Topic #37833 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arrives into Perth on Sunday..

Can this dude shoot the 3?

Reply #546628 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

not at a very decent clip, he'll hit some if left wide open mind you as illustrated against the Boomers in the last series.
Bartlett is a much better shooter hence him being a SG and Kenney a PG but Kenney will get the ball up the court and get the team into their offence without too many problems.
Great he's getting a chance to prove himself at this level.

Reply #546631 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@mystro,

He hit the three at 41% in the NZ NBL this season past, that's not awful. Up on his career averages though. Averaged 1.8 TO, 4.4 Ast as well so that seems pretty encouraging. Mature player so we should know what to expect from him.

Reply #546637 | Report this post

vert4life  
Years ago

Yeah Bartlett is a great shooter until he plays NZ in a finals series. haha

Reply #546640 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Has this signing been confirmed yet?

Reply #546641 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Kenny, Jawai and Prather is a big upgrade on U'u, Ross and Daniels

Reply #546642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not yet confirmed by the Wildcats
However, Lachy Reid has stated it on twitter.

Reply #546643 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Nathan, I think you are looking at the wrong year.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=192371957&client=11-8336-114263-202747-16719622&ocompID=356729

37%FG, 27%3P, 3.5TPG and 6.3APG

Reply #546645 | Report this post

Juno 16  
Years ago

@train LOL. I would take those 3 over Nate Kenny and Prather any day...Regardless cats will never win a championship with Gleason again. His coaching ability is about as fake as his teeth.

Reply #546650 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm with Train on this one, every day of the week and twice on Friday nights at Perth Arena.

Reply #546652 | Report this post

Juno 16  
Years ago

Cats fans tend to be a bit delusional so to each his own

Reply #546658 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Juno 16 I can only interpret what your saying as really bad trolling. The only thing delusional is you picking U'u, Ross and Daniels over a current Boomer, Tall Black and NBA potential. I'll pay that Prather needs to prove himself to be better than Daniels but that wouldn't be too hard a fete to accomplish.

Reply #546660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA potential whaaat

Reply #546666 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Good news if true.
At least this season we will have a bona fide PG to backup Martin, instead of using U'U.
Prather looks to be much better than either Ross or U'U, and Jawai on one leg would be stronger inside than Daniels.

From what I have heard only, Kenny is also good defensively? So we can keep on the pressure when Martin is resting.

Reply #546667 | Report this post

Juno 16  
Years ago

@train don't know if you know much about basketball but takes more than a washed up boomer and tall black to win a championship. Not to mention the addition of Nate makes no sense from a personnel standpoint when the cats already have two solid bigs in knight and Jervis. So clearly someone is getting the short end of the stick, most likely Jervis after two proven seasons poor bugger. So I stand by what I say and would take UU Ross and Daniels over the 3 and replace the coach. At the very least you have a more balanced lineup. No upgrade imo. Cats slowing down.

Reply #546671 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Silencer

Ah, oops, didn't notice. Wow he's up and down on that shooting percentage. 41%, 27%, 39%, 26% in four consecutive years.

Reply #546672 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Daniels was never a fit for Perth last season so I would say Prather would be far more suited to this team. The Jawai signing will mean that knight will play more power forward which he is more than capable of doing.

Reply #546674 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@ Juno where did I say anything about Perth winning the championship? All I said was their new 3 recruits were an upgrade over their predecessors. Perth will be a contender along with just about every other team in the league.
Also Knight is a PF so there shouldn't be an issue with him starting at the 4 with Jervis and Jawai playing the 5. Recruiting Jawai makes perfect sense when you acknowledge the problems Perth have had when Knight went down in previous season. Other teams have also recruited big guys in the middle so adding Jawai makes even more sense.

Reply #546677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Juno 16, you are delusional mate. Agree from a roster perspective big Nate is not a natural fit but given Knight has proven ability at the 4 don't see how they couldn’t share the floor. And in relation to Kenny/Prather versus U’u/Ross, did you actually see a single cats game last season? This is a clear upgrade in skillset and ability. Unfortunately the only thing you are even close to the mark on is Gleeson

Reply #546678 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Very average signing. Anyone who does some homework will see that his resume is not great.
Very poor numbers in Germany pro B (3rd div) and shooting % etc horrible last season in NZ NBL.
Many better young Australian guards around.

Reply #546679 | Report this post

Juno 16  
Years ago

Yikes...26%. Seems like even Damo may be a better 3 point shooter.

Daniels was never fit for Perth bc of a lack of coaching.

Reply #546680 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

As a Cats fan, I would be more than happy just to make the playoffs and keep our streak going. Not fussed about a championship at this stage - i mean, we have 6 already ;)

This is going to be one incredibly tough season.

I think the additions are a fair upgrade on our team, and if Prather is 'more Ennis than Daniels' then increase that to a huge upgrade on last season but with the improvements at Sydney, Illawarra and Melbourne along with Cairns and NZ in the mix will make for a very tough season just to make the top 4.

Reply #546681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Juno 16, your delusional vendetta against Gleeson is clear, we get it. 2014 championship coach, boomers assistant - fuck ay, he's total shit. Tomorrow's news, Gleeson sacked and Juno 16 has been hired. 2016 Wildcats championship, les' go.

Reply #546684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Juno16 doesn't have a clue!

Reply #546686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh to be honest guys Gleeson hasnt got that great a wrap within pro circles. Perth fans are some knarky buggers.

Reply #546702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Kenny timed his hot shooting against the boomers to perfection. As long as he's a safe ball handler and a hard board defender who can hit occasional threes I'll be happy. You can't expect that much more for a 10th man at late notice

Reply #546706 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

I would have preferred the signing of a SG. Beal provides quality back up minutes at the point. They seem very light on perimeter shooting and prathers highlight reel is all dunks so is a huge unknown.

Reply #546715 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

At MOST, if they renegotiated contracts for Martin and Redhage, the Cats had 6 points to play with after signing Jawai. Even had they not signed Nate, WHO exactly are these "Many better young Australian guards"???
Cats have been searching for months for another Aussie, even before Greenwood left.

Simple fact is that lack of a backup PG was going to be their Achilles. Even when Damo was resting they struggled, and if he got inured during the season they would be in trouble. Greenwood was the solution to that problem and then he left.

Remains to be seen how he'll play, but it sound's like Kenny fits their gameplan well. He can run the point and defend, leaving the bulk of the scoring up to the other 4. That means they don't have to go to "Plan B" every time Martin is off the court.

Reply #546717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just imagine if Damian Martin could make a shot, still see the Cats slumping this season, very tall, but seem very unbalanced. Jawai as excited as I am to see come back to the NBL is risky health/focus wise and Knight and Redhage will miss games, they always do.

Reply #546718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be obvious if Cats are going to win the title, because Damo will be shooting 40% or above from 3 as he did in 09/10 and 13/14.

Reply #546726 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

lol at someone anonymous saying that a proven coach doesn't have a great wrap in pro circles. And you are? Clearly no one with no 'wrap'.

Reply #546730 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, Martin was 47% from the arc in the 2014 reg season and 49% in 2010 reg season, that equals homecourt for the Cats and the equals championship.

Reply #546731 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Minute distribution for the cats at full strength might look something like this.

C- Jawai 20 Jervis 15 Knight 5
PF- Knight 15 Wagstaff 15 Redhage 5
SF- Pranther 10 Redhage 15 Hire 15
SG- Beal 20 Pranther 20
PG- Martin 25 Beal 10 Kenny 5

Reply #546737 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"lol at someone anonymous saying that a proven coach doesn't have a great wrap in pro circles. And you are? Clearly no one with no 'wrap'."

the title he won was with a stacked roster that should have won and everyone expected to win.
he didn't coach them to a title nor did he build that stacked roster, he inherited it.
Ninnis or Clarke would have won with that team so those comments are fair or do you forget getting clean sweeped out of the playoffs by Cairns?

Reply #546795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets face it Gleeson is simply not a great coach. Good from a team culture perspective and setting the right tone and reasonable defense systems but complete lack of offensive strategy. Last two seasons if the cats were not scoring in transition or of a Ennis/Beal iso there wee not scoring at all

Reply #546797 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Why must all you nongs with an axe to grind turn EVERY thread into a Gleeson bashing exercise? It's getting old.

Nor do I see any reason to be so pessimistic about the Cats, so I assume this is just the same old "We hate Perf cos thay suk" brigage?

Like most years, Perth have a assembled a good squad, and if things go well, they could win the 'ship, But far too many unknowns at this point:
When will Knight get injured and how long will he be out for?
How much slower will Redhage be?
Does Martin has his shooting boots on this year?
Is Prather the new Ennis, or a crab?
Will the Perth Wall allow them to dominate the paint, or will they get slaughtered on transition?

Reply #546827 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I was hoping for someone with a good outside shot.
We've already got a quality 1 and a quality 1/2, so I would have preferred a 2 over a 1 for our other backcourt spot.

But what's done is done (assuming this news is true). Guess I'll have to have some faith in our front office to have a plan they think will do the job.

Bring on the season.

Reply #546832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what points allocation was he?

Reply #546834 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth's roster has improved ... . But so have several other teams.

They will have a beast frontcourt but they're very susceptible if Martin or Beal go down.

Reply #546990 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Really needed to go for a combo import guard rather than a SF in Prather. But then again Cats had that covered before Greenwood spat the dummy.

Reply #547000 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

They already have a combo import guard in Beal they couldn't go with another surely

Reply #547135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #547136 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

You would think his primary job is to get the ball into that massive frontcourt and defend well on the ball.

Reply #547139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure how anyone can say the cats are 'unbalanced' or they need a 'combo guard'...they were heavily exposed last year when Knight got injured, so Jawai gives them some security. Martin, Beal and Kenny can all push the ball up the floor and you can't really call Prather a SF, he predominately plays at the 2 and is more than capable of getting the ball up the floor.

Reply #547215 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Why is Kenny so reluctant to shoot? When he shoots with confidence he drains them.

Reply #558547 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's learned his ball internationally, where possessions are very highly valued and you look to get the best shot every time.

He understands that not every open shot is a good shot, and if it's relatively early in the shot clock that getting the ball inside is a better option.

He knows that his open three will be there all 24 seconds, so generally he shoots late in the clock on a kick-out, and he's pretty reliable on those rhythm shots.

Reply #558563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny like to lull the opposition into a fake sense of security by being a hesitant non threat for most of the game then stick clutch daggers later in the game. Same formula followed in the NZB game. Brilliant!

Reply #558584 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, but he took one shot, where it was clear he didn't want to, hesitated, and muffed it. But when he shoots with confidence he is so much better.
Especially at Perth, where we're not exactly rolling in 3s, I think he needs to back himself more.

Reply #558589 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Thats 2 games now where its been close and Kenny has nailed 3's at crucial points in the game. He nailed a 3 to give Cats a 4 point lead in the dying stages of the game vs NZ and then 2 3's against Hawks to bring Cats back into the game.

He might not be the greatest scorer but you can't put a price on player that can make those clutch shots. He has been a great pick up for Perth and I have no idea why he wasn't snapped up by NZ or another NBL team.

Reply #558591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny has great technique, an open three is an open three and is an excellent shot for him.

Not sure I agree with "his open three will be there all 24 seconds", paul.

Reply #558592 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You don't think most teams are sagging off him to help elsewhere?

Reply #558611 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:41 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754