Anonymous
Years ago

Juniors: Too easy to get a kit?

As my kids have progressed through the ranks of basketball, one of the things I've been shocked by is how flippant the state and national bodies are with handing out uniforms.

Make a state school team and you get a Victoria uniform

Next comes SCC and you get Vic Metro uniforms

Then comes NITP - more Vic Metro

All of this before making a real state team.

Next comes the green & gold that comes with making NPP. Why do you get a green and gold kit when you are not in a national team?

Sure kids love prancing around in this stuff, but shouldn't state and national uniforms be cherished?

Many of the kids running around in Vic Metro kit or NPP kit will never make a state or national team. I can't help thinking this is part of our culture where everyone get s a medal.

Topic #37907 | Report this topic

Years ago

they should be correctly labelled - i.e.

instead of "xxxxx" state - it should say "xxxxx training squad 2015"

or "xxxxx 2015 NITP"

or "australia 2015 u23 squad" etc

they have earnt the squad selection so they have the right to whatever comes with that.

Reply #548383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh so sorry my kid made state/ national team. That played against another kid from another state/country. The more kids that play with confidence commitment and courage the better. If a few kids get to wear a state/national singlet along the journey and don't end up at the top what harm is done.

Oh that's right we must not let anyone dare to remember the one time they played for the state, because you didn't. Or you did and are so full of your sanctimonious self important selfishness you don't remember how you felt when you made the squad.

Should be more opportunities and more state squads.

Reply #548391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem with kids being given these uniforms is it gives their parents an unrealistic view of what level their child is at. It makes it incredibly difficult to then deal with them back at club level. Especially when they don't make the teams they think they should.

Reply #548393 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Or you could get the opposite, with kids who use the uniforms for training when they are needed to wear them and then pretty much keep them in the wardrobe until they them selves have kids who can then ask about them and enjoy some memories with their mum or dad before they get their turn...

These uniforms the OP is refering to are just that, training uniforms, I think they are not that easy to get and so what if they represent the State or National program, that's the level that kid got to, doesn't say they played with the Boomers or Opals, relax man, you make my head hurt!

Reply #548399 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

My son has been and is in NPP and we have never been given any kind of uniform for NPP. They wear there nitp uniform. Which state gets a green and gold uniform for NPP?

Reply #548403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's worse when you see people parading around in BA stuff on a Friday night when they are performing either BV or VJBL duties too.

Reply #548411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is this parading around BS, are you being a little jealous? If they are parading around, why don't you go up to one of them and say you think they should be playing down the fact they are better than you and you don't like it because you think they should be wearing something you like rather than what they like anon!

Reply #548419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're there performing official duties for BV or VJBL wear BV or VJBL gear.. Its not that difficult.

Reply #548424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rather than make up a public post about it, go up to them and tell them your feelings anon, it's not that difficult.

Reply #548425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is then up to their club to enforce their uniform policy.
But it's good to see the OP dealing with the really big issues in basketball...

Reply #548431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is this any different to Parents that happen to be Coaches turning up to their kids Big V Youth League games , wearing an Australian Coaching uniform (every week)or a Ref Supervisors doing the same at Friday Night Juniors games?

Reply #548432 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

I love these threads.....first world problems.

Reply #548445 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Humblebrag

Reply #548446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As Bear stated I am fully aware of players who have NITP and NPP uniforms and only wear then to official training sessions. This is what they are given for after all

However I know of players who wear their NITP uniforms for every training session they have , Domestic, Rep and even school training...

I am a Team Manager and have told all of my players if they turn up to try outs ( happening now ) in Vic NITP or NPP training uniforms they are intimidating to others and I will have plain singlets available so they can change.

The coaches all know who they are and if they are in NITP or NPP you would think they should stand out.

Reply #548459 | Report this post

Years ago

it is no different than people wearing college or AFL gear - it's just attire.

But they should be correctly labelled.

Reply #548462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a team manager you don't have any players. I'd tell you to get stuffed.

Reply #548464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wtf^?

Reply #548468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah and all these people walking around town in NBA jerseys. They didnt earn them, they just put over $100 and bought it. We should only wear what we earn.

Reply #548474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ There's a big difference between wearing whatever you like when you have no official or active role i.e spectator to being there in an official capacity and "out of uniform".. i.e for example Coaching a team and wearing a NBL Club top...

If you're there on official duties, be that player, coach or official, just wear clothing identifying who you're there to represent.

Most clubs enforce a uniform policy.

i.e Club top to coach in or VJBL stuff if you're there to represent the league..

Clearly this is too hard for some to grasp.

Reply #548476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow pretty unfair comments, I think the OP has a legitimate point here.

Kids work for years to get the privilege of representing their State team at a proper National Championship.

I agree, all these other 'state' programs need to be clear they aren't actual state teams, just like national teams.

SAPSASA, Albury, NITP, SCC, ECC etc are development tournaments but aren't a true reflection of what State selection is and should be clear somehow.

It's disrespectful to those that have worked hard and earned the right.

Reply #548477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is trying to convince others they're an NBA player while wearing an NBA jersey
Training squad players wearing State or National team stuff to club trainings when they haven't actually made those teams is a bit different. If they're labelled as training squad stuff go for your life.

Could always ask the kids how they went in their latest state competition then give them a bit of a "that's awkward" look when they say they're actually just training squad etc.

Shame these 14 year olds into doing the right thing

Reply #548478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better clubs have official training attire or requirements, even at tryouts there is a uniform pre requisite. State team etc stuff isn't allowed to be worn anyway.

Reply #548484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get where the OP is coming from, but think it's a bit silly. What about when a kid shows up in their older sibling's old state singlet? Should you not be allowed to turn up to domestic training in your rep uniform if you play div 3 or below? What about kids who buy Nationals merchandise because their home association hosted it or they played div 5 at Aus Schools but only play domestic? Kids are going to wear the stuff they have.

Vic Country SCC uniforms look nothing like their State uniforms, so that would be an easy option if a state body actually cared about the prestige of the uniform. NSW Metro uniforms for ECC used to just be a mesh training singlet, too, and though they've gone to something more like their Nationals uniforms in recent years, they do say 'tour' or something similar.

But why bother? If the singlet is more important to the kid than the game, they're probably not going far.

Reply #548486 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Last time I was at the cricket there were tens of thousands of people wearing Australian team gear, but I suspect several of them were taking the piss as they had never actually played international cricket.

Reply #548495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand both views, here in SA the Metro teams have very little in terms of a "State style uniform" apart from their actual National Championships uniform. They do not get to keep their ECC or SCC uniforms, just a very plain t-shirt! NITP uniforms are red, blue and white and don't really resemble a state uniform.
Country SA are quite the opposite with Albury teams, SCC teams and a variety of other teams that claim to be state teams. I would assume there is $$$ to be made with more team = more uniforms ?

Reply #548540 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Anybody wanting Australian Singlet let me know of to Bali in a few weeks,can get them for $5 Australian,but seriously do we have to be the fun police all the time,kids are meor intuned to what the uniforms mean,and if they are selected to where these uniforms they have every right to be wear it with pride,90% of players selected at this level do so because they never a little bit of ego and self belief ,and lets face it doesn't matter be it in a sporting field or every day life if you haven't got self belief,you haven't got much,so let's leave the kids alone fun police

Reply #548545 | Report this post

mimas99  
Years ago

The SA Country uniforms for Country Cup are not State uniforms. They have "Magpies", "Sharks' or "Redbacks" on them and are part of a development squad.

Reply #548548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The VIC NITP uniforms look nothing like Metro or Country nationals gear. Agreed the NPP uniform could be a little misleading.

Reply #548549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Country seem to have 200-300 state reps. All uniforms are in state colours and look pretty much like a state uniform! The team at last years SCC had SA COUNTRY on the uniform and in state colours?

Reply #548551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of kids in green and gold because they made NPP in VIC, country seem in particular seem to have a "more the merrier" approach.

Reply #548573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will call you out on that anon^, that is BS, the VC NPP group is very small and always has been. I sense a level of jealousy or envy in your post!

Reply #548575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think to be Fair uniforms should be distinctly different and players - parents should understand that STATE level is National Championships only, anything else is DEVELOPMENT.
NITP and NPP are different again yet at a similar level to STATE. It is certainly a level or so higher than events like Albury, ECC and SCC.

Reply #548656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bla bla.... anyone that tries out for rep at collingwood allstars is in. Even if you dont try out you will get a game. come on down and where whatever you like

Reply #568130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We hear it all the time. My kid made state team. No they didn't. They are one of many in development squads who will play random teams at invitationals between a couple of states and many will not progress through to represent at Nationals. Same as the Schools stuff. Be proud but don't overinflate things and be humble and maintain perspective. So when your kid doesn't actually make the state team they are not so disappointed and have to back pedal and say I was dropped. You were never quite in it. Squad and team are different. This is not jealousy or knocking kids or parents just being realistic for the protection of kids emotional health and being factual so they and the parents don't look like they are unaware of the reality of things and prepared for disappointment and enjoy the real excitement if it comes.

Reply #568132 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754