Anonymous
Years ago

NH: Jarrad Hayne makes San Francisco 49ers roster

He has made the final-cut, an amazing effort. I had always thought NFL players were a class above in terms of their physical and athletic abilities than NRL players but I've been proven wrong here.

Somewhat topical given Hugh Greenwood's recent decision to switch sports.

Topic #37903 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, I should've tagged that Offtopic - mods please feel free to amend as required.

Reply #548303 | Report this post

Centipede  
Years ago

Hayne is the nrls best athlete, next to no one else would make it.

Reply #548305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of athletes in league in the same class as hayne

Reply #548316 | Report this post

Ben G  
Years ago

Inglis and Tuivasa-Sheck are obvious candidates for blokes who could make it. The NFL people are also amazed at Hayne's range of skills, not just open field running and they haven't even seen him punt yet.

Reply #548318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not having a go but were any of the practice games played at the intensity of a real season game? From what I've seen of him (which admittedly isn't much) he'll be good no matter (obviously or he wouldn't have made the squad) what but will he be as good as he was in the practice games during the real season? Genuine question, wish him all the best

Reply #548322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw izzy folau and karmichael hunt try their hand at footy and they were pretty clueless and clumsy. Hayne must be in a different class

Reply #548329 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Because AFL is more than just catching a ball and running forwards as far as you can before you get tackled.

Reply #548331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't compare afl with nfl. two very different sports. One is played in a ROUND oval and the other is played in a Rectangle.

Simple minds make simple comments.

Reply #548340 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Can't wait for the NFL season to start, hope he gets a run during the season, great effort and I wish him well...

Reply #548343 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I think given the games are somewhat similar in how the mechanics work its a much smoother transition than NRL to AFL. Great effort but just remember unlike here or other US sports they have no guaranteed contracts so he could get cut at anytime. I think its helped him that he is basically special teams, its not a popular position for the most part and he can focus on running in the open which is similar to what he is used to.

Reply #548345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is used to faceing a straight line line in league, in Gridiron he'll get stagged lines with the benefits of blockers.

In summary, he'll destroy.

Oh and anon AFL fanboi, get back to us when someone who isn't just a lowly punter from your game makes it.

PS. Hayne could punt as well.

Reply #548376 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I am surprised more NRL players don't give it a go.

Gridiron is more aligned to union and league than Australian football. Aussie Rules players make better punters as they are used to kicking, but gridiron is pretty much a league style of play/concept.

The interesting thing about Hayne is that he will bring a rugby style to the game in avoiding tackles by zig zagging to advance the ball by running, or else the physical charge approach by running into players to force the tackle.

The other point to note with gridiron is that they get one pass forward, but unlimited passes backwards (like rugby). The whole point is to get a touchdown, but they get 6 attempts to advance 10 yards. The safe strategy is to secure your 10 yard advance, then work on the next 10 yards etc until you cross the end zone.

The strategy slows the game down and an 80 minute of play game takes forever to play with all the stops and starts.

But what if (once you secured the 10 yard advance) a team kept the ball alive and go for the touchdown.

I think he'll actually shake up the strategy of the game a bit.

Reply #548451 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Whoever above said Hayne is the only NRL player athletic enough to make this transition needs to be laughed off the internet.

Reply #548493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Equally as much as the one who said "Plenty of athletes in league in the same class as hayne"

Neither statement is true. There are others but I wouldn't say "plenty" of players have the diversity of skills to go along with the athleticism. Hayne was in the very top tier of NRL players

As to how many would have the stones to go over there and give it a crack....that's a much smaller group.

Reply #548497 | Report this post

Hugh Greenwood has just quit the Crows to try out with the Cleveland Browns.

Reply #548498 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

a lot of armchair critics without the slightest idea of how tough it is to crack the NFL playing group..
consider the participants as chess pieces built to play each specific position with their non-negotiable size and skill set
for Hayne to get a gig is astounding..
give credit where it's due..stones and all

Reply #548501 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I would say a majority of players don't try and cross over due to how difficult it is and the fact they would be taking a pay cut.

Reply #548524 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

You will barely hear his name. I feel sorry for the guy because he is being sooo inflated in Australia that if or when he crashes it will crush him. I honestly saw a story headline that said he was the biggest story in America NFL right now...ummm I think deflate gate might have him beat.

Reply #548602 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

They talk about him almost everyday on the US PTI and the other ESPN talk show, Mike and something.... One of the PTI guys called him the story of the offseason. The 9ers were using him on there promotional material all preseason and he made the Sports centre top ten a few times. although its only preseason, they are still talking about him over there.

Reply #548606 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

What I am about to post must be taken in the right context, I am in no way making any comparison to this level of athleticism or skil, but I want to add my little bit of experience to the argument as an opinion with at least something to back it up with.

Having played both AFL style football (not in the AFL) and having played gridiron (of course not in the NFL), but doing these together over a few years at local level I have to say that although it looks remarkable that he has made an NFL roster, it is not without some level of expectation.

he must have given himself a chance, and that is the key here, he gave it a chance and had a good old fashioned go at it.

Going back a way, I always though Garry Ablett snr would have been a great full back in the NFL, certainly his some Garry jnr could have performed as a running back, so too could have someone like Billy Slater in my opinion.

Yes, the sports are different, but if you have someone that good athletically/powerful and he has a passion with the drive to have a real crack at the NFL, I can see others down the track that could do it also.

Good for Jarrad and I hope he does get a decent run this season, his jersey's are the number one selling tops for the SF 9'ers right now, so I am loving the media interest, all positive to me...

Reply #548607 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754