Anonymous
Years ago

Nigeria has more Houston players than Nigerian

Look it up. The Nigerian team that just won Afrobasket has more players born in Houston, Texas than they do born in Nigeria. They only have two Nigerian born players.

Topic #37848 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

SO, what's your point?

Reply #547005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just found it interesting that the Nigerian national basketball team has more players born in Houston than they do in Nigeria.

Reply #547006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One day the Australian Boomers might have more Sudanese born players that those born here, but if they live here and call themselves Aussies and we win a gold medal who cares?

Reply #547007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fascinating

Reply #547008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think a person born in Sudan but raised in Australia is different to a person born AND raised in the US playing for Nigeria.

Reply #547010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read all of their Passport and Birth Certificate details have you anon? Aware of all the FIBA regulations are you? If so, what is your point???

Reply #547011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the sports world is murky now! Look at soccer and the Olympics with people who have only been in country's for like 2/3 years competing for them. In soccer you get kids playing for Grandparents countries and they have only visited once/twice on a holiday it is a joke really!

There should just be a hard an fast rule for this stuff as I bet half the born in Houston have never even been to Nigeria

Reply #547012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was so outraged by this I rushed over to fiba to check the box scores and the thing that stood out was how many on that Nigerian team had traditional southern good ol boy names like Lawal, Aminu, Diogu, Olaswhere etc, etc, etc

Reply #547029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what I bet if you had the chance to represent a country at international level you would.

And I can get citizenship in country my parents/grandparents are from but cant play sport for that country. wt

Reply #547035 | Report this post

Truueee  
Years ago

Guys, i've screenshotted the original enquiry and have sent it to FIBA Basketball. Hopefully we can have the Nigerian national team stripped of their Afrobasket championship immediately. This disgusting type of cheating should NOT be tolerated at the international level, how DARE they have players who represent their country in a great way, who are born in another country, outrageous!.... Sarcasm ofcourse

But really, i'm sick of this constant questioning over players representing certain countries. If they've got the link in any way and want to represent that country then nathan sobey it.... ('So be it', get it? Hmmm). People carry on like we're at war with these other countries, it's Basketball people, and we as humans are all in this together, we all share planet earth, we needn't get caught up in all this over-the-top national pride like we own Australia. E.g) If Thon Maker wants to play for Canada, then that's cool, but alot of Aussies will hate him for it. But then a rumour will come out that he wants to play for Australia and everyone's on his tip again.

Reply #547044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Useless post with racial undertones, not worth the effort.

Reply #547046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whole thread, not any particular post!

Reply #547047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was just meant to be an interesting littlr fact. Not sure why you guys are getting offended over it

Reply #547087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol racist undertones? Just good point made really! That comment devalues the meaning and effect when it's through around all the time!

All sports and countries do this type of talent stacking to various degrees in particular sports it isn't a racist thing to bring it up at all, like look at our pole vaulters of the last 3 Olympics!

In reality it should be were your born or a country of residence before the age of 18. None of this grandpa is from x so I'm with them, but I guess all countries will use it to advantage while it's so open ended, Nick Young for boomers any one??

Reply #547091 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon thinks because the thread is about coloured people it has racial undertones, showing just how racist they are themselves!

Reply #547103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, so this is all about cheating! That's much better than racism. Let's talk about cheating in sport, like that ever happens.

Reply #547106 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I think the AFL needs to look at getting the same eligibility rules as basketball for international contests.

Reply #547117 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Paul- Anon thinks because the thread is about coloured people it has racial undertones, showing just how racist they are themselves!

I thought the thread was about nigeria playing foreign born players of presumably nigerian parents/grandparents etc.
I'm also fairly sure there are some "whites" of European heritage, ( probably some Asian as well) who are nigerian born, so it doesn't seem to be about "coloured" persons as such.

At the worst the thread is nationalistic , not necessarily racist.

Reply #547160 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

FIBA regulations are quite clear on this matter (as are FIFA's for the guy upstairs who had a whinge) - if it is within the rules, so be it.

Reply #547176 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:16 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754