Anonymous
Years ago

Rec Centre canteens

Hey guys, just wondering what you all think makes a stadiums canteen/ kiosk stand out from the rest.

Does variety matter? Cheap prices? What are you happy to pay for a Powerade or bottle of water? What do you want to be able to buy while watching your kids play? How important is having some hot options like chips/ pies etc to you. What's the coolest thing you've ever seen stocked at a canteen at an Adelaide stadium? Do you bring food/ drinks from home, and if so, what would need to be available at the canteen to buy at the stadium instead?

Cheers for any input. Would be very welcomed

Topic #37864 | Report this topic

Years ago

will buy water etc at stadium.

I am a big believer in healthy stuff - which is a difficult ask for stadiums to keep - so the ones that stock sandwiches and fruit salad etc from villis are the go.

However there is that appeal for the big carb load from the deep fry or a sugar fix for the kids.

No matter what ideals we have - if a deep fry and bucket of chips are there - they will sell.

Definitely a good coffee machine in this day and age.

Reply #547414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In general Basketball Stadium canteens rank up there with McDonald's as the most unhealthiest place to get food from which is weird considering Sport is supposed to be a healthy past time.

Its time Associations spent more time ensuring their are healthier options for people wanting to avoid eating garbage.

Reply #547425 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

More importantly, are the Associations actually the controlling body, because I think you may find that the owners of the stadiums are usually the caretakers and providers of the canteens.

They also rake in the cash of course, leaving the Associations to take on the complaints, unfairly in most cases...

Asking this question with reference to local councils or the private business consortium actually responsible for the food and drinks in canteens would be just as important to consider when this topic comes up.

Reply #547430 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Depending on who owns a rec centre the canteen space is usually leased out and it's a private business that chooses to run it.

It's not about supplying healthy food, it's about supplying what people will pay money for. And hot chips and sausage rolls always sell.

Healthy options will always be welcomed by some, but your bread winner will always be the dirty stuff.

Reply #547451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hillcrest and Port Adelaide have yummy hot dogs!

Reply #547454 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

All opinions welcome from me too. I'm looking to set up a Rec Centre Cafe in the next couple of years. Thanks Anon for starting the topic.

Reply #547455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mars chips are fairly decent! Wayville and Pasadena best range of foods.

Reply #547478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to most stadiums in Melbourne and it's a lard arses paradise, 95% sugar or fried..

Seriously, most Associations here have control over their food, got no issues providing crap for those who dont care about their health but for gods sake provide some healthy options too.

Reply #547480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's wrong with bringing a banana or some other fruit as snacks for the kids. Most of the time a night at the basketball is viewed like going to the movies etc, having a bag of red frogs or a hot dog in moderation is fine. It's when parents use that as regular nutrition is when we start getting some boom bahs.
If not bring your own food, one night I watched with fascination when a family unloaded a picnic hamper for tea when they must have had a younger kid play and then an older one later. They had nearly a 3 course meal set up on the seats of court 1 at Pasadena.

Reply #547482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Hillcrest still have those massive donuts?

Reply #547489 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'480, might be creative ways to get around i for healthy equivalents, but something like chips you can keep frozen, fry, then warm. Ingredients for salads or sandwiches generally need to be fresh and look visibly tired if past it.

Coupled with the fact that most people will buy what they crave, you get what we've got.

I eat chips at the Dome but avoid pizza and whatever else. Always wish they had some Asian options - rice, noodles, etc.

Reply #547500 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I wish Subway would connect with every major Association as a sponsor and install a small one or two person kiosk inside all of them and be done with it...

Reply #547501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A good Hot Dog

Reply #547511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would it be that hard to sell protein bars and protein drinks for starters?

Taking a scientific approach to nutrition would suggest what anyone puts in their mouths the first hour after exercise is very important.

Reply #547513 | Report this post

Baller for Life  
Years ago

I wouldnt mind a few apples and banana's or fruit salad for carnivals . A good barrista brewed coffee with long spoons or long paddles for the large cups .A easy to use sugar and lid area with a rubbish bin is good when you need to rush in and off to court .But then when you are rushing straight to stadium and you need a stomach full ,some chips or hot dogs are fine .Some sandwiches like OTR have in packaging will do .If you can get the staminade bottles without the foil seal would be good .Ends up as rubbish never put in bins .Always have bags of frozen ice for the injuries on the standby .

Reply #548301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:30 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754