Twitter
Years ago

36ers free pre-season scrimmage, Sep 4

How bad is it now. Ben Fitz tweets about a pre season scrimmage on Friday that he is advertising that the club is not.

Why do the club refuse to communicate with us in any way. Following Ben's tweet, Mitch and then Joey retweet, clearly in response to Ben's tweet only.

This is not the way we should be finding things out. This is getting disgraceful, never been this bad !!

Topic #37860 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

For those looking for a bit more info, the 36ers are scrimmaging against the Lethbridge Pronghorns (Canadian college team) at 9:30am on Friday September 4.

Free entry.

Not 100% sure of venue - Titanium Arena, I assume?

I think Joey Wright put out the invite on Facebook to any fans keen to attend, but nothing spotted from the club on Twitter.

Reply #547339 | Report this post

MV  
Years ago

Titanium Arena.

They have something on their Facebook page as of 8mins ago

Reply #547340 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I got an email earlier in the day

Reply #547345 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I got an email at 12:15 about this.
I have season tickets so I assume that is why I got the email.

Reply #547347 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Does anyone know if there will be any pre-season games against NBL teams in Adelaide?

Pretty sure there haven't been manyany the last few years.

Reply #547348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I got an email earlier today about it, not sure there are any pre season games pretty sure there are not :(

Reply #547349 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In the past Adelaide played the Tigers in pre season hitouts in Mount Gambier.

Reply #547351 | Report this post

Twitter  
Years ago

didn't Boti have an article that said the Hawks were coming here for a game ??

Reply #547354 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FORMER North Adelaide Rockets and Southern Tigers forward Brandon Brine will lead Canada's University of Lethbridge Pronghorns against the 36ers in a practice match-scrimmage here on Friday.

It will be an "unofficial" hit-out for the NBL club, but only Mitch Creek is expected to miss the match after recent bone fragment removal surgery from his left elbow.
The 36ers have an “official” eight-match pre-season schedule, though are negotiating for a new opponent at Titanium Security Arena on September 18 after Mount Gambier Pioneers’ withdrew from the proposed fixture.
Boti story

Reply #547355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched Lethbridge play McKinnon last night in an entertaining game. Lethbridge opened up brightly and held a 15 point lead at the main break. This was extended to 22 before the Cougars started to light it up from outside. Lethbridge tired in the last as McKinnon poured in 38 last quarter points. Some good athletic players for Lethbridge with a good mix of small sand bigs.

Reply #547356 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

The 36ers posted info about the scrimmage on Facebook almost an hour ago.

Reply #547357 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

It is my understanding that the 36ers are playing New Zealand during the week of the Masters Games, not sure which date.

Reply #547364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Watched Lethbridge play McKinnon last night in an entertaining game."

I think McKinnon is a better player than Lethbridge.

Reply #547368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be October 7 and the opening game of the season!!

Reply #547370 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

sixers might be going to whyalla, I heard somebody say , out there

Reply #547371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was McKinnon Youth League up against Lethbridge so age wise not much difference...

Reply #547373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers playing Mt Gambier in pre season game at Titanium Arena on Friday, September 18.

Reply #547374 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Great timing my RDO is this Friday

Reply #547381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sixers playing Mt Gambier in pre season game at Titanium Arena on Friday, September 18"

Boti says in the link Mt Gambier pulled out of it.

Reply #547385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard that the 18/9 is a no go

Reply #547390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any live stream like some of the other pre season games have been done on youtube??

Reply #547398 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

Mt Gambier has pulled out

Reply #547399 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

would like to see an allstars game like they did a few years ago at Pasadena. was a huge night and go the locals enthused..

Reply #547416 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

36ers are not playing a preseason game in Whyalla. Last time they did that was 2011.

Their lack out comunication is frightening. Its worse than in the days before email and social media. They are giving desperate fans nothing.

Reply #547507 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Early on...36ers up 11-4

Reply #547931 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

36ers up by 12 at quarter time.

Reply #547932 | Report this post

Devo  
Years ago

Tornado,
Any feedback on individuals.
I imagine a big size advantage for the 6ers.
Thanks.

Reply #547938 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

People are going to be so impressed with Sobey!He is NBL starter level now. He is so athletic as well with a fast break two hand dunk, two hand alley dunk and tried to dunk it over someone but was fouled. His defensive pressure and offensive ability is great. He reminds me of a smaller version of Abercrombie.

The new center looks better than Schencher. He is more mobile and defense is alot better. He has extremely long arms and knows how to get into position to block shots. He even threw down a massive reverse jam whilst having pressure on him. Hopefully he can stay injury free.

Ere hit a couple of 3's but looks to only playing a few minutes and holding back a few gears.

The other import is a great ball handler, passes well, a good defender and looks like a confident shooter

Reply #547940 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

Ere about 3/4 from 3. He knocks them down with ease.

Walker is the same Walker with some good things and bad things.

One thing I'll say that is very impressive that had changed is we have become a hard nosed team,it is Perths type of pressure out there. They really are being aggressive out there probably a bit to aggressive for this practice game but it is an important start.

Reply #547942 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Devo, I'm not at the game just getting feedback from a mate who is.

He tells me Ebi is playing well and so is number 8 whoever that is?

He also said Kenyon hasnt had much playing time so hard to judge him yet.

I'll ask him for some more detail and let you know.

We are up 21 at the half.

Reply #547944 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Thanks for the updates KingJames....I said Sobey would be a good pick up and surprise a few people so glad he is playing to his potential.

Is Hodgson number 8?

Reply #547947 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Devo...I saw the Pronghorns in the mall last night and from looking at them yes, I would say the 36ers would have both a height and physical advantage...but they would likely have that over a SEABL or Premier League team as well.....just as Perth would have over Joondalup.

Reply #547948 | Report this post

Devo  
Years ago

Thanks Tornado and Kingjames,
Stuck at work and appreciate the feedback.
How is Brandon Brine holding up?
He was training with a few of the 6ers while at North.
Cheers.

Reply #547949 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

8 is Sobey.

Kenyon had a bad shooting quarter but still looked confiden and continued to shoot it and hit a 3 and a nice drive. Looks to work really well with Gibson.

DJ still a scoring machine.

Sixers up by 30 intp last quarter

Reply #547950 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

36ers up 25 at 3/4 time.

Kenyon getting a bit more court time and is looking ok.

Number 8 (Development Player, Carlin or Johns?) is apparently been best...

Reply #547952 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Thanks KingJames...I thought Sobey was #20? Who is wearing #20 then?

Reply #547957 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

#20 I am not sure who he is but only played the last 20 seconds. The development players played majority of last quarter.

Carlin played with main group and didn't look out of place.

Sixers won 100 - 72

Reply #547959 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

No worries...thanks Kingjames.

So having watched the team, albeit despite their competition....what are your thoughts overall?

Reply #547960 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Appreciate the reports!

Reply #547962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched McNeail, and to be honest, both games i saw him, he wasn't impressive (for what is expected against low level competition) as an import. I have concerns there.

Ere was serviceable , looked to be going through the motions being it was a low level game. I think he will be good this season.

Gibbo was Gibbo, we all know what we get there, looked fresh.

Sobey was the pick of the crop today, crazy dunks and aggressive offensive offensive play. King James, I agree that he looks like a starter to me, but I think he looks a cross between Chris Goulding and Abercrombie as he has a good handle on the ball. He also displayed a nice looking jumper.

Hodgson was solid, very big, if he stays injury free, will help the lack of size. Had a sweet dunk.

Teys looked a little off, but I heard he just came off an ankle injury.

Carlin was solid and i'd say he will make a good role player this season.

DJ was awesome, the best stretch big in the league IMO.

There were some solid plays from other too, so it will be good to see the sixers match up on an NBL team soon

Reply #547977 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We pressed D pretty good and got freethrows in.
A few hundred out there....

Reply #547989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both imports had around 12 points each in probably around 15-20 mins each, which is solid enough imo, especially given neither were really trying to dominate offensively. I dont think they were on the floor together either.

Sobey was great, very athletic,

Hodgson should be a solid back up big, a big body and competes well inside at both ends.

Looking forward to seeing how we go in the real season

Reply #548006 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti:

Final btwn @Adelaide36ers & Pronghorns, 100-72. No stats taken but Sobey had 17, DJ 16; Brine 19 for Lethbridge.

Reply #548011 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Joey mixed up the development, staring 5 and bench. All seemed to transition well through the groups.. Looked all on the same page. Sobey #8 was everywhere both ends and quick quick quick. Seemed to like the fast transitions and had good vision. Hodgson #2 was a big surprise. Mobile, length plus, very clever and worked the perimeter on defence and stole the ball a few times with his reach. Worked hard on the boards both ends.. Was impressed by his mobility for a big, and he was big as in wide as well. nice pick up thats for sure and worked well with DJ who was shooting the perimeter nicely and with ease. Johns looking good. Peach was peach a was Teys and Gibbo but they were not the focus today. Ebi shot with ease and very smooth. Good leader on court. Kenyon better defender than Wilson and a lot cleaner. Lots of dribble drive still but Joey may be asking him to do that especially seeing him go 3/1 on the bigs which obviously did not work out well. Me thinks that may be a coaching issue. Hving said that he does pass well but still finding his feet by the looks with glimpses of what he can do. Should be okay when settled in. Walker was a little difficult to see him settle in with the combos he was on court with but looking aggressive and athletic. Good defence and effort from him as was with all the players.. Sobey and Hodgson great picks but he looks and will our holes left by Schench, Daly, Crawf and Wilson on their own. Others a bonus.

Reply #548017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

saw the Canadians at work today, I know there only kids but they said there were impressed with our imports and thought Johnson was a machine.

Reply #548094 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Tornado and Isaac you are both welcome.

Tornado my take away from that game was renewed optimism. The entire team looks like they have bought into the Perth hard noised aggressive type of play. We saw it in bits and pieces last year but I think this season it will be more consistent. Added to that it looks like we will play an up tempo game and trap full court with a very athletic team.

Also I think we have all under estimated how much value will be added with the depth of this team. We now have 9 players that are good enough start at other teams.

With those two factors in place other teams will have to play 40 quality minutes to beat us as this team will compete the entire 40 minutes.

I think Sixer fans should be excited by this team as they will play entertaining high scoring basketball.

Anonymous 547977 Your Golding/Abercrombie comparison is very correct! In regards, to McNeil what are you expecting from him? What I expect is for him to be able to handle the ball, set up the offense, pass well, play good defense and hit the 3. Yesterday's game showed he ticked all those boxes. In fact, he came on and within 1 minute he had already got 2 assist and hit a 3. His ball handling (other than when he drove a couple of times and lost it) was a lot better then what I was expecting and so is his passing. I think he will be used as the point guard with Gibson playing shooting guard. He was probably 2-5/6 from 3 yesterday but he looks very confident shooting it and other teams will have to respect that. If people are expecting him to be some flashy import that will dominate and score 15-20ppg then they are going to be disappointed. I believe he was selected to fill a role and that is exactly what he will do.

Reply #548211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd ease up on the Sobey hysteria until you play a real team boys!

Reply #548228 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

All we are saying is that he has a similar game style. We aren't say he is as talented as those two players.

Reply #548247 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:38 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754