Slammin'08
Years ago

New sponsors for NBL announced

The new-look National Basketball League continues to excite the sporting world with the announcement today of leading US athletic products McDavid and Shock Doctor as major sponsors. McDavid will be the 'Official Compression Apparel of the NBL' and Shock Doctor will be the ‘Official Mouth Guard of the NBL.’

More at the link

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/nbl-signs-major-league-athletic-suppliers-as-sponsors/

Topic #37884 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

Already a Shock Doctor customer, they seem to make a quality product, have not heard of McDavid but will check them out now...

Reply #548039 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Lets play a game, if announcing a no-name compression gear manufacturer and a mouth guard supplier warrant "exciting the sporting world" what would the announcement of a $2m dollar per annum naming rights sponsor demand...?

How about....

"In the most important partnership announcement ever made in Australian sporting history the NBL today..."

Reply #548041 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Replace NBL with AFL and you have it HO...

Reply #548044 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Wouldn't say McDavid are no name. They are pretty big in the states. good pick up for NBL in my opinion

Reply #548049 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HO, I thought Slammin was taking the piss, but that's a direct quote. They really need to leave themselves room to move with the gusto.

Reply #548052 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

That's exactly what I am saying Gusto....

Reply #548054 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Most NBA players wear McDavid, great pick up by the L

Reply #548055 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Dwade, Kobe, Curry all wear McDavid. No name pfft!!

Reply #548056 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac I forgot the "quotation marks"!

Reply #548060 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

So after a quick bit of research (i.e. going to http://www.mcdavidusa.com/) it would appear as if the overhype is even more overhyped then first thought. McDavid inc. and Shock Doctor are one and the same (merged earlier this year). http://www.mcdavidusa.com/newsroom/mcdavid-inc-and-shock-doctor-sports-finalize-merger

That's like saying I got sponsored by Kraft and Vegemite.

Reply #548062 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

They may have merged and one has ownership of the other, but when it comes to the separate things they provide, they go by separate names. I think this is a good deal. Because neither company (or this company if you like) is strong in the US, but have no footprint in Australia, it means they have faith in the NBL, and are perhaps providing some money for this?

I am interested in this quote:

"As part of the agreement, McDavid will receive naming rights to digital content pushed out via the NBL's new content channels which will track the recovery of the league’s injured stars, giving McDavid valuable brand recognition among the significant NBL fan base."

Which new content channels? Will this be like in the NBA where you get a quick, in game update with the logo popping up saying "brought to you by such and such"? That does sound cool to me. Better way to incorporate sponsors rather than just make uniforms and courts ugly

Reply #548066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wear mcdavid by choice or because they're paid to?

Reply #548067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way Nike would be okay with Kobe not wearing their compression stuff surely? Same as Steph with under armour?

Reply #548068 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

"most NBA players wear McDavid"... are you writing the NBL's press releases Benno?

Reply #548074 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=kobe+bryant+mcdavid&sa=X&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=903&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCOj31Nr83McCFWPlpgod370Omw#imgrc=sV_UR0DlotOGLM%3A]]

Image of Lebron wearing McDavid

Reply #548079 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Sorry. this one

http://www.gobros.com/mcdavid/images/mcdavid-basketball_lebron_james.jpg

Reply #548080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jason Derulo also wears them.

Reply #548081 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

^really? wow.

Reply #548089 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

This may sound ignorant but if this means that the compression garments can be in the team colours and look like an extension of the uniform then great, but if not then it will still look damn ugly

Reply #548096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange that not long ago there is / was a FIBA rule about wearing compression clothing under your uniform. Another LK rule change?

Reply #548098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the NBL is going to be rough and tough like the slogan is saying it will be then they better put on all the armor they can wear!

Reply #548102 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The McDavid knee straps are really common. I had one and it was a great product.

I'm sure you know the one i'm talking about.

Reply #548104 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Soooo people are annoyed that the nbl has gathered further sponsors?? Bloody hard to impress basketball fans. Mcdavid have been around for years, the league have done well to partner up. Most positive off season in many years. Im excited for this season and the foundation being built!

Reply #548108 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

I can't believe some of the problems people find in all of this. That Clinton Gardiner dick head has been trolling all over facebook about the changes, but really he is butt-hurt that he cant affored foxtel. People just talk a whole lot of shit. So far, LK has done the best job humanly possible. three months ago Gaze wanted the league shut down

Reply #548114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel in jail?

Reply #548116 | Report this post

Nix36  
Years ago

If the product is legal and ethical and they want to give money to the NBL then we should all welcome every sponsor that is announced.

Reply #548123 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Kbe24, were some posts deleted? I can't see anyone annoyed about the sponsor?

Reply #548137 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Few taking the piss... but qny money injected in the comp is good money.

Reply #548142 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

As above - McDavid have been around for donkeys' years. I have a 25 year old ankle brace of theirs around the house somewhere. Still good.

A big criticism of past NBL administrations has been that they did too little to market the product (NBL). Now the current ownership is doing exactly that. So what if it's almost all hyperbole and more sizzle than steak? That's what 95% of marketing is. Its purpose is to get attention, not to pass a reality check. On that front, this announcement has worked, as this thread clearly shows.

Reply #548167 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

As above - McDavid have been around for donkeys' years. I have a 25 year old ankle brace of theirs around the house somewhere. Still good.

A big criticism of past NBL administrations has been that they did too little to market the product (NBL). Now the current ownership is doing exactly that. So what if it's almost all hyperbole and more sizzle than steak? That's what 95% of marketing is. Its purpose is to get attention, not to pass a reality check. On that front, this announcement has worked, as this thread clearly shows.

Reply #548169 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

?? PeterJohn. 12 basketball people discussing it on a forum is a poor measure of success - nothing clear about it at all. That might also account for why you think 95% of marketing is hyperbole and sizzle!

Reply #548177 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

I think NBL fans are so used to complaining that they can't break the habit even when they have nothing to complain about.

Reply #548186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha So true! ^

Reply #548222 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Who cares, its another sponsor that they did not have before. The more of these deals your have, no matter how small, just gives the impression of a more professional operation.

Reply #548223 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:29 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754