Train
Years ago

Perth's Membership Numbers

"Georgiu said Perth had secured about 400 more members than at the same stage last year in its quest to improve on last season's tally of 9631"

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/breaking-news/perth-wildcats-confident-new-nbl-tv-deal-wont-hurt-perth-arena-crowds/story-fnect155-1227514128831

From memory they had close to 8000 members at the same time last year so great effort to retain those numbers and improve slightly. I actually thought that after last season the numbers would of dropped slightly.

Topic #37899 | Report this topic

My guess is some creative accounting has gone on there.

Reply #548253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^

What makes you say that?

Reply #548254 | Report this post

Wait, my bad. I misread the comment posted above.

The article in the actual paper is worded differently. It indicates they have improved on the 9600 number from last year by 400.

Reply #548256 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

No that's not how it reads. I pasted the comment straight from the article. :) They have improved on the membership numbers by 400 in comparison to what they were sane time last year which was about 7600. By the end of the season last year they had a total of 9631 as they had sold a fair few part season memberships.

Reply #548262 | Report this post

Yep I'm with you. Check the Sunday Times though. Very different sentence at the end of the article.

Reply #548264 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Ah ok gotcha :P

Reply #548266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does the Sunday Times article say differently?

In any case, this sounds like pleasantly surprising news.

From reading forums and whatnot, you would've thought there would be a bit of a decline after all the complaining about price rises and a boring season last year etc.

Was it a case of:

- the people who were unhappy voiced their opinion in forums but still accounted for a very small minority; or

- there were actually a lot of people who were unhappy and didn't renew but they have now jumped on board thanks to the hype train of new NBL ownership, general league and Wildcat big name signings; or

- similar to the above, but new fans have jumped on board to replace the exiting members.

The way Perth's pricing structure works whereby it is considerably cheaper to renew membership as opposed to join as a new member, you want to make sure about your decision if you decide to get rid of your membership as you'll pay a premium to get back in.

I'm surprised more people who whinged about the price change didn't just switch to a cheaper seating class (i.e. CC to Gold or Gold to Silver). You still get a lot of the game-night enjoyment from the cheaper seats.

Reply #548267 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

How can you be upset when they have one of two regular Boomers. Jawai will suprise a lot of people.

Reply #548271 | Report this post

The prices were listed long before Jawai was on the radar. People were pissed that there was another price rise after a not so exciting season.

The Sunday Times printed...

"Georgiu said the Wildcats had secured 400 more members than last year, improving on its 2014 tally of 9631"

Reply #548279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Georgiu said the Wildcats had secured 400 more members than last year, improving on its 2014 tally of 9631

Doesn't that mean they now have 10,031 Members??

Reply #548281 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If it were correct, then yes, but it appears to be a mistake given it's been corrected in the online version.

Reply #548284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had this idea that numbers would have declined due to my own waning interest of attending Cats home games, but almost 10,000 is a really damn good effort.

Reply #548288 | Report this post

Yes the print version was wrong.

Last year, they had 9600 members for the season.

currently, they have 400 more members than they did at this point last year. That current figure is unknown though.

Reply #548295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think I recall the Cats having a membership counter on their website last season to kind of build awareness of their building momentum but it has disappeared this year. I thought this was because of poor membership numbers but if this article is on the money then I guess I'm wrong.

Reply #548302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they rerated their crowd figures from last season to get a better outcome.

Reply #548309 | Report this post

^ Zing!!

Reply #548310 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Ive already started to notice the banners and bus stop signs going up around the Perth CBD. Looking forward to seeing some ball again!

I too like many thought the Memberships would go down but its awesome they are going up. The Mining Boom is more or less over so I thought there would of been some memberships lost there.

Reply #548453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ive already started to notice the banners and bus stop signs going up around the Perth CBD"

Where exactly have you seen these mate, just curious?

Reply #548485 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Up past Barrack Street near the Museum there was one of those sliding ones at a Bus stop, and just before the Socceroos thing went up on Hay Street Mall there was one there, but it hasnt gone back up yet.

Reply #548544 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:51 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754