Anonymous
Years ago

Larry Kestelman Interview on Sky Business

www.switzer.com.au/video/larry-kestelman/

Topic #37942 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was hoping he would go into detail about he was going to Market the NBL but nonetheless a good interview.

Steve Carfino? Nooooo...

Reply #549219 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Watching the interview. It doesn't seem like Carfino will be a commentator. It seems more likely he has given his imput on the direction of the league. The guy is busy, and thankfully so.

I don't like how interviews always start with "So, what went wrong with the league?"

We aren't here to talk about that. We are here to talk about what we are doing right.

Reply #549267 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

What annoys me when interviewers, and people in general question what went wrong with the league is that a huge part of what went wrong was when the media gave up on the competition.

Its not all one way the fault of the NBL. When the media gave up on it, the league had pretty much no chance to stay relevant.

Reply #549273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What went wrong?

Wow, what a loaded question, well how about the fact the NBL forced the Dragons to leave the league and under BA it just went down hill from there!

Reply #549280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have committed to bringing Brisbane back next season, he said it, wow!

Reply #549282 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I think NBL fans need to understand it is not upto the media to make our league attractive.
We have to earn their involvement or like soccer has done, buy it.

The mainstream media is made up of many individual businesses all trying to make money. They make money by having content that the know or expect will appeal to the market they are selling into. If their content sells then advertisers jump on board, becasue they want to advertise where the eyes are.

The AFL doesn't ask media to support it. The media want to be asociated with the AFL. The bid for the right to cover it. Every Tv channel knows their news service has to have an AFL story or viewers will watch other news services.

So effectivively even the AFL has to buy media coverage - they just don't have to do it directly. Public demand means businesses want to advertise around AFL, so they pay for it.

What KL has had to do is convince a TV station that our product will attract viewers.- the old screen it/ and promote it, and viewers will tune in. Based on recent evidence this is not an easy sell so if we end up with every game live on Foxtel, plus 1 game live on FTA plus quality live streaming ( potentially stealing viewers from TV) then I think LK has done a great job.
I also think he may have had to finincially back it to try to get it going.
Lets face it, LK is investing his money and has 3 years to make this thing return a profit. SO if he's investing his own money in getting games live on TV he's hoping it proves a winner so next time more channels actually want to bid to show NBL.
He's also investing in 'dressing up" the league so it scrubs up well on Tv compared to all its competitors.
I hope we NBL fans appreciate what he is doing and how much he is investing and don't start knocking him everytime we don't understand his logic or think he should have made everyone love the game.

Reply #549283 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

"What went wrong?

Wow, what a loaded question, well how about the fact the NBL forced the Dragons to leave the league and under BA it just went down hill from there!"

It went down about 10 years before that.

Reply #549284 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Definitely agree Swish, and I do realise the media is a business and the content they put has to generate $$$.

Absolutely its up to the NBL to win that back.

The general point I was making about the media giving up is that they did that when the league was still going strong (albeit when it first showed signs of started to wane a bit - going as far back as 1996)

From there the NBL began it's on-going struggle. Even though the number of teams was still high, crowds were still strong in some markets, and sponsors were still hanging around. It was the media's sudden lack of interest in my opinion that really stuffed the competition up. Which contributed to all the other problems the comp has had since (perception of it being dead, clubs folding etc)

Reply #549286 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I think you are spot on @swish, his interview was very specific in relation to what is going to be required going forward and how this business plan of his along with the best qualified people in the right positions will drive the league's future success.

We must remember that the A-League was in part saved by a businessman who has a passion for the sport he loves, so for want of a better description Larry is our Frank...

Reply #549287 | Report this post

"well how about the fact the NBL forced the Dragons to leave the league "

The Dragons left because their vision for the league was not supported by anyone else, except McPeake, who quickly came crawling back after a brief hissy fit. Oh, and debt. A shitload of debt.

Reply #549289 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed Swish!

Reply #549291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dragons the first or only NBL team that were forced out because of debt were they?

Reply #549293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No the Dragons wanted a free for all where teams could spend what they like on players initially the Tigers sided with them but then that didn't last too long once they realised that no other team was going to join them.

Reply #549297 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The media stopped following the league for a reason.

Actually, a lengthy, lengthy list of reasons.

Reply #549331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LKG has proved themselves already by doing what Marvin couldn't do nor the NBL under BA.
The interesting thing will be to see what agenda he has in time.
Suggestions are no Cairns and no Townsville down the track, replaced with on mainland capital cities involved.

Reply #549336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns and Townsville appear to be on the mainland of Australia last time I checked.

Reply #549338 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Were they capital cities the last time you checked?

Reply #549339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK has committed to Brisbane.

I can't see Cairns or Townsville being replaced by teams in Canberra, Darwin or Hobart. I can't see a second team in Sydney working so perhaps another team in Melbourne.

Reply #549341 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754