PJ
Years ago

SEABL Championship Games

So the East and South Conference Champions have been decided. All that's left now is to decide the SEABL Champions.

Mt Gambier vs Albury/Wodonga in the Men's, Dandenong vs Kilsyth in the Women's.

The Men's final promises to be a cracker. These two teams only played each other once in the regular season with the Bandits winning at home in overtime.

I'm totally biased so I'm picking the Bandits to win by four.

The Women's game should also be a close one. Dandenong by two at home.

Looking forward to a great weekend.

Topic #37908 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mt Gambier will get back to back championships. They will get the win relatively comfortably.

Reply #548455 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Gambier for back-to-back

Reply #548466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, they bought eight players so of course they will win! Money talks

Reply #548467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they should have bought a new stadium too

Reply #548471 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

It should be a tough game for the men's championship. The Pioneers run deeper but the Bandits have a a lot of threats & have shown they can match it with any team in the league.

I had concerns about the Bandits lack of depth but they've done very well with just the 8 players getting regular minutes & even when this dropped to 7 after Sepokas' season ended early. They did much the same last time they won it all in 2007. The Pioneers have a stacked roster for sure but you can only have 5 players per team on the court at once & the 2 starting 5s match up pretty well.

Reply #548503 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

they last won it in 2012

Reply #548509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure they need a new stadium, seem to have a pretty decent winning strike rate at this one.

on the issue spending, which teams in the league would have the biggest budgets?

Reply #548512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Budget wise it'd be rural teams like Bendigo, Albury, Mt G followed by Hobart, NWT, Dandy, Nunawading.

If you look at the ladder over a 3-5 year period as a general rule you'll see the clubs that have the larger budgets to attract better coaches/players/support, that said they are also the best run and most organised teams hence they probably can fund/support the expenses

Reply #548555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For a program that loses money every year because their council doesn't support them the Supercats do very well in every area on court and off court.

Reply #548558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Throw Geelong in that group as well.

Reply #548560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry to deflate your argument but Albury's budget is not what you think. Hence the reason they can't keep their imports past one season if they're any good. Other clubs offer more money. Brad just flat out does s good job recruiting. Everyone on that roster has a 9 to 5 except the two Americans.

Reply #548562 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

Oops, yes Michael... I knew it was 2012. Don't ask me why I typed 2007.

Reply #548591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think you might be surprised about what the big city teams pay particularly their imports. Im sure Bendigo and Ballarat have decent budgets too. I think the budgets of the two championship sides would surprise most. Im only guessing but I think they would only be middle of the road. They do other things better which entice players and are perhaps the most balanced teams and their coaches are exceptional at choosing budget imports that perform better than those paid much more in the league.I would have thought in no particular order Nunawading, Dandenong, Geelong, Bendigo would be at the top of the player spend table next would be teams like Albury, Ballarat, Mt Gambier, Hobart, NWT, Brisbane, Kilsyth those at the bottom would be canberra, sandringham, frankston

Reply #548599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to factor in accomodation costs etc which a number of the city teams aren't paying except imports.

Can't imagine the entire Mt G team or Bendigo/Ballarat live in those towns during the summer months.

Think alit cones down to club networks/organisation with helping find jobs locally etc for Albury & others as well, it's my always bout the $$ for every player.

Also the imports can be hit and miss regardless of budget lots of really god players from small colleges hungry to perform and guys not at the level with everything in between so it's a bit of a lottery really, even bringing back proven imports is hit and miss due to attitudes etc

Reply #548604 | Report this post

PJ  
Years ago

I think you'll find Albury are closer to the bottom than the middle. Smart recruiting, great culture and a club run entirely by volunteers. They deserve a lot of credit for their recent success.

Reply #548610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you have more $$$ to spend on better quality imports, then you can get it done.

Reply #548629 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Actually anon^ I disagree to a point, have seen some great choices made that fit a team and help them win, not necessarily that they were the most highly paid import but rather just a good fit is more important IMHO.

Reply #548631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury to get over the line..Deba George is a big game player and will drag them over the line wth support from the imports

Reply #548632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or debs could have 38pts and 2 assists on 13/40 shooting from the floor

Reply #548636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You also have to remember that is was only a few years ago that the Bandits were allowed to play on and pay off their debt.

Reply #548668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the deal with the Final in Dandenong, would the SBC/Cage be more beneficial?

Reply #548704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would that benefit?

Reply #548705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheaper option good facility

Reply #548707 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:08 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754