NBL Crowd figure goals?

In my opinion, this seasons home crowds goals need to be the following:

Perth at least 12,000 per home game
Sydney at least 8,000 per home game
Melbourne at least 8,000 per home game
Adelaide at least 6,500 per home game
Wollongong at least 4,000 per home game
Townsville at least 4,000 per home game
New Zealand at least 4,000 per home game (should really be aiming a lot higher)
Cairns at least 4,000 per home game

Topic #37927 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry re Sydney 8,000 per home game at Sydney Entertainment Centre and every game sold out at SSC, with solid viewership numbers on FOX Sports

Reply #548993 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

To the OP, what is this based on? Revenue recovery/profit making? General enthusiasm for basketball in those cities? Just curious, especially with your additional comment about NZ should be aiming a lot higher.

Reply #549008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Figures are based on nothing more than what I think would be a passable goal for the first season of the "New" NBL

Reply #549009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re New Zealand, the game of basketball is really growing in their country and with their success of recent years, I would like to think they can draw much larger crowds, particularly at Vector Arena

Reply #549011 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Yeab bit confused over this, esp the Sydney. I keep hearing how 'people wont go to Homebush for anything' and yet you think the smaller place will be full? Everyone knows Sydney people only are behind a team if they are winning, so I think you need rexamine your numbers.

Id also factor is the new days teams are playing on when doing your numbers. Its going to make game day crowds vary wildly!

Reply #549019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes but the NBL needs to aim high!

Reply #549022 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Obviously we'd all like to see crowds grow and membership significantly. But so far nothing has happened to make that happen. Nothing has happened to make people who haven't been to an NBL game for years or ever suddenly decide to go.
NBL fans like us know there are some great players back in the league BUT the average Joe doesn't.
Last thing the average Joe knew the league was collapsing, again!

The league, the clubs and the die hard fans need to spread the word.
TV advertising and then once the seasons starts we need plenty of exciting highlights on FTA TV news etc ( not just when they canuse the "Basket Brawl" headline).

Hopefully clubs are prepared to offer cheap tickets or give tickets away early in the season to get people to "come and try". Then they need to make the game night experience more than just a game of basketball. Its a night of entertainment.

Reply #549034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

swish, I couldn't agree more

Reply #549036 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Adelaide 6,500 per game? lol no.
If we want to be super optimistic on the back of a hopefully epic marketing campaign:

Perth: 11,800-12,000
Sydney: 5,000 @ Syd Ent, 4,200 @ Homebush
Melbourne: 6,000
Adelaide: 5,200
Wollongong 3,500-4,000 (expectations of reasonable success)
Townsville 3,500 @TEC
New Zealand 3,700 @NSEC
Cairns 4,200

If each team averaged those figures, they'd be ecstatic. Also, NZ really need a bigger stadium IMO.

Reply #549038 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Its time for Hawks fans to really show up now that they have a team that can mix it with the other contenders.

They should be aiming for 3,000 a game as a minimum even if they only improve to 13-16 wins.

Townsville should also have a significant increase going on a low base from last year. 2,500-3,300 should be in their sights.

Crowds will vary wildly given the Wed-Sun schedule, but im optimistic of an increase in attendance given the extra promotion that the league should have.

Reply #549058 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ have a bigger stadium where theyve played the majority of their games the past couple of years. A really good outcome this season would be even slightly eclipsing the numbers from recent years given the increase in midweek games.

Reply #549069 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I seem to remember the Crocs saying a few years ago that they need crowds of 4000 to every game. I believe it may be less this season though due to a cheaper roster.

Reply #549095 | Report this post

swish, what city are you in?

Reply #549098 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Some of these figures are pretty optimistic given the midweek schedule.

As for promotion, apparently LK will be funding team specific promotions concentrating on each teams star players.

Reply #549115 | Report this post

Social Superstar  
Years ago

the affect of mid week games and all games being televised live has on attendance will be interesting to watch this season.
IMHO i think attendance and the Distinctive Homes Titanium Powerhouse Dome Arena will depend on form. If this line up performs poorly, attendances will drop. But in Adelaide the band wagon pulls hard and has room for everyone. If the team is winning, and entertaining to watch i think the crowds will come.

Reply #549132 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Swish lives in country SA. Loves the NBL. Had close connections with 6ers at the very start. But this isn't about me Supt. Its about Australia's best kept sports entertainment secret - the NBL.

Reply #549134 | Report this post

I don't think it's fair that you say "nothing" has been done to get people back to games because Perth has been doing a bloody good job of it for the past few years. Granted, not all clubs are equal but one club not doing something well (like the Sixers with any sort of fan engagement) does not mean all clubs are dropping the ball in the same fashion.

Reply #549143 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

Really unsure how "the gong" is gonna attract 4000 every home game. Cairns over the last season generally sold out every game. Adelaide's figures are always around the 5500 number and traditionally thats been quite acceptable.
Can quote on Sydney, Perth and Melbourne cos don't take a whole interest on matters to do with other clubs but given the size both city wise or of membership wise Perth is easily the number one club. Come sydney, and melbourne behind. Margaret Court only holds what 7000?

I tend to agree with KET on his figures. A lot more do-able and closer to the mark. Would be nice to get ANON's figures however without Commonwealth funding, probably wont happen until at least Brisbane enter the comp.

Reply #549153 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Margaret Court only holds what 7000?
United are only playing a maximum of one game there. 13 of their games are split between Hisense and the Cage, with one game that will either be at Hisense or MCA depending on the Davis Cup.

Reply #549159 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBL have been active on Twitter and Instagram. More they could be doing, but not too bad. I imagine there would be promotions on Fox once that deal ramps up.

Clubs are been reasonably active too. Melbourne and Sydney definitely seem more active than past years.

Reply #549181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As for promotion, apparently LK will be funding team specific promotions concentrating on each teams star players."

Where did you hear this?

Reply #549192 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Why are United only playing one game at MCA? They made quite a big deal about that venue when it first opened. I thought it seemed like a pretty good venue and somewhat more suited than Hisense Arena.

Reply #549211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a guess but perhaps they are confident of attracting bigger crowds than 7,000 per game?

Reply #549214 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Possible, but I doubt it. I would say they would be thrilled if they can get 6,000 on a regular basis, and thats perfect for MCA.

Can understand that the Cage is being used when the tennis is on.

Reply #549215 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I think clubs "talking" with "facebook friends" or "sending the odd Twitter" is the mimimum all clubs could / should do, but it's really not going to make a connection with the "un-washed", those poor souls who have lost their first love for the game and does even less for the blank canvases out there.

They neeed to do things that make mainstream media sit up and talk about them in a positive way.

It's not easy but they've got to make it that anytime basketball is mentioned they think about the NBL, just like whenever someone mentions Aussie Rules people think of the AFL. Every local stadium should have posters featuring NBL / WNBL players. Every kid playing basketball in Australia should be able to name the teams in the NBL.

Hopefully the new TV deal will help with that, but that means the one game on FTA TV has to be really well done.

Reply #549260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

won't be any real changes, nothing in general media to promote the league to the general public

Reply #549853 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:08 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754