alexkrad
Years ago

Perth Wildcats confirm Nate Jawai signing

Perth Wildcats sign Nate Jawai

The Perth Wildcats have signed Nathan Jawai, one of the biggest and most popular figures in Australian basketball.

Jawai, who stands at 209cm tall and weighs in at 143kg, has played in the NBA and for some of the biggest European clubs.

The 28-year-old is also an Australian Boomer who most recently helped see his country qualify for the 2016 Olympic Games at the FIBA Oceania Championships.

'Nate', is excited to return to the NBL for the first time since being named NBL Rookie of the Year with Cairns in 2008.

"This is an outstanding opportunity for me to continue to develop my game in an extremely strong competition at a highly professional organisation," he said.

“I’m excited to play in front of big crowds at Perth Arena, and am looking forward to working with my new teammates to build the strongest front court in the league.”

After representing the Cairns Taipans eight years ago, Nate Jawai was selected as the 41st pick in the 2008 NBA Draft by the Indiana Pacers.

He was then traded to Toronto where he secured a two-year deal, but only played six games as he battled a cardiac issue.

In 2009 he was traded to the Dallas Mavericks and then the Minnesota Timberwolves where he played 39 games - the highlight, a team-high 16-point and six-rebound outing against Portland.

From 2010 onwards Jawai has played in Europe – representing powerhouse clubs Parizan Belgrade (Serbria), UNICS Kazan (Russia), Barcelona (Spain), Galatasaray (Turkey) and MoraBanc Andorra (Spain).

His last full season, before suffering a neck injury, was at FC Barcelona Regal, where in 30 games he averaged 7.1 points and 4.7 rebounds.

Wildcats head coach Trevor Gleeson said he will be a huge boost to his team.

“What I love about Nate is his willingness to do whatever the team needs. He’s not in there to be selfish, he’s very conscious of helping the team out and we love that attitude here at the Wildcats,” he said.

“He’s a dominant force inside, just his mere presence on a basketball court is an asset. You saw how unselfish he is in the Boomers series against New Zealand. He finds open shooters and sets great screens to free up teammates.

“I’m really happy he’s decided to come to the Wildcats to improve himself. He’s here for all the right reasons – to get himself in the best physical condition possible and to win a Championship.”

Nate Jawai was born in Sydney but grew up in the small town of Bamaga – close to the tip of the Cape York Peninsula in Queensland.

He attended high school in Cairns where he played rugby league before picking up basketball as a 15-year-old.

At 22 he became the first Indigenous Australian to play in the NBA.

Nate Jawai will join his teammates in Perth in the coming days.

The Perth Wildcats have one position remaining on their 2015/16 roster.

Topic #37832 | Report this topic

Dazz  
Years ago

Well at least now its official.

In isolation, its great to see. Good to have him back playing NBL, and stoked its at the Cats.

NOW the challenge is to scrounge some points and find SOMEBODY to fill that guard spot.

Will be VERY interesting to see how they line up, and what role Prather plays.

Reply #546568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ Bruton to fill that guard spot?

Reply #546573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im telling you throw PC in this sqaud and it fines a voice and some balance shooting wise!

Reply #546580 | Report this post

SirCharles  
Years ago

We've got about as much chance of CJ Bruton filling the last spot as I do of scoring a root with Scarlett Johansson.

Reply #546583 | Report this post

Ain't gonna happen holmes

Reply #546597 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Can't be unhappy with that signing.

Reply #546603 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

great to see Knight at of where he should be playing all along

Reply #546608 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

^pf

Reply #546609 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Knight, jawai, cp, dollar and damp not had five for me. then wags,redhage, hire and Jervis. I like it, the wall is back!

Reply #546611 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

^damo

Reply #546614 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

You know, if you just put a little more effort into thinking about what you're going to post, you probably could have done that with one post instead of four.......

Reply #546616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see Cats 4 Life back in action too! Its been too long.

Reply #546617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would like to meet cats4life and GWB they seem like a pair of real characters

Reply #546619 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

I'm back! did you miss me? where is my mate Jack? great to see 36ers are on the pension list wit centre link

Reply #546620 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

I winter school but it didn't help

Reply #546621 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

went

Reply #546624 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Sucks that one of my favourite players plays for the Wildcats. Have to tip my hat to Marvin for that pickup. I think Jawai will come in and dominate if the refs don't punish for his size advantage.

Reply #546625 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

If Nate can get himself in top shape again he will be a dominate player once again and could be a sneaky chance for Rio

Reply #546626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In an ideal world I would've rather seen Jawai go to a struggling club like Townsville rather than Perth but this is fantastic news for the NBL having Nathan Jawai back in the league!

Reply #546632 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Going to be interesting seeing us go to this kind of big-man heavy structure, we've been pretty small ball in recent years.

Reply #546633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good problem to have, he's going to mash guys down low.

Reply #546638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide will have no answer for Perths size thats for sure, not like the offensive rebounds were a factor in the GF series haha

Reply #546639 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Knight, jawai, cp, dollar and damo not had five for me. then wags,redhage, hire and Jervis. I like it, the wall is back!

If Prather is any good at all, that's a massively stacked team.

Reply #546646 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

And it will be a massively stacked defence against them unless some guys step up their perimeter shooting from last year.

Reply #546648 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Hopefully they had Damo practicing his shot over the off-season in every spare moment.

Reply #546659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that when he was injured?

Reply #546661 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

If Prather can be a scorer then hopefully Beal will free up and be the 3 point threat he was in his first season. Otherwise Gleeson is going to have to come up with an effective to way to break a Zone defence that doesn't involve jacking up 3's.

Reply #546664 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It also means that at times we'll see Perth run with a big front court; Jawai (or Jervis off the bench) and two of Redhage/ Wagstaff/ Hire.
At others, just two big post players; Jawai and Knight, with Beal & Prather on the wings.

Reply #546675 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

When Martin has shot close to 50% on threes in the regular season Perth have won two titles from two attempts. If he shoots that well again this season they will be mighty hard to beat.

Reply #546683 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As for Jawai not being a good fit, in case you hadn't noticed NBL teams can't be too choosey. When somebody of his calibre wants to come back to the NBL, you GRAB him.

Knight has always been a PF filling the centre role. The Cats showed last year that starting Jervis at centre and Knight at PF not only worked but was hard to defend. Plus you have to consider that Knight is injury prone and not getting any younger, and Redhage is nolonger the scoring machine he once was. The Cats' lack of depth was exposed by injuries last year. They made the playoffs but couldn't put a competitive team on the court. They not only needed to boost their front court, but needed to do it with somebody that could actually play quality minutes and make an impact. Another "random" big guy on the bench wasn't going to work.
I don't KNOW whether they had already had talks with Jawai, but i think having Lewis Thomas train showed the direction they were heading.

I was puzzled with the direction they took with Prather, but I assume they had already looked at the local market and determined that it would be easier to find PF types than guards or a swingman.

Daniels was brilliant in the open court (a lot of players are) but he wasn't strong enough inside, and he he didn't have have outside game to compensate. Remains to be seen, but Prather SHOULD bring that outside game, and he looks good in transition. Now Nate will bring his inside presence. Win-Win.

Reply #546720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I long for the day the Cats grab a top Australian swingman again.

Reply #546728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hopefully they had Damo practicing his shot over the off-season in every spare moment."

Why wouldn't he have been doing this from day 1?

Reply #546729 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I long for the day the Cats grab a top Australian swingman again."

Who was the last one?

Reply #546732 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Trevor Torrance

Reply #546744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it may be wise to not play knight and jawai together for huge minutes, only say 5-10. The other times toy can pair them with a redhage or wagstaff to keep some shooting out there at the 4 spot.

Reply #546755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of comments that marto better have a good shooting year which is true, but knight also need to knock the mid range jumper consistently to help create some space inside. Fingers crossed prather is as good as ennis from downtown too.

Also, how will jawai do on D chasing smaller guys around?

Reply #546756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is an interesting season to be a cats fan. A lot of unknowns and if things don't pan out it could be ugly yet if everything does click e.g. jawai gets fit, combines well with knight, marto and prather shoot well from deep then they could be dominant. A wide range of results possible.

Reply #546757 | Report this post

Full page ad on today's paper for the Nate signing. Not an article. An advertisement.

Reply #546767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^

You get the impression the Cats are lagging behind last year as far as memberships go. I guess now making one last push before the season starts to try and get the numbers back up there.

Reply #546772 | Report this post

No doubt they are behind, not sure how much, but I'd expect the numbers to rise again with the roster now complete. Getting off to a good start, and Prather playing above the rim will also help.

Reply #546773 | Report this post

A Ness  
Years ago

Perth will get blown away -Beal is cold under pressure Prather is not Ennis - Not even A Ness and The forwards are pedestrian - will get owned by every team - except Adelaide - Adelaide are looking at Bruce Bolden to replace Ebi Ere (similar ages)

Reply #546840 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

"Perth will get blown away -Beal is cold under pressure Prather is not Ennis - Not even A Ness and The forwards are pedestrian - will get owned by every team - except Adelaide - Adelaide are looking at Bruce Bolden to replace Ebi Ere (similar ages)"

Nice to see that as down as Adelaide supporters are on us, they're still saltier about their own team.

Reply #546845 | Report this post

N Ness  
Years ago

Prather is no me that's for sure

Reply #546862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MOre Perth arrogance. That's why everyone hates them.

Reply #546866 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^
God, the standard of trolling is plummeting lately.

Reply #546876 | Report this post

A Ness  
Years ago

So is the standard of Perth's recruiting - hit the mark with Ennis - Epic fail with DeAndre (worst recruit since Vince Hinchen), fail with Earnest Ross, fail to retain Drake U'U

Reply #546880 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

You've got a long memory if you recall how Vince Hinchen did in Perth, but a short memory if you've forgotten all the dud imports after him.

Reply #546887 | Report this post

I don't know that failing to retain UU should be a key point when trying to prove that the Cats recruiting is poor.

Reply #546890 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@A.Ness - Pointing out a few of the failed imports does not validate your point that Perths recruiting is bad. Recruiting imports for any teams are hit and miss. You can look at any team and say the same thing.

Reply #546897 | Report this post

Which teams are recruiting better than the Cats right now?

Reply #546898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Christopherson
Massingale

Reply #546899 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You've got a long memory if you recall how Vince Hinchen did in Perth, but a short memory if you've forgotten all the dud imports after him.
Was Hinchen even an import in 92? We had Grace and Hansen that year.

Reply #546902 | Report this post

Sounds like someone is talking out of his A Ness.

Reply #546903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol at Koberulz.
Hinchen was a naturalised player by the time he played for Perth.
Why he was even bought up on the forum is irrelevant to current recruiting

Reply #546904 | Report this post

Why are you LOLing at koberulz?

Reply #546906 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Jawai is a great signing, I think most are happy to have him back in the league, but no one really happy its at Perth. Props to them for recovering so quickly from the Greenwood situation, even though considering Marvin was involved and the history he has, I still find it all a bit fishy how smooth it went down. So people attacking their recruting are just annoyed for the sake and looking for anything. But they remind me of the Yankees in the MLB, no one outside of Perth wishes this team any good. Its just this season, a few will wish one particular player very good me included! Good luck to Nathan Jawai, never too late to make amazing things happen!

Reply #546912 | Report this post

A Ness  
Years ago

Ok Perth champs - so -
Daniles was a flop
U'U didn't want to return so how effective was recruiting him for three seasons
Muo? Ross? Why weren't they re-signed if they were worth recruiting in the first place
I said Daniels was worst RECRUIT since Hinchen (not worst import) (I get it in WA that you will read it properly 2 hours after the rest of Australia)
Jawai is like Brian when he went to Geelong in teh VFL (Past his Peake)

Reply #546913 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

A Ness who do you support?

Reply #546914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke Martin was the worst recruiting decision of all time

Reply #546917 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I think you are talking out of your A.Ness. Lets talk about your teams recruitment and finals records shall we ?

Reply #546920 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

And as mentioned in another thread U'u left to talk up an opportunity with the Kings in the NBA.

Reply #546921 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Cant think of any 1 team that has never made a disaster of a signing, in any league in any sport... so my point is wrong tree to bark up!

Reply #546925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

San Antonio!

Reply #546927 | Report this post

A Ness  
Years ago

NZ Breakers - we speak for ourselves - name an import who was a dud - so good other teams grab em
And how's our finals record - Perth have been in the league 386 years (33) for 6 Flags
Breakers 12 years for 4 (and 5 this year)
Perth debacle signings - need I remind you
Dan Hickert (Big Centre) Jeff Allen (Big Centre) Gavin Vanderputten (Big Centre) Paul Kuiper (Big Centre) (whose signing is so bad its off your wikipedia page) Luke Schenscher (Big Centre) Dewey Michaesl (Bi Centre) Mike Brown (Big Centre)
Recurring trend anyone
Also bumbled with CJ Bruton and his career (should have played 300 games at the Cats
The only time the big centre has worked is Paul Rogers
And have you had a 3 peat yet? What's that 4 rings in 5 years - no?

Reply #546952 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Awvee Storey was a dud... replaced by John Rillie.

Reply #546954 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Also the Breakers cut Redhage, so point is all teams make great and bad calls on players. Some how dont think that logic will sit well with you...

Reply #546955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Dunigan makes up for all those duds!!

Reply #546957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kerron Johnson was a dud for the breakers

And people think wildcats fans are arrogant. Holy crap!

Reply #546958 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Well they are, but this individual is a bit off centre with the attack. All been there all passion no substance haha

Reply #546959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"NZ Breakers - we speak for ourselves - name an import who was a dud - so good other teams grab em"

Pierre Wooten

Reply #546961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Ness are you going to defend those duds selections with logic??

Reply #546962 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

A.Ness - while you dropping player names how about some of the legends of the game Perth recruited. Ricky Grace, James Crawford, Scott Fisher, Andrew Vlahov, Paul Rogers, Kevin Lisch , Shawn Redhage, James Ennis.

Your trying to argue a point at least try to open the other eye while your doing it.

Glad your proud of your team though, and so you should be. They have been one of the best dynasties ever in the NBL but atleast pull your head out of your A.Ness for a bit of fresh air every now and then.

Reply #546963 | Report this post

A Ness  
Years ago

Point 1 - You have had 33 years to get it right - still can't
Point 2 - We cut Redhage - have won 5 rings since - he's won two - maths for west australians - 5 is better than 2 - unless its a ness poundings - like the breakers have given to the mildcats
I think you have had 2 league mvp in all your recruiting - how many have we had - so who is getting it more right?
Again - how have big centres worked out? How many titles did Dunigan win?
And look at Oscar, Kirk, Ibewickery and Redhage - our scraps are your stars

Reply #546969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought GWB was a knob but A Nuss takes the cake.

Reply #546971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You just referred to Kirk Penney as scraps. Get off the drugs you weird creepy individual.

Reply #546974 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ have won five championships now?

Reply #546975 | Report this post

A Ness  
Years ago

5 on the way
And Penney is a star - hence the breakers in the league a third as long as perth can get recruiting so right that other teams want our imports
Good comeback anusnonymous

Reply #546976 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Didn't the breakers miss the playoffs all together 2 seasons ago ? Recruiting wasn't too good there was it lol . Oh but that's right the NBL and Marvin were conspiring to make sure the Breakers didn't win again lol

Reply #547003 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Rest of the competition has caught up now mate, it's no longer a one ir two horse race. Don't count your kiwis before they hatch.

Reply #547004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our scraps are your stars... pretty sure you did refer to kirk as scraps. Have some respect for nz royalty! Your kost likely some little brat but still.

Reply #547015 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I'm starting to doubt that 100% Pure ad campaign as far as NZ's water goes.

Definitely something fishy in that water these days.

Reply #547021 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754