Anonymous
Years ago

Corey Webster gets NBA trial with Pelicans

Corey Webster has an nba trial with New Orleans. He flew out Friday. Big lad for breakers if he makes it

Topic #37902 | Report this topic

Sean  
Years ago

Big credit to the Breakers development system and also to him for making the most of his 2nd chance after being suspended in 2011 for a year. Still only 25

I hope he makes it, the guy can get buckets!!!

Reply #548291 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Internet karma. Well done to Webster has gone up a whole other level last year or so, really playing like a marquee type. Good luck to him, this is only another win for the NBL too. The right people are starting to take notice.

Reply #548292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the breakers contingency plan of he makes it to nba?

If he doesn't i hope the breakers pay him a bucketload to keep a great talent in our league

Reply #548294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't get carried away just yet he failed to make the Pacers summer league team a couple of months ago.

Reply #548304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah his chances of making the USANBA aren't great but it's nice that he is on their radar

Reply #548313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Less than a month out til the season isn't it, if a team is wanting to have a look at you now they're serious about you

Reply #548324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This comes after some very good international games, I wouldn't say "people are starting to take notice of the NBL" lol

Reply #548325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not exactly. He hasn't even been signed by anyone and a lot of NBA teams sign guys for training camp with almost zero intention of keeping them once the regular season starts.

For the most part if you're in an NBA teams plans you've already been signed long ago. Sure if he impresses and then gets signed it afford him the opportunity to try and impress in training camp knowing full well he would be unlikely to make the final team.

Why do you think guys like Brock Motum walk away from 2 year deals with NBA teams to go play in Europe or say China? Because they know the deals are only partially guaranteed, they've unlikely to make the roster anyway and by the time they get cut the top paying gigs elsewhere have been taken.

Reply #548336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean anbl

Reply #548351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis? Wilbekin? Nope, no one taking notice of the NBL.

Reply #548362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two half decent players, one who was drafted prior to playing in the NBL, doesn't mean decent leagues care anymore than they ever did.

Those players were known well before seeing as they played college in America.

If you mean big leagues actually know we have a (apparently) professional league then I guess youre right

Reply #548364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big leagues have known for long time, it's been a recruiting ground for Europe for a while. Now lots of guys are getting NBA workouts, summer league spots, even training camp invites and contracts. Lots of people are paying attention, just not you.

Reply #548365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of American college players who come play here get looks
Lots of NBA second round draftees get looks
Local lads getting many offers??

Reply #548385 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

So it's Pelicans.

Reply #548395 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Local lads getting many offers??"

Khazzouh, Webster, Goulding and Abercrombie in recent times have all had interest (not to mention Newley, Jawai and Ingles in the span before that). Add that to the likes of McRae, Ennis, Wilbekin and Jackson in recent times and it's pretty clear the NBL is monitored.

Of course, the NBL has been monitored for a long, long time, anyone who even remotely follows the NBA would know that by seeing draft picks and free agent signings.

Reply #548407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McRae, Ennis, Wilbekin and Jackson

All Australians coming through the abl, into the NBL and getting looked at are they?

Stop naming players from America who teams already knew about. Tell me a diamond in the rough that got picked up

Reply #548414 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Go back and read again, I listed the Aus and Kiwi players from the NBL who have received interest - seven in the past eight years in fact.

If you're only retort is deliberately misreading posts it suggests your case is a weak one.

Reply #548417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You listed a ton of Aussies who have played overseas and have been looked at.

Lots of training camp offers but as people have pointed out in this thread that doesn't even mean they have any interest in signing those players

When was the last Aussie picked up by the NBA with only NBL experience. Andrew gaze?

Reply #548423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricky Grace was one. Got a call up from the Atlanta Hawks and did a great job.

Reply #548428 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon, I believe the last one was Jawai.

Reply #548430 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"You listed a ton of Aussies who have played overseas and have been looked at."

Actually, the seven guys I listed were all either drafted, signed for summer league, workouts or veterans camp directly from the NBL.

Reply #548433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But had played overseas?

Reply #548435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Goulding has only played a year in Spain and that's it ^

Reply #548436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just saw brad Newley was drafted to the NBA while playing in the NBL. Is this the only example of that happening?

Reply #548438 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Newley - drafted from the NBL
Jawai - drafted from the NBL
Ingles - workouts after his final NBL season
Khazzouh - veterans camp directly from the NBL
Abercrombie - summer league directly from the NBL
Goulding - summer league directly from the NBL
Webster - workouts from the NBL and a short stint in Serbia

Reply #548441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For some reason i always thought Nate got drafted out of college.

Reply #548443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I realise players get picked up from the NBL all the time. Didn't actually know players had been drafted out of the NBL though!

Reply #548444 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From memory Chris Anstey, Ben Pepper, Brad Newley and Nate Jawai are the ones who have been drafted from the NBL. There may be others but can't think of any.

Reply #548448 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Shane Heal is another that went straight from the NBL to the NBA (albeit more on the back of his exploits in national colours standing up against Barkley and the Dream Team in a warm up game prior to the '96 Olympics).

Reply #548449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze had played in Greece & Italy before being signed by Washington, not that that means anything.

Jawai played college ball in the US (briefly) but Newley (drafted by Houston) and Goulding (Dallas summer league team last season before signing in Spain) both came out of the NBL.

CJ Bruton & Paul Rogers were also drafted.

Reply #548479 | Report this post

ASternWarning  
Years ago

Paul Rogers, CJ Bruton and Ater Majok all were NBA Draft picks after being on NBL rosters.

Others that immediately come to mind jumping to NBA after NBL experience include Doug Overton, David Andersen, Shane Heal and Mark Bradtke. Simon Dwight had interest too.

All of course have different stories as to background and stage of career.

Reply #548480 | Report this post

ASternWarning  
Years ago

...and Rick Brunson.

Reply #548481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Former Hobart import Donald Whiteside went onto play in the NBA after the NBL too.

Reply #548483 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

at least Corey is trying out for a spot that actually exists with New Orleans and he is well suited to that role, instant offence off the bench.

Good luck to him, hopefully one more Kiwi in the big league although he has his work cut out for him.

If he does get a look in it will leave the Breakers fairly short for options to replace his offensive output.
NZ are already resigned to the fact Pledger is unlikely to be much help for the first month or two of the season as he rehabs his foot but luckily have the services of 17yo DP Tai Wynyard before he jets off to Lexington Kentucky at the end of the year for College.
Unfortunately there is no one of that caliber to fill in for Corey.

Reply #548520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey MYSTRO maybe we can bring Corletto back he could fill in for a season or two.

Reply #548534 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Corletto is playing in the U.K (United Kingdom not University of Kentucky) as is BJ Anthony.

Kirk Penney would have been nice.....

Reply #548543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doug Overton

Reply #548550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it would be easier to get Corletto back for now I think a lot of the fans would love that.I for one would like to have him back great fan favourite and I think he would like to come back.

Reply #548552 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Webster to good to be in the NBL ATM.

Reply #548557 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Hope Webster makes it to the NBA.

Its great to see someone who has made mistakes in the past redeem himself.

Reply #548567 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

With Webster trying out will he miss any of the NBL season should he not make it?

Good luck to him either way, hopefully luck is on his side and he makes the most of his opportunity.

Reply #548605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corletto or maybe everand Bartlett.

Shane McDonald signing will come under more scrutiny. Is he better tha shea? Z

Reply #548650 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

If Webster leaves it will free up a ton of cash as he recently signed a new deal to keep him out of Europe but what local stud SG's are on the market?

You cannot replace a player of Corey's talent with Everard Bartlett.....

That's assuming Corey makes it to the Pelicans squad of course, offensively there shouldn't be an issue but defensively he isn't big and athletic SG's will just shoot over him.

Reply #548658 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

From what I'm hearing/reading, Rueben TeRangi will be starting at SG and Shea Ili will be playing some back up minutes for Jackson with McDonald also playing some SG while Webster is away.

If he isn't returning and Ili doesn't step up, NZ will look to sign someone to play back up SG for the rest of the season.

Reply #548662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could they cut the new import centre and sign an import guard? Ennis might be in the market by then?

Reply #548688 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ennis will for sure be in the market, not looking good for him at Miami. Still can't see Webster getting anything more than a foot in the door here, to sign would be a massive leap. Stranger things have happened though.

Reply #548689 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Great news for Corey.

If Corey was in Tai's body he would be a legit NBA player.

Tai is 6"4, quick and athletic. Corey is 6"1ish and not quite the same lean and athletic build.

Heal said it best - he is a world class scorer.

He has that mentality as if 'i can get buckets on you' no matter who is guarding him..doesn't seem to be phased coming up against renowed defenders and is still confident of getting shots as he likes.

Reply #548697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being 6 foot never stopped AI from being successful ;)

Reply #548711 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

AI was fast as shit and athletic as hell

Reply #548714 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:50 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754