there is the whole beggars and choosers thing, and for exposure I'd prefer every game on Fox than only two per week on FTA, unless that was on a main channel and heavily promoted, but I can't see that happening at this stage.

Reply #547531 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Fair enough- I can see the logic behind your statement that Fox Sports would still be good for the league then, Paul.

For me personally then, fingers crossed we have a good online solution.

Reply #547536 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, for us tragics, having every game available online is pretty hard to beat.

Reply #547538 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'll take your word for it Paul but I find it odd that NBL on Fox would get the same ratings as One HD. How many people actually have Fox with the sports package? Everyone has a TV though.

I've never had Fox and am unlikely to ever get it, but I watched NBL on FTA all the time.

Reply #547540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'll take your word for it Paul but I find it odd that NBL on Fox would get the same ratings as One HD."

It won't. Last time on Fox some NBL games got just 7,000 to 8,000 viewers. It would be a big backwards step from the Ten deal.

Reply #547541 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

It was encouraging seeing a sold out Hisense for the last game, but that was one game.

A truly bizarre definition of "sold out" LV!

Reply #547544 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United s last game was full unless my memory is off

Reply #547553 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Yep, but if I am hearing correctly, from lots of sources, not that many 'sold" tickets....

Reply #547558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been saying it for weeks....Fox Sport

Reply #547562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New refs supervisor who has NO NBL experience. WTF!!

Reply #547582 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754