Anonymous
Years ago

Forestville Men a shoe-in

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Topic #3787 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I might be wrong, but isn't the grand final on the 13th, the day before?

Reply #44127 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Yes, I believe it is Isaac.

Reply #44130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still if they are playing sunday they won't be playing saturday night

wouldn't they fly in with the team on saturday

Reply #44136 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

if this is the case....i think there is a very strong case for bringing the grand ginal to the friday or even thursday night....we have to have the best players playing.....i would really hope a proud club like forestville would be willing to bring the game forward, they would not want a shallow grand final victory would they??

Reply #44139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does that mean gertrude, that the womens grand final should be played on a later date, to allow all of the eagles players to play??? :P :P

Reply #44143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't we solve all this stuff after the debacle of 2 years ago?

Reply #44147 | Report this post

howso  
Years ago

i thought running BASA and the 6ers together should stop stuff like this happening??

Reply #44161 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

nope.

Reply #44186 | Report this post

white guy  
Years ago

obviously not

Reply #44187 | Report this post

indiana  
Years ago

Always going to play second fiddle to the big guys.

Reply #44189 | Report this post

Moscow  
Years ago

I heard that this game in Perth was only organised a few weeks ago. Surely the sixers realised the dates were clashing with the CABL final. I guess this is why the CABL is not regarded as a legitimate league. On weather or not forestville should change the date of the game. Why should they. They have played the whole year without a sixer in the team and done well, why should they allow teams to change the date that have cdompeted for.

Reply #44196 | Report this post

think about it  
Years ago

IMO playing a grand final on a thursday or friday night is not an option. Apart from west scheduling a couple of games on a friday night this year, no one has played at that time so you can't expect people to do it for a once off for a grand final.

And anyway, if they are playing on sunday, surely the player could be flown in sunday morning...it's only a pre season match after all.

Reply #44199 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I agree, its a meaningless pre season match for the Sixers compared to the climax of a great season for the ABL grand finalists. ABL has to be taken more seriously and given the respect it deserves, after all, its only 1 level below the NBL and where many future NBL players will come from. Besides that, I am bitter about the fact that so much pre season activity in the NBL is happening everywhere else in Australia and overseas but not in Adelaide. If they can't bring any of these activities here, let us atleast enjoy the end of the ABL season with all its players participating in the final.

Reply #44211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sixers would take precedence over ABL surely

Reply #44212 | Report this post

pioneer  
Years ago

so tell me, where does the NBL find its players? Do they fall off trees. Someone has to nurture, spend time, money effort.....it sure as hell ain't the NBL clubs. Shhheesshhh!!!!

Reply #44217 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, I emailed the Sixers to suggest a 'Taking it to the Streets' series of three public scrimmages at local clubs (e.g., three out of Pasadena, Wayville, Mt Barker, Starplex, etc). Maybe $8 for adults, $4 children; proceeds split between the club and the Sixers (to give the club incentive to promote it, and the Sixers incentive to show up).

As far as I am aware, the Sixers make appearances at schools, but not really with clubs (schools may pay (more)?). The former would surely build up basic interest in the sport for future growth, but the latter would have a higher strike rate (100% basketball players) and could convert families to Dome-attendees at a better rate.

I strongly believe that they should have a better presence in the local stadia to bring back crowds.

Reply #44221 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Update for this thread -- the pre-season games in Perth are on the 13th, 14th and 15th, thus cutting straight into the ABA grand final. Ouch.

Quotes in the paper today from Woodville and Sturt presidents expressing their disappointment.

There is a Sixers pre-season game in Adelaide on the 21st against Melbourne.

Reply #44230 | Report this post

Little Trevor  
Years ago

Sixers v Melbourne in Millicent.

Isaac, is this still a go-er, or has this game already been played?

I heard it was happening around the same time as the trial in adelaide.

Reply #44246 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti said something about those games going ahead. I think the schedule is Sixers vs Perth 13/14/15 in Perth (14th is the Ricky Grace game), then 17/18 or something in Millicent, then 21st in Adelaide or whatever it was (someone else in the office has the paper right now).

Reply #44251 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

For 2 years running there's been nothing in the preseason for Adelaide fans to enjoy. Now they even stuff up the ABL by taking away players that have played all season to bring their team to the finals. That is very unfair for the teams involved. A lot of people have put it so much blood, sweat and tears into getting this far. As far as I'm concerned, the Sixers should be told NO its not on. The finals have been scheduled long enough for other plans to be worked around them.

Reply #44318 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If Sturt or Woodville make the grand final and the Perth games are on the 13th 14th & 15th, there is no reason why Oscar or Reesy can't play the ABL grand final and just miss the 1st game in Perth. They can fly out on the 14th and still have 2 games they can participate in. As it is its not likely that all the Sixers will play all 3 games and especially not major minutes in all 3 so why not give these 2 players the 1st game off. It will satisfy both the ABL and they will still meet their Sixers' commitments. Also gaining a caring reputation won't do them too much harm either.

Reply #44366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

caring reputation with the abl yes

caring rep with the sixers coaching staff i don't think so

face it the sixers are their paid employment

however unfortunate it is they do need to fulfil their national league duty and if for example they weren't match ready at that level because they had missed the training games the running of offenses etc wouldn't the fans be a bit annoyed that they had remained to play a lower level

it really is a catch 22

Reply #44382 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:05 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754