Train
Years ago

Perth announce Jarrod Kenny signing

The Perth Wildcats has completed its 2015/16 roster, signing point guard Jarrod Kenny.

Kenny, 29, is a New Zealander who recently represented the Tall Blacks at the FIBA Oceania Championships.

He stands at 188cm, weighs 87kg and while this will be his debut NBL season, he brings with him 13 years of New Zealand National Basketball League experience.

"I'm very excited to sign my first NBL contract with such a strong organisation like the Perth Wildcats," said Kenny.

“I’m a very hard-working player but really I’m here to do whatever the team asks of me. I’m going to do my best to make life difficult for the opposition to give us the best shot at having a successful season.”

Kenny played with the Harbour Heat from 2002 to 2008 before signing with the Hawke’s Bay Hawks in 2009, where he became one of the NZ NBL’s best point guards.

In the 2015 season he averaged an impressive 6.3 assists per game to go with 10.3 points, 1.3 steals and 2.8 rebounds.

At August’s FIBA Oceania Championships, Kenny was one of New Zealand’s best in game one of series, scoring 12 points on the big stage, including three of five triples.

Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson said he’ll slot into his roster nicely.

“We had a position open among the guards, where we felt we were a little light-on, and Jarrod Kenny is a very good defender, he’s tough and strong and knows how to run the team. I’ve had the added benefit of coaching against him at the FIBA Oceania Championships, and this is a good get for us,” said Gleeson.

“I’m pretty happy that we can get a player of his calibre at this late stage. He and Damian Martin tag-teaming in the back court will allow us to apply intense defensive pressure for 40 minutes.”

He said it’s nice to finally have ten contracted players to work with.

“Five weeks to go, so all we need now is to get them all here working at once. It’s good to finally get locked away and we can really start moving towards our first game against Adelaide,” he said.

“We got thrown a curveball during the off-season, but very pleased to now have Nate (Jawai) and Jarrod. I’m really happy with where we are, now we’ve just got to put our tail down, start working and look forward to a tough season”

The Perth Wildcats have its first pre-season hit-out tonight against a Joondalup Wolves Select team, and Jarrod Kenny will be playing.

Topic #37857 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

And their first pre-season game is tonight. Behind closed doors though.

Reply #547258 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Thanks Train. You must get the member emails just before I do! :)

Reply #547272 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Haha I happened to be checking my emails just as it came through :P

Reply #547277 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Interesting Pickup. It will be good to see the first game and see how the dynamic goes.

Reply #547328 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Carn the Cats!

Reply #547350 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:52 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754